It's a Big Big World by Jane Brierley

It's a Big Big World

by Jane Brierley, André Labrie (Illustrator), Angela Rahaniotis (Editor)

I really enjoyed this book because of how well organized the information is as well as how engaging the illustrations are. Every page in this book shows an expanded map of the world. It first starts out with a flat globe view and then zooms in on North America, the United States, Europe, Asia, Africa, and Australia in the following pages. Each map shows the different regional characteristics, native wildlife, things that the certain countries and states are known for, along with activities that people do there. Even through each map takes up two full pages in this big book, there is also a compass, key, and description box for each major region which helps further the reader’s understanding.

The illustrations are very colorful and easy to navigate because each state is a different color, which helps your eyes break up the information into clear sections. On the United States pages, Mount Rushmore can easily be spotted in South Dakota, Lobster can be seen off the coast of Main and a race car is shown near the capital of Indianapolis. By having many characteristics of each state on the map it helps to put things into perspective when trying to understand how the United States is laid out. I liked how the illustrated characteristics in the key and on the map were actual representations of the animals and landmarks because it made the map more clear and helped me understand what palaces were similar and which were very different. For example, much of western Europe had grapes and mountain ranges where norther Europe had a lot of lumbering take place. Even though Italy and Finland are on the same continent, it is easy to see that their geographical regions are very different. The key did not represent every shown characteristic on the map because that would not be necessary. For example, the Eifel Tower is shown in Paris along with a camera which expresses to the reader that Paris is a place where people come to visit and take pictures of this structure. The key did not represent this because the reader can interpret the easy to see pictures for themselves. Overall this was a very useful world atlas the was fun to read. ( )
  Nkelln1 | Oct 16, 2017 |
An oldy but a goody! Choosing an atlas to include in my media log was not easy. I decided to use this atlas because we have four copies in our library. Our students in primary and in lower intermediate love to pull out these huge big book atlases and to explore each continent. Although notably simplistic, this atlas provides a great introduction to mapping skills and engages young viewers in an exploration of our "Big Big World". ( )
  mmeharvey | Apr 6, 2015 |

Brierley, Janeprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Labrie, AndréIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Rahaniotis, AngelaEditormain authorall editionsconfirmed

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,724,810 books! | Top bar: Always visible