Hooked (Harlequin Teen) by Liz Fichera

Hooked (Harlequin Teen) (edition 2013)

by Liz Fichera

Member:ilikethesebooks
Title:Hooked (Harlequin Teen)
Authors:Liz Fichera
Info:Harlequin Teen (2013), Edition: Original, Paperback, 368 pages

Hooked (Harlequin Teen) by Liz Fichera

Do you think if I sit and stare at the blinking cursor long enough that I'll come up with something to say about this book? It isn't that the book was bad, per se, it was just bland. And predictable. And not really all that captivating or romantic.

Girl from the rez (as distinct from "Pretty in Pink's" girl from the wrong side of the tracks and "West Side Story's" girl from Puerto Rico) is a golf phenom. So the coach recruits her to play on the high school team . . . which is a boy's team. Fred (short for Fredricka, which she hates to be called) accepts and is stoked! Never mind that she and her family are poor and she has this 30-year-old golf bag and rusted clubs and no money to buy golf shoes with cleats; the girl can hit and putt and that's that. But, her being on the team means that someone else has to be off the team. And that someone else happens to be the best friend/bad boy of one Ryan Berenger, the guy who Fred kind-of-but-not-really has a crush on and who kind-of-but-not-really is attracted to Fred.

I'm fairly certain you can guess the major plot points from here on out:

-Seth (Ryan's best friend/bad boy/golfer kicked off the team to make room for Fred) has is in for Fred. He tries to sabotage her while Ryan looks on metaphorically biting his fingernails.

-Ryan fights his growing feelings for Fred but ends up inviting her to a party at his house with all of his friends anyway.

-Fred is picked on by the cool girls and hot guys and, yep, you guessed it, flees the party while Ryan looks on metaphorically biting his fingernails.

-Sam (a boy from the rez) has it bad for Fred and she sort of encourages him because, hey, what girl doesn't want to be wanted, amirite?

-Ryan is jealous of Sam and Fred is jealous of Ryan's sort of gal-pal. Both act out to make the other jealous.

Lather, rinse, repeat.

I am happy to report, however, that the ending is more "Pretty in Pink" than "West Side Story." And, after about two little kisses, Fred declares to her own mind that she wants more of Ryan, and not just his lips, and they go on to live happily ever after on a putting green near you.

So, yeah. Overall, not a terrible book, but, at least in my opinion, not a good one, either. Light, easy, quick; a predictable fluff read. Probably good for plane rides or a day at the beach if you're into that sort of thing. (I'm not a beach girl - I have very fair skin!) ( )
  Jenna.Czaplewski | Jul 3, 2014 |
This modern day Romeo and Juliette was enthralling. Once I started reading, I couldn't put it down and I read the whole thing in one day. In fact, when my kindle battery died with only 2 1/2 chapters to go, I took some drastic measures. (because I'm having issues charging it and can't sit and hold it while plugged in) I plugged it in, did all the little crazy things needed to get the charging light to come on, and then read the rest while standing beside my desk, bent over sideways to get the right angle.

And it was worth it!

Fichera does a great job keeping the tension moving forward with misunderstandings, prejudices, teen hormones, bullying best friends, family issues, and so much more. She pulls you into Fred and Ryan's world with ease. Everything is believable and rings true.

Bonus Points:

• It is a modern day Romeo and Juliette themed story, but you don't ever think, "Oh, this is like Romeo and Juliette" while reading.

• The sport is GOLF! Loved that she didn't make Fred a football player or something else a little more mainstreamed.

• I loved that Fred was Native American. Fichera did an excellent job portraying Fred's mixed feelings about where she fit in the world, or which world she wanted.

• Great family dynamics--the good and the bad.

• Ryan's best friend? SCARY and demented.

CharityBradford | Apr 1, 2014 |

And it was worth it!

Bonus Points:

• Great family dynamics--the good and the bad.

• Ryan's best friend? SCARY and demented.

CharityBradford | Apr 1, 2014 |
Fred (Fredricka) Oday joins the all boy high school golf team for only one reason: to receive the paid scholarship to a good college.

What she didn't sign on for is the harassment from the boys (because she's a girl) and falling for the one boy who falls for her. Is this a hole in one or one in the sand?

This was an alright read. A bit too much detail and events were drawn out to last forever.

My biggest complaint is the racism throughout the book. Not just towards Fred, who is Native American, but towards the whites. I thought it was unnecessary to the story and was biased.

How can there ever be equality when race is always brought up? It's always there; in books, movies, TV, even in politics. It turns me off. ( )
  Bookworm247 | Feb 4, 2014 |
NOTE: I received this book from Netgalley.

I should say that this is the very first book I read, where the sport wasn't football, or soccer. I'd certainly not read a book about golf, so I was totally confused by all the special terms - holes, clubs, score keeping, etc. All that aside, I must say that the story was rather nice. The author has addressed several types of conflicts:

-race-based (Native American vs. Caucasian)
-gender-based (a girl on an all boy golf team)
-friend-friend (do you stand by your friends no matter how wrong they are, or do you stand by what's right?)
-parent-child(how the parents' expectations or disappointment can and do affect - sometimes to the point of ruining - a child's life)

With all that said, I need to say a bit about the characters, too. So here goes:

-Fred, the lead female, was a very nice girl. She cared about her family (mostly about her brother and dad, because her mom was playing the victim all the time) & about golf. Her character was captivating and I think I could like her as a friend. She was real, honest, kind and completely innocent to the world.

-Ryan was such a wuss! I could hardly stand him until I reached the last 50 pages or so. He saw how wrong and out of his mind his friends were, how rudely they treated Fred, but he still didn't do anything to stop them. I'm just glad that he figured out who and what was important and what was the right thing to do. I'm a firm believer in forgiveness, so yeah, Ryan got it.

-Which leads me to Seth. He was one sick dude! There were times when I thought he was for a straight jacket and a mental institution. There was something very wrong with that guy. And the problem was really with his step dad, why didn't even one of his friends raise the issue? After all, domestic violence is punishable by law, isn't it?

Anyway, I don't think you'd regret reading this book. The story was realistic, and captivating. ( )
  VanyaDrum | Jan 26, 2014 |

Invited to become her varsity golf team's only female member, Fredericka Oday pursues a dream of earning a scholarship only to be challenged by golden boy Ryan Berenger, who resents Fred for replacing his best friend on the team.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,463,912 books! | Top bar: Always visible