Hooked (Harlequin Teen) by Liz Fichera

Hooked (Harlequin Teen) (edition 2013)

by Liz Fichera

Member:ilikethesebooks
Title:Hooked (Harlequin Teen)
Authors:Liz Fichera
Info:Harlequin Teen (2013), Edition: Original, Paperback, 368 pages

Hooked (Harlequin Teen) by Liz Fichera

This book is in two perspectives; Fred's and Ryan's

Meet Fred, A Native American girl who loves to golf. She joins the schools only golf team. Plot Twist: she's the only girl on the team. Fred gets a lot of support from the coach, but there is some serious dislike between her and the guys on the team.
Not only is she the only girl, but she is much better than all the boys on the team causing them to dislike her even more.

This is when she realizes that by joining the team she took somebody else's spot. This somebody happens to be Ryan's best friend, Seth. When Ryan and Fred are partners for the first golf tournament, Seth's revenge begins.

To keep this review spoiler free, all I can say is......

I didn't like Ryan. Nope. Not at all... There was just something wrong with his character. I found my self dreading the chapters written in his perspective.

Fred, on the other hand, was interesting. She had to deal with multiple stereotypes and serious real life issues (i.e: sexism, racist remarks, bulling) throughout the story. The interesting part was that she didn't get whiney like most female protagonists do today, she found healthy ways to deal with it. It was a welcome change.

While I didn't like the plot as much as I could have, I really enjoyed reading about Fred and Ryan's family life. Both come from families that have serious issues. For instance, early on in the book we find out that Fred's Mom is an alcoholic. How Fred deals with her Mom felt very real to me.
If the character building hadn't been so good, this book would have been utter crap.

Most of the book's contents made me want to burn my eyes.

The only characters I genuinely like were Yolanda and Kelly, two very minor characters. I liked them the best because they were literally the only people that could make me smile. They weren't even that funny. I was just desperate for any humor. ANY AT ALL. When you are so deprived, even the most rude and crude jokes were welcomed with open arms.

AlllyCat | Apr 28, 2015 |
Do you think if I sit and stare at the blinking cursor long enough that I'll come up with something to say about this book? It isn't that the book was bad, per se, it was just bland. And predictable. And not really all that captivating or romantic.

Girl from the rez (as distinct from "Pretty in Pink's" girl from the wrong side of the tracks and "West Side Story's" girl from Puerto Rico) is a golf phenom. So the coach recruits her to play on the high school team . . . which is a boy's team. Fred (short for Fredricka, which she hates to be called) accepts and is stoked! Never mind that she and her family are poor and she has this 30-year-old golf bag and rusted clubs and no money to buy golf shoes with cleats; the girl can hit and putt and that's that. But, her being on the team means that someone else has to be off the team. And that someone else happens to be the best friend/bad boy of one Ryan Berenger, the guy who Fred kind-of-but-not-really has a crush on and who kind-of-but-not-really is attracted to Fred.

I'm fairly certain you can guess the major plot points from here on out:

-Seth (Ryan's best friend/bad boy/golfer kicked off the team to make room for Fred) has is in for Fred. He tries to sabotage her while Ryan looks on metaphorically biting his fingernails.

-Ryan fights his growing feelings for Fred but ends up inviting her to a party at his house with all of his friends anyway.

-Fred is picked on by the cool girls and hot guys and, yep, you guessed it, flees the party while Ryan looks on metaphorically biting his fingernails.

-Sam (a boy from the rez) has it bad for Fred and she sort of encourages him because, hey, what girl doesn't want to be wanted, amirite?

-Ryan is jealous of Sam and Fred is jealous of Ryan's sort of gal-pal. Both act out to make the other jealous.

Lather, rinse, repeat.

I am happy to report, however, that the ending is more "Pretty in Pink" than "West Side Story." And, after about two little kisses, Fred declares to her own mind that she wants more of Ryan, and not just his lips, and they go on to live happily ever after on a putting green near you.

So, yeah. Overall, not a terrible book, but, at least in my opinion, not a good one, either. Light, easy, quick; a predictable fluff read. Probably good for plane rides or a day at the beach if you're into that sort of thing. (I'm not a beach girl - I have very fair skin!) ( )
  Jenna.Czaplewski | Jul 3, 2014 |
This modern day Romeo and Juliette was enthralling. Once I started reading, I couldn't put it down and I read the whole thing in one day. In fact, when my kindle battery died with only 2 1/2 chapters to go, I took some drastic measures. (because I'm having issues charging it and can't sit and hold it while plugged in) I plugged it in, did all the little crazy things needed to get the charging light to come on, and then read the rest while standing beside my desk, bent over sideways to get the right angle.

And it was worth it!

Fichera does a great job keeping the tension moving forward with misunderstandings, prejudices, teen hormones, bullying best friends, family issues, and so much more. She pulls you into Fred and Ryan's world with ease. Everything is believable and rings true.

Bonus Points:

• It is a modern day Romeo and Juliette themed story, but you don't ever think, "Oh, this is like Romeo and Juliette" while reading.

• The sport is GOLF! Loved that she didn't make Fred a football player or something else a little more mainstreamed.

• I loved that Fred was Native American. Fichera did an excellent job portraying Fred's mixed feelings about where she fit in the world, or which world she wanted.

• Great family dynamics--the good and the bad.

• Ryan's best friend? SCARY and demented.

CharityBradford | Apr 1, 2014 |

Invited to become her varsity golf team's only female member, Fredericka Oday pursues a dream of earning a scholarship only to be challenged by golden boy Ryan Berenger, who resents Fred for replacing his best friend on the team.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,165,279 books! | Top bar: Always visible