Unexpected Christmas Hero by Kathi Macias

Unexpected Christmas Hero (edition 2012)

by Kathi Macias

Reviewed By: Arlena Dean
Book Blog For: GMTA
Rating: 5

Review:

" Unexpected Christmas Hero" by Kathi Macias was not just a Christmas Holiday story, but one of 'Homelessness' which can and has happened each and every day of our lives. These people without shelter, food, warmth could be any of us like Josie's but as this story will flow we will see God's love and how he does care for all of His people.

What is this story all about....

the scenes surrounding Josie are dominated by Christmas decorations and carols, Josie finds
on the kindness and generosity of others. What she doesn't know is that the influence of one
One who waits for her. He becomes her unexpected Christmas hero."

Ms. Macias did a wonderful story job at making it all real and bringing the truth to us. Now, what can we do...because to many 'homelessness' Christmas is everyday without what they need! After reading this you will feel like the story has truly touched your heart, now what can you do about this? Would I recommend this read? YES! ( )
  arlenadean | Apr 9, 2013 |
I had never heard of Kathi Macias before I read this book. I can’t say that I will read her books again or not, especially, since they aren’t in the genre I usually read. But I will say Unexpected Christmas Hero for me is one of those rare books that I will hold dear in my heart. This book is beyond emotional. There aren’t words to express how much this book touched me.

I think any woman in this world could be Josie. Josie really was living the “American dream” with a nice house in the suburbs, married to a wonderful man, and having great kids. Then over the course of a year or so, she lost all of that and more. Her mother died and then shortly afterwards so did her husband. With her husband’s death, Josie realized that her life was a lie. Her husband lost his job, but was too proud to tell her. He then cashed out all of their savings and even took out a second mortgage on their house, just keep up the pretense that everything was fine. Josie NEVER had any idea how broke and destitute they actually were. In a matter of months, they lost everything they had; their house, cars, furniture, jewelry, and clothing. Josie and her kids, seven-year-old Jacob and five-year-old Susanna only had the clothes on their backs and what little they could each carry in a backpack.

This story really starts with a chance encounter at a soup kitchen serving Thanksgiving dinner on Thanksgiving Day. Rick Johnson, a homeless vet strikes up an innocent conversation with the Meyers family sitting across the table from him. That brief encounter changed the lives of four people forever.

Rick is an incredible person. He has his own problems and issues, but he has such a STRONG belief in God. He doesn’t worry and knows that everything will be okay and just as it should be. Josie is a woman who found herself moving away from the Christian beliefs she was raised on. But with the help of Rick and several other strangers she meets in the weeks after Thanksgiving, she is able to forgive and restore her faith in God.

Unexpected Christmas Hero will reinforce your belief in God and remind you that there are indeed Angels walking amongst us. In this book, you will see the kindness of strangers at it’s best. You will realize that no matter how bad your day may seem or how bad you think things are for you, things could always be so much worse.

Unexpected Christmas Hero is what Christmas and Christmas stories are ALL about. It will touch your heart and make you question yourself and your humanity. It will make you want to be a better person. You just have to believe that things will happen in God’s time and not in your time.

Rating: 5 (This is a MUST Christmas read for now and years to come.)
Source: NetGalley
Reviewed for Read Your Writes Book Review blog ( )
  ReadYourWrites | Dec 10, 2012 |
When Josie's husband Sam passed away, she was horrified to learn that because of his financial decisions she and their children were left homeless. While eating Thanksgiving dinner at a shelter, they meet Rick, a homeless Vietnam vet. Josie doesn't realize that while Rick may not have a home, he can lead her back to her Heavenly Father and to the safety and security her children crave.

Anyone who can read this through with dry eyes is worse than the Grinch. There; I've said it. But it is not one of those sappy, schmaltzy Christmas novels that are so sweet they make your teeth hurt. This one has a message, and it really made me think. We're right in the middle of the season where shoppers trample one another to grab a bargain, while on the street outside there are people, even children, who don't know where their next meal is coming from or where they will sleep that night. If you feel, as I do every year, that your holiday is becoming too commercial, read this book. I guarantee you will give thanks with a truly grateful heart this year.

5 very thankful stars

Disclosure of Material Connection: I received this book free from the publisher through the Pump Up Your Book book review bloggers program. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255 : “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.” ( )
  Tammy.Ford.Cuevas | Nov 17, 2012 |
Kathi Macias has done it again, another book that makes you think..."There, but for the Grace of God, goes I". Such a tough subject of being homeless. You find yourself in their shoes, walking and feeling the cold. Hungry, and trying to get into shelters.
Kathi brings to life the "Street People", ones who maybe less than a year ago were living the "American" life. Then the rug was pulled out from under them.
We met a Mom...Josie Meyer's and her children Jacob, 7, and Susanna, 5. Her husband has died, and left her with nothing. They had to leave their home with just the clothes on their backs.
Along the way they met other people in the same predicament, some befriend them...Like Rick, a man with his own demons, and very sick.
We meet people like the Lunds, who don't have a lot, but open up their home and give all that they have. Also Nancy, who's love of the Lord compels her to help wherever and whenever she can.
The story takes place over the Holidays, and once you start you won't be able to put this book down...I couldn't!
This book makes a wonderful gift, and makes you appreciate all that you have been blessed with.

I received this book from the Publisher New Hope, and was not required to give a positive review. ( )
  alekee | Nov 13, 2012 |
Unexpected Christmas Hero – A Powerful And Heart Felt Read!

Author Kathi Macias wrote about a subject we won’t quickly forget. She brings to our attention a story that happens to people each and every day. We don’t often think about this subject because we are comfortable in our nice heated homes and we have plenty of food to eat. This story will touch your heart in a way you’ve never been touched before.

The story is about Josie Meyers and her two children living on the streets, homeless and constantly seeking shelter and food to eat. While she looses faith in God to supply her needs she relies on herself to take care of her children. After all why should she trust God? He hasn’t answered her prayers.

Rick is a homeless man who befriends first her children and then Josie. The children soon look forward to seeing Rick, Josie does too.

Josie doesn’t see the big picture of all the people God sends to help her along her journey. Will she ever resort to praying and trusting God again?

I was touched by this book and couldn’t put it down. I cried over how God not only protected Josie and her children but how he made a way for her each and every day. I cried about how simple and easy it is for us to put our faith and trust in God but yet I am guilty of trying to solve my own problems.

This story had an awesome ending. Yes, I sobbed. How could I not? I hope everyone reads this heart warming book.

A strange thing happened to me after I finished reading this book. A name and face of a woman in my church popped into my mind. I felt God urging me to pass this book along to her. I saw her at Bible study this morning and I told her, boy do I have a book for you to read. I promised to give her my copy at church on Sunday. I told her the author was Kathi Macias and I told her when she finished this book to pass it along to some one else.

Thank you Kathi for allowing this book to tug at our heart strings. Thank you for helping us open our hearts to those in need this Christmas season. Thank you for another powerful book that speaks to our heart. ( )
  passionforbooks | Nov 1, 2012 |

"Josie Meyers thinks she is living the American dream when she marries a nice, handsome man with a promising future. The dream quickly becomes a nightmare when Josie becomes a widow and must deal with the fallout of her husband's decisions. She soon finds that she and her two small children are forced to live on the streets and in homeless shelters. While the scenes surrounding Josie are filled with Christmas decorations and carols, Josie finds herself struggling with the demands of caring for her two small children. She is forced to lean on the experience and lives of other homeless people she meets. What she doesn't know is that the influence of one homeless man in particular is about to change the course of her life and lead her home to the One who waits for her. He becomes her unexpected Christmas hero." -- p. [4] of cover… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,284,642 books! | Top bar: Always visible