Hooked (Harlequin Teen) by Liz Fichera

Hooked (Harlequin Teen) (edition 2013)

by Liz Fichera

62None190,399 (3.59)None
Member:ilikethesebooks
Title:Hooked (Harlequin Teen)
Authors:Liz Fichera
Info:Harlequin Teen (2013), Edition: Original, Paperback, 368 pages

Hooked (Harlequin Teen) by Liz Fichera

This modern day Romeo and Juliette was enthralling. Once I started reading, I couldn't put it down and I read the whole thing in one day. In fact, when my kindle battery died with only 2 1/2 chapters to go, I took some drastic measures. (because I'm having issues charging it and can't sit and hold it while plugged in) I plugged it in, did all the little crazy things needed to get the charging light to come on, and then read the rest while standing beside my desk, bent over sideways to get the right angle.

And it was worth it!

Fichera does a great job keeping the tension moving forward with misunderstandings, prejudices, teen hormones, bullying best friends, family issues, and so much more. She pulls you into Fred and Ryan's world with ease. Everything is believable and rings true.

Bonus Points:

• It is a modern day Romeo and Juliette themed story, but you don't ever think, "Oh, this is like Romeo and Juliette" while reading.

• The sport is GOLF! Loved that she didn't make Fred a football player or something else a little more mainstreamed.

• I loved that Fred was Native American. Fichera did an excellent job portraying Fred's mixed feelings about where she fit in the world, or which world she wanted.

• Great family dynamics--the good and the bad.

• Ryan's best friend? SCARY and demented.

CharityBradford | Apr 1, 2014 |

And it was worth it!

Bonus Points:

• Great family dynamics--the good and the bad.

• Ryan's best friend? SCARY and demented.

CharityBradford | Apr 1, 2014 |
Fred (Fredricka) Oday joins the all boy high school golf team for only one reason: to receive the paid scholarship to a good college.

What she didn't sign on for is the harassment from the boys (because she's a girl) and falling for the one boy who falls for her. Is this a hole in one or one in the sand?

This was an alright read. A bit too much detail and events were drawn out to last forever.

My biggest complaint is the racism throughout the book. Not just towards Fred, who is Native American, but towards the whites. I thought it was unnecessary to the story and was biased.

How can there ever be equality when race is always brought up? It's always there; in books, movies, TV, even in politics. It turns me off. ( )
  Bookworm247 | Feb 4, 2014 |
NOTE: I received this book from Netgalley.

I should say that this is the very first book I read, where the sport wasn't football, or soccer. I'd certainly not read a book about golf, so I was totally confused by all the special terms - holes, clubs, score keeping, etc. All that aside, I must say that the story was rather nice. The author has addressed several types of conflicts:

-race-based (Native American vs. Caucasian)
-gender-based (a girl on an all boy golf team)
-friend-friend (do you stand by your friends no matter how wrong they are, or do you stand by what's right?)
-parent-child(how the parents' expectations or disappointment can and do affect - sometimes to the point of ruining - a child's life)

With all that said, I need to say a bit about the characters, too. So here goes:

-Fred, the lead female, was a very nice girl. She cared about her family (mostly about her brother and dad, because her mom was playing the victim all the time) & about golf. Her character was captivating and I think I could like her as a friend. She was real, honest, kind and completely innocent to the world.

-Ryan was such a wuss! I could hardly stand him until I reached the last 50 pages or so. He saw how wrong and out of his mind his friends were, how rudely they treated Fred, but he still didn't do anything to stop them. I'm just glad that he figured out who and what was important and what was the right thing to do. I'm a firm believer in forgiveness, so yeah, Ryan got it.

-Which leads me to Seth. He was one sick dude! There were times when I thought he was for a straight jacket and a mental institution. There was something very wrong with that guy. And the problem was really with his step dad, why didn't even one of his friends raise the issue? After all, domestic violence is punishable by law, isn't it?

Anyway, I don't think you'd regret reading this book. The story was realistic, and captivating. ( )
  VanyaDrum | Jan 26, 2014 |
Damn. Finally. I am done with Hooked.

Uh, I don't really like watching golf since I don't understand it. I mean the rules. I do understand you need to swing the club and hit the ball. Lol. But it's like educational ride for me.

I didn't even know that golf could be a team kind of game. Anyway, Hooked is not really something new. I mean, sure the golf is new but the story, not so well. Already read it somewhere else.

It is also a bit predictable in some parts. Like that thing between the two bestfriends. I already know how they would end up when I read they are best friends and that the other hates the race of the partner. :/

Although I have to admit that I didn't expect the ending with the best friends be like that. It's good that it ends like that. Oh, I don't really like Ryan that much since he can't man up. :/ It takes him like a long time to man it up.

I don't really like the subject of racism, so I don't like the way the kids treat the Indian kids. Anyway, it is fun and cute read. :) ( )
  lexiechan | Sep 10, 2013 |

Invited to become her varsity golf team's only female member, Fredericka Oday pursues a dream of earning a scholarship only to be challenged by golden boy Ryan Berenger, who resents Fred for replacing his best friend on the team.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,423,247 books! | Top bar: Always visible