The Epicurious Cookbook: More Than 250 of…

The Epicurious Cookbook: More Than 250 of Our Best-Loved Four-Fork Recipes…

by Tanya Steel

26None411,872 (3.83)None

The Good Stuff

Incredible variety of recipes
Lots of interesting & unusual combinations
Each recipe has comments from Epicurious users
Wife wants you to know the Index is fabulous
The banana bread recipe is the best we have ever used - Jen makes an excellent banana bread but this one is even better
I didn't have time to make any of the recipes so Jen actually did all the cooking and baking -- she's getting better too
The pictures make the recipes look appetizing -- however there are very few pictures for such a large cookbook
I wasn't sure about Jen making the zuccini fritters but damn they were tasty
Everyone at Jen's work loved the two cookie recipes she made & they ate them all - she barely saved any for me
Like the organization of the cookbook into seasons
most of the recipes use ingredients that are readily available at most grocery stores

The Not So Good Stuff

Needs a lot more pictures
Many of the recipes have way too many steps for my wife

Favorite Recipes

Amazing Chocolate Chip Peanut Butter Cookies Pg. 282
Sweet n' Smoky Meatloaf - Pg 352
Zucchini Patties With Feta - Pg 114
Beef Stew w/ Potatoes and Carrots - Pg 252
Dark Chocolate & Cherry Oatmeal Cookies - Pg 199 (Jen substituted almond extract for the vanilla & it really gave the cookies a spark)
Banana Bread w/ Chocolate Chips & Walnuts - Pg 208
Wild Mushroom Lasagne - Pg 236 (A lot of steps but wonderful flavor)

Who Should Use

There are quite a few easy to make recipes, but still wouldn't recommend it for the truly beginner cook
For the cook who wants to experiment

4/5 Dewey's

We received this from Random House in Exchange for an honest review ( )
  mountie9 | Nov 23, 2012 |

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0307984850, Paperback)

A Letter from Tanya Steel to Amazon Cooks

Moroccan Stuffed Squash
Download the recipe for Blueberry Buttermilk Pancakes

Who would have thought that the millions worldwide that view Epicurious as their sous chef, who return daily to their digital recipe boxes seeking their favorites, would crave a printed product?

Epicurious was founded on the principle that good food should be enjoyed by, and accessible to, everyone; that our global village of home cooks can provide invaluable expertise; that the world's great culinary minds should be showcased in recipe, video, article. But being a purely digital product—albeit one available via computer, smartphone, tablet, printer, and refrigerator—left some of our passionate community desiring one thing more—a printed cookbook. Some wanted it so they could read the book in bed, salivating over the food photography and delicious recipe titles. Others asked from a more practical point of view, saying they still liked to cook from an actual book, pages collecting flour and absorbing grease as the tangible proof of a delicious memory. And then a vocal minority just wanted to know what recipes we editors liked most, asking us to act as curators.

So, we took up the charge, selecting from amongst the top-rated recipes voted by users. The process was, well, lengthy. Try going through a database that numbers 200,000, choosing from amongst the best of the best, created by the likes of Gourmet and Bon Appétit magazines, top cookbook authors like Edna Lewis, Dorie Greenspan, and Bruce Aidell, renowned chefs like David Chang, Tom Colicchio, and Jonathon Waxman. It was hard! Arguments ensued. Knives were drawn at dawn—umm . . . kitchen knives . . .

We decided to structure the book the way we all eat and cook—by season—then by meal course or type. Because we love and value our community, we also chose to feature some of our most talented home cook recipes, and gave them the royal treatment—testing, cross-testing, and then editing and photographing their family recipes. We strove to find the perfect member comment to add editorial insight into each recipe and wrote headnotes that supplied menu ideas, cooking tips, and substitutions. We created menus so that any reader could just flip to the back and get a preplanned meal. And, finally, we convinced legendary food photographer Ellen Silverman, who had just come off shooting Gwyneth Paltrow's cookbook, to render shots of the dishes just as they would look in any of our kitchens—rustic, fresh, tasty.

And so here we are, about to give birth to Epicurious' first-ever cookbook. We couldn't have done it without the support and encouragement of our vocal global cooking club, and we couldn't be more proud of the results.

We hope it will become one of your all-time favorite classics.

Warmly,

Tanya Steel
Editor-in-Chief
Epicurious, Gourmet Live, Gourmet.com, and coauthor of Real Food for Healthy Kids

Molly O'Neill Interviews Tanya Steel, Author of The Epicurious Cookbook

Molly O'Neill is the author of One Big Table as well as New York Cookbook, A Well-Seasoned Appetite, The Pleasure of Your Company, and Mostly True. A former reporter for the New York Times and the food columnist for its Sunday magazine, she hosted the PBS series Great Food. She has won the Julia Child/IACP Award, three James Beard citations for books, journalism, and television, as well as the foundation's Lifetime Achievement Award. She has twice been nominated for a Pulitzer Prize.

Tanya Steel is that rare breed of food-loving editors who came of age in print journalism and moved seamlessly into the online world. Packing a decade’s worth of old-media discipline and tradition, she turned Epicurious.com into the premier site for people who cook. Ms. Steel is all of what her name implies. She is also a serious superstar.

Launched by Condé Nast in 1995, Epicurious was initially imagined as a digital repository for Gourmet and Bon Appétit, the company's two food magazines. In 2005, when Steel took the helm, she began commissioning more and more original work, minding dining and cooking trends and serving up feasts of words and recipes for all the demographic groups that comprise a Big Time readership.

Since then, Epicurious has collected almost 200,000 recipes, and every month 9 million unique users log on to answer the question of the day: What the heck am I going to cook for dinner (or for Thanksgiving, or for my shiny new boyfriend, or my in-laws, or the eight people I impulsively invited to dinner on Saturday night)? The Epicurious Cookbook is a finely curated volume—250 recipes drawn from the sea of online possibilities—all of which have been test-driven with the savvy and determination generally associated with Detroit's crash-car experts.

Out of my 15,000 cookbooks, it feels like one of the handful that I will actually keep in the kitchen, a book that captures this moment in American appetite. I called Tanya Steel to ask how she did it—and why.

Continue reading the complete interview [PDF]

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:35:26 -0400)

Provides more than two hundred best-loved recipes from Epicurious.com, including chili con carne, mascarpone cheesecake, crab hush puppies, wild mushroom lasagne, and beef empanadas.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,461,683 books! | Top bar: Always visible