Hooked (Harlequin Teen) by Liz Fichera

Hooked (Harlequin Teen) (edition 2013)

by Liz Fichera

Member:ilikethesebooks
Title:Hooked (Harlequin Teen)
Authors:Liz Fichera
Info:Harlequin Teen (2013), Edition: Original, Paperback, 368 pages

Hooked (Harlequin Teen) by Liz Fichera

fromjesstoyou | Mar 21, 2016 |
If you haven't read this, please don't look at the cover. It has nothing to do with the story.

I always judge books by their covers, either the image on the front or the synopsis on the back. This is a teen Harlequin; I usually don't go for the super steamy, always between-the-sheets Harlequins so one featuring underage kids wasn't something I was excited to read. Because of the front cover of this book, I fully expected to find half a dozen over-the top sex scenes. The synopsis wasn't very interesting and didn't really convince me that the story would hold up to my assumptions based on the front cover.

I hate throwing away books, so after weeks of trying to pawn it off on my sister, mom & niece (all judged its cover as not for them), I decided I'd cut it up and use it for crafting. I flipped to the middle of the book to see if I could find anything worthwhile to cut out as a readable background. And I started reading, and it was interesting! Then I flipped to another section and read a page-still interesting! So I went to the first page and started reading for real.

This is a typical wrong-side of the tracks love story. It also touches on dysfunctional families & racism. There are no sex scenes at all, although there are a couple innuendos & sexual references, and only like two kissing scenes. The ending is predictable. The reading is quick & easy.

The author has created interesting characters with a fair amount of chemistry. Most of the dialog was believable-there's a scene close to the end that is pretty emotional and it was believable enough to make me cry (not too difficult but still).

Needless to say, I'm glad I didn't upcycle the book without flipping through the pages as I had originally planned! ( )
  twileteyes | Feb 4, 2016 |
Fred Oday is basically begged by the coach of her school’s varsity golf team to join. He’s convinced she is his only chance of turning the team into champions. Fred is ecstatic to get the chance to play and hopes it might lead to a scholarship or two so that she doesn’t have to spend the rest of her life waiting tables at a fancy restaurant in Pheonix, Arizona like her mother. The problem, though, is that Lone Butte High School does not have a girl’s golf team, let alone a varsity one, so she is forced to play alongside the boys. Unfortunately, making room for her meant kicking one of the original players off the team. Seth is furious and does everything possible to to get “Pocahontas” thrown off the team. Torn between his best friend and his newfound attraction to his teammate, Ryan tries to stay away from Fred but her pull is too strong.

Ahhh, this was SO CUTE! I’m a sucker for these types of romances. I did have a couple issues with the story though. I felt like Ryan changed his mind about Fred a bit too quickly. It would have been more believable to see a gradual change in both of them, rather than having them all of a sudden be in love with each other. The ending resolution was also problematic for me. The issue was completely swept under the rug because everyone was preoccupied by what was going on with Fred’s father. It was a huge problem to just ignore like that. Ryan does redeem himself in a pretty big way though, so I can see why Fred would just want to let it go and start fresh.

Other than those two things, I really did enjoy Hooked. I like it when authors aren’t afraid to deal with issues like racism, gender inequality, and substance abuse. These things just make the story feel more real. People do have to deal with issues like these everyday, so why not incorporate them into your story? It always makes me feel that much more connected to the characters. I also really liked the Native American and golf aspects of the novel. I don’t think I’ve ever read a YA book that revolved around either.; it was a nice first.

I wouldn’t call this a ‘fun’ read, per se, because there are a few heavy topics and moments, but if you like a main character who fights for what she wants and does not give up even when her own family thinks she can’t do it, this is the book for you. Fans of Simone Elkeles’ Perfect Chemistry trilogy will definitely enjoy this debut novel by Liz Fichera. ( )
  joanab951 | May 21, 2015 |
First off, Thank You Harlequin Teen for sending me this book!!

This book is in two perspectives; Fred's and Ryan's

Meet Fred, A Native American girl who loves to golf. She joins the schools only golf team. Plot Twist: she's the only girl on the team. Fred gets a lot of support from the coach, but there is some serious dislike between her and the guys on the team.
Not only is she the only girl, but she is much better than all the boys on the team causing them to dislike her even more.

This is when she realizes that by joining the team she took somebody else's spot. This somebody happens to be Ryan's best friend, Seth. When Ryan and Fred are partners for the first golf tournament, Seth's revenge begins.

To keep this review spoiler free, all I can say is......

I didn't like Ryan. Nope. Not at all... There was just something wrong with his character. I found my self dreading the chapters written in his perspective.

Fred, on the other hand, was interesting. She had to deal with multiple stereotypes and serious real life issues (i.e: sexism, racist remarks, bulling) throughout the story. The interesting part was that she didn't get whiney like most female protagonists do today, she found healthy ways to deal with it. It was a welcome change.

While I didn't like the plot as much as I could have, I really enjoyed reading about Fred and Ryan's family life. Both come from families that have serious issues. For instance, early on in the book we find out that Fred's Mom is an alcoholic. How Fred deals with her Mom felt very real to me.
If the character building hadn't been so good, this book would have been utter crap.

Most of the book's contents made me want to burn my eyes.

The only characters I genuinely like were Yolanda and Kelly, two very minor characters. I liked them the best because they were literally the only people that could make me smile. They weren't even that funny. I was just desperate for any humor. ANY AT ALL. When you are so deprived, even the most rude and crude jokes were welcomed with open arms.

So in the end this book was bad.
Characters? Okay.
Plot? Bad.
Humor? None.

I can't say I'd recommend this to anyone. Sorry?

Review originally posted on my blog: bonjour books

AlllyCat | Apr 28, 2015 |
First off, Thank You Harlequin Teen for sending me this book!!

This book is in two perspectives; Fred's and Ryan's

To keep this review spoiler free, all I can say is......

Most of the book's contents made me want to burn my eyes.

So in the end this book was bad.
Characters? Okay.
Plot? Bad.
Humor? None.

I can't say I'd recommend this to anyone. Sorry?

Review originally posted on my blog: bonjour books

AlllyCat | Apr 28, 2015 |

Invited to become her varsity golf team's only female member, Fredericka Oday pursues a dream of earning a scholarship only to be challenged by golden boy Ryan Berenger, who resents Fred for replacing his best friend on the team.

2 avail.1 pay

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 108,497,658 books! | Top bar: Always visible