Hooked (Harlequin Teen) by Liz Fichera

Hooked (Harlequin Teen) (edition 2013)

by Liz Fichera

Member:ilikethesebooks
Title:Hooked (Harlequin Teen)
Authors:Liz Fichera
Info:Harlequin Teen (2013), Edition: Original, Paperback, 368 pages

Hooked (Harlequin Teen) by Liz Fichera

Fred Oday is basically begged by the coach of her school’s varsity golf team to join. He’s convinced she is his only chance of turning the team into champions. Fred is ecstatic to get the chance to play and hopes it might lead to a scholarship or two so that she doesn’t have to spend the rest of her life waiting tables at a fancy restaurant in Pheonix, Arizona like her mother. The problem, though, is that Lone Butte High School does not have a girl’s golf team, let alone a varsity one, so she is forced to play alongside the boys. Unfortunately, making room for her meant kicking one of the original players off the team. Seth is furious and does everything possible to to get “Pocahontas” thrown off the team. Torn between his best friend and his newfound attraction to his teammate, Ryan tries to stay away from Fred but her pull is too strong.

Ahhh, this was SO CUTE! I’m a sucker for these types of romances. I did have a couple issues with the story though. I felt like Ryan changed his mind about Fred a bit too quickly. It would have been more believable to see a gradual change in both of them, rather than having them all of a sudden be in love with each other. The ending resolution was also problematic for me. The issue was completely swept under the rug because everyone was preoccupied by what was going on with Fred’s father. It was a huge problem to just ignore like that. Ryan does redeem himself in a pretty big way though, so I can see why Fred would just want to let it go and start fresh.

Other than those two things, I really did enjoy Hooked. I like it when authors aren’t afraid to deal with issues like racism, gender inequality, and substance abuse. These things just make the story feel more real. People do have to deal with issues like these everyday, so why not incorporate them into your story? It always makes me feel that much more connected to the characters. I also really liked the Native American and golf aspects of the novel. I don’t think I’ve ever read a YA book that revolved around either.; it was a nice first.

I wouldn’t call this a ‘fun’ read, per se, because there are a few heavy topics and moments, but if you like a main character who fights for what she wants and does not give up even when her own family thinks she can’t do it, this is the book for you. Fans of Simone Elkeles’ Perfect Chemistry trilogy will definitely enjoy this debut novel by Liz Fichera. ( )
  joanab951 | May 21, 2015 |

This book is in two perspectives; Fred's and Ryan's

Meet Fred, A Native American girl who loves to golf. She joins the schools only golf team. Plot Twist: she's the only girl on the team. Fred gets a lot of support from the coach, but there is some serious dislike between her and the guys on the team.
Not only is she the only girl, but she is much better than all the boys on the team causing them to dislike her even more.

This is when she realizes that by joining the team she took somebody else's spot. This somebody happens to be Ryan's best friend, Seth. When Ryan and Fred are partners for the first golf tournament, Seth's revenge begins.

To keep this review spoiler free, all I can say is......

I didn't like Ryan. Nope. Not at all... There was just something wrong with his character. I found my self dreading the chapters written in his perspective.

Fred, on the other hand, was interesting. She had to deal with multiple stereotypes and serious real life issues (i.e: sexism, racist remarks, bulling) throughout the story. The interesting part was that she didn't get whiney like most female protagonists do today, she found healthy ways to deal with it. It was a welcome change.

While I didn't like the plot as much as I could have, I really enjoyed reading about Fred and Ryan's family life. Both come from families that have serious issues. For instance, early on in the book we find out that Fred's Mom is an alcoholic. How Fred deals with her Mom felt very real to me.
If the character building hadn't been so good, this book would have been utter crap.

Most of the book's contents made me want to burn my eyes.

The only characters I genuinely like were Yolanda and Kelly, two very minor characters. I liked them the best because they were literally the only people that could make me smile. They weren't even that funny. I was just desperate for any humor. ANY AT ALL. When you are so deprived, even the most rude and crude jokes were welcomed with open arms.

AlllyCat | Apr 28, 2015 |
Do you think if I sit and stare at the blinking cursor long enough that I'll come up with something to say about this book? It isn't that the book was bad, per se, it was just bland. And predictable. And not really all that captivating or romantic.

Girl from the rez (as distinct from "Pretty in Pink's" girl from the wrong side of the tracks and "West Side Story's" girl from Puerto Rico) is a golf phenom. So the coach recruits her to play on the high school team . . . which is a boy's team. Fred (short for Fredricka, which she hates to be called) accepts and is stoked! Never mind that she and her family are poor and she has this 30-year-old golf bag and rusted clubs and no money to buy golf shoes with cleats; the girl can hit and putt and that's that. But, her being on the team means that someone else has to be off the team. And that someone else happens to be the best friend/bad boy of one Ryan Berenger, the guy who Fred kind-of-but-not-really has a crush on and who kind-of-but-not-really is attracted to Fred.

I'm fairly certain you can guess the major plot points from here on out:

-Seth (Ryan's best friend/bad boy/golfer kicked off the team to make room for Fred) has is in for Fred. He tries to sabotage her while Ryan looks on metaphorically biting his fingernails.

-Ryan fights his growing feelings for Fred but ends up inviting her to a party at his house with all of his friends anyway.

-Fred is picked on by the cool girls and hot guys and, yep, you guessed it, flees the party while Ryan looks on metaphorically biting his fingernails.

-Sam (a boy from the rez) has it bad for Fred and she sort of encourages him because, hey, what girl doesn't want to be wanted, amirite?

-Ryan is jealous of Sam and Fred is jealous of Ryan's sort of gal-pal. Both act out to make the other jealous.

Lather, rinse, repeat.

I am happy to report, however, that the ending is more "Pretty in Pink" than "West Side Story." And, after about two little kisses, Fred declares to her own mind that she wants more of Ryan, and not just his lips, and they go on to live happily ever after on a putting green near you.

So, yeah. Overall, not a terrible book, but, at least in my opinion, not a good one, either. Light, easy, quick; a predictable fluff read. Probably good for plane rides or a day at the beach if you're into that sort of thing. (I'm not a beach girl - I have very fair skin!) ( )
  Jenna.Czaplewski | Jul 3, 2014 |

Invited to become her varsity golf team's only female member, Fredericka Oday pursues a dream of earning a scholarship only to be challenged by golden boy Ryan Berenger, who resents Fred for replacing his best friend on the team.

1 avail.1 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 98,438,464 books! | Top bar: Always visible