Marked for Vengeance (Book One: The Alyx…

Marked for Vengeance (Book One: The Alyx Rayer Chronicles) (edition 2012)

by SJ Pierce

26None411,736 (2.67)3
Member:AuntieClio
Title:Marked for Vengeance (Book One: The Alyx Rayer Chronicles)
Authors:SJ Pierce
Info:
Collections:Your library, Read, eBook
Rating:***1/2
Tags:MG, 75 in 2013, January TIOLI, Digital

Marked for Vengeance (Book One: The Alyx Rayer Chronicles) by SJ Pierce

for a book tour coming up on the 17th.
****************
This book was very unique! It kept me hooked without ever explaining anything in full. I thought - well, perhaps I better read the synopsis again as this is not what I originally thought it was! (I'm not a synopsis reader as I came across quite a few that gave the book away entirely! I read the blurbs to see if I'm interested in reading the book and then I dive into the book later when reading without refreshing myself on the blurb!) Anyway, so for a moment I thought I should reread the blurb, but decided to plow ahead and just keep reading. This story unfolds in spirals and reveals only vague ideas, a tiny bit at a time, while keeping you in suspense. You know that this is Alyx's third time on Earth, that she has a Marked, and that her kind only lives 3 times. She is an old soul in a young body...and really this is where I felt sad for her: she doesn't get her own full life to live. At first, I thought her Marked was someone she had to kill! But you soon learn that it is her person to protect.

Alyx and her Marked, Isaac, are likable because they are NOT perfect. Isaac is so normal as a widower mourning his wife and whose only cares are his son and his art, inspired by his vivid dreaming. Still grieving for his wife and yet tenacious enough to hunt Alyx down after a chance encounter t ofind out who she is.

Alyx is endearing because she seems so...lost. She is a endearing mix of uncertainty and confidence, reverent and rule-breaking. She doubts herself and doesn't know her powers, but is sure enough to break the rules and desire Isaac. Her first thought when violence erupts is to protect those she loves including her friend Cindra. She doubts her abilities and yet still leaps forward on faith. It makes her human and vulnerable.

Her vulnerability combined with Isaac's genuine emotions and reactions pull the reader in fast and deep. The ending...omg I've never been happier to have a sequel in my hands already. *blows out a breath* MY KINDLE LIED AND SAID I HAD 15% MORE TO GO! I did not. :( ( )
  a_tiffyfit | Sep 21, 2013 |
Alyx Rayer is a Protector sent to Earth to watch over her Mark. Alyx appears to have it all great job, apartment, and boyfriend but what she feels for "painter man" makes her feel different. She's not suppose to have any contact with her Mark but she secretly watches him paint from a neighboring building. Isaac Walsh has been dreaming about angels for a very long time now and puts those dreams on canvas he paints. Isaac is a single father raising his son Micah since his wife passed away five years ago. Alyx needs to tell her boyfriend the truth about how she really feels and not to lead him on any more than she already has. Alyx's friend Cindra helps Alyx not feel so lost. A strange man in a black suit wearing fedora makes Alyx's tattoo sting whenever he's around. Alyx has always been told that she'll know the correct time for getting her Mark needs to be. Will Alyx be honest with herself? Who is this strange man? What is Isaac really dreaming about? How does Cindra help Alyx? Your answers await you in Marked for Vengeance.

This is definitely a very different take on angel lore. I liked that the author didn't assume everyone knows about angel lore. I appreciated the attention to detail large and small. I loved Alyx's internal struggle of wanting to watch Isaac for no other reason other than she wanted too. Alyx's struggle made her easily relatable for me. I loved the build up and suspense the author created. I will definitely continue with this series. ( )
  WolfFaerie17 | Apr 29, 2013 |
Reading this book is not something that I enjoy very much. First the pdf was horrible the font size was supper small and really hard to read with some phrases in bold and others not. Taking apart this appearance problems the book is not fluid every description is like something mechanical but not something coherent that creates a world. The idea of the book is not bad but I was expecting something complicated, the author create a word with many dimensions and a hierarchy of gods that are mischievous creatures. These gods don’t trust their creations and are everything but loving creatures and they are supposed to be the good guys. Those topics are great topics for a book but this book didn’t exploit the potential buried in it. I’m disappointed and I did not recommended this particular book maybe the next would be better. ( )
  CarolinaS | Mar 15, 2013 |
At the beginning of the story the reader witnesses the birth of a creature (Alyx). Alyx -is an alien-angel??- sent to earth to guard a man named Issac. She is to stay near him (but never meet him) and wait for a sign. She has lived out two other lifetimes, without the sign being seen. Alyx is to live out a mostly normal life. however, this is complicated when she begins to have feelings for her charge. She follows him more than she should, even going so far as to sit across the street from his building to watch him paint. When he catches her one night, her carefully ordered world starts to topple. After her superiors send out a call to bring him in, things only get worse. she now has to run with him while trying to keep him alive, and her heart safe despite all the odds.

I thought the idea behind this story was intriguing. At times I felt the diologe of this story was a little stilted. Sometimes the author adds so many descriptions that it interrupts the flow of the book, and takes away from the overall story. I also would have made the forward into an endnote because I think it gives away too much of the story.

I think I will give the second book in the series a chance to see if there are similar issues in it, and if not I will continue the series because the idea behind it is different. If there are similar issues I'll stop reading them. ( )
  Kaybee2188 | Feb 11, 2013 |
The best thing an author can do is keeping answering, "and then what happened next?" The next best thing is to make the reader scream, "No! nonononono! It can't be over yet!" While SJ Pierce's writing voice is still immature in places, she tells a heckuva story. I'm thankful there are two more books in the series because I'm not sure I could handle not knowing what happens to the Protectors, the Warriors and the impending war. ( )
  AuntieClio | Jan 27, 2013 |

“Isaac was more than just precious to her, he was precious in ways the world could only fathom. If she failed, she failed everyone.” –Marked for Vengeance

Alyx Rayer’s existence in Atlanta, the eternally bustling capital of Georgia, is one of routine and blending in among the worker bees. But her ‘normal’ life is actually a façade for a higher calling; she's a three hundred year old soul, encased in a human vessel and sent from the darkness between heaven and Earth to capture her Marked when summoned by her superiors.

During the initial, routine stake-out of her Marked, a dream prophet named Isaac Walsh, Alyx is thrown for an emotional loop when his allure captivates her heart from two rooftops away. The event marks the very instance when her sense of what’s right and what’s wrong is brutally challenged as her contact with him is strictly forbidden.

While already trapped between honor and desire, her emotional struggles are further challenged by a man in a black suit who continually pops up when she least expects it, his presence evoking a strange response from the scar she was branded with at birth. The scar tingles like a warning beacon, alerting her that something is amiss. Because her superiors never told her what this would mean, or much of anything except what to do when they summon, she can only conclude to try and keep her sanity, and her life, from completely shattering to pieces.

This engaging first book of the series is a Paranormal Romance novel interlaced with twists, turns, and thrilling suspense that is sure to satisfy readers of any genre.

May not be suitable for YA.

SJ Pierce is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,401,462 books! | Top bar: Always visible