Back to You by Priscilla Glenn

Back to You

by Priscilla Glenn

My first DNF in some time.

I don't know what the hell set me off about this, but I am so completely and utterly bored that I cannot fathom wasting my time reading this. Nothing, and I do mean nothing, from the first chapter caught my attention.

What's truly unforgiving to me is that Lauren's personality didn't jump at all. I started to get attached to Adam and then I realize he's not the main guy. The main guy appears at the end of chapter 1 and I'm like "... who gives a fuck?" Then the next chapter is a flashback and I lost my ability to can.
  lapiccolina | Jun 23, 2017 |
This book really struck a truth in me that I try to explain to others. It is not that all guys you date aren't good or even a good fit, it's that there are always the ones who you have that "something" with. The ones who always make your heart skip a beat and you feel a part of yourself will always belong to them. Priscilla Glenn truly demonstrates that to me in this book. ( )
  michellejester | Jun 17, 2017 |
Oh Laurel and Michael……. You were almost predictable. You were almost too mushy. Mostly you were mostly in love. This is a story of high school (not-so) sweethearts. The heart hides what the heart wants. They loved each other in high school, but stayed friends for many reasons…. always personal reasons that they didn’t share with one another. When they find each other again accidentally years later….. sparks fly, tempers flare, anger rises, love blinds.

What can I say? They loved each other for decades, and never let that love go. I was intrigued. I wanted Laurel to express herself so many times. I felt for Michael and his aching heart. I was sad for his daughter who just wanted a mother. ( )
  UANBookAddict | Dec 3, 2015 |

BACK TO YOU BY PRISCILLA GLENN with SPOILERS:

Found a new favorite author to add to my list!
Well written, contemporary read. Told in flashbacks, which I don't normally enjoy but this was done excellently. Kept me in suspense about what tore them apart 8 years ago. Their emotions, thoughts, facial expressions were very real to me.

8 YEARS AGO -
The "bad boy" scenario in the summary, is what first drew me to this read. He was a PERFECT bad boy. Everything a sweet young girl should stay way from. I thoroughly enjoyed this YA part of the book.
I felt the connection between them:
For her - that she had the prerequisite good girl crush on the bad boy, that she could see the worthiness in him that he doesn't see
For him - that she was this beautiful girl who put him on a pedestal he doesn't deserve to be on, that she was the girl that deserved only the best, that she was the best friend he could ever want. I wasn't convinced that he felt anything more than brotherly love and the utmost respect for her. This impression is further confirmed when learning that the hero moved on and loved someone else.
I felt that because she loved him, with all the intensity of adolescence, she placed unnecessary demands on him to reciprocate her feelings. That she placed too much of a burden on someone as young and troubled as he was, in expecting him to make a commitment to her, when he was clearly struggling with wanting to hold onto a friendship that meant so much to him. That she took advantage of his reliance on her presence in his life and his hormones and "encouraged" him into a physical situation before he was ready for it.

NOW -
I admired the hero's devotion to the things in his life that he felt was important. What a solid guy. Liked how the heroine stayed sweet and just as caring as she was as a YA.
Thoroughly enjoyed their reconnection: the tension, awareness between them.
I felt and didn't like -
- That after they parted 8 years ago, the heroine remained in emotional limbo from the devastation of losing "the love of her life".
- that they are perfect for each other now only because: she is a convenient mother figure for his daughter, she is as beautiful and sweet as she was before, he has matured into a fine young man, a gorgeous fine young man, at that and they have the chemistry and enough in common to make a relationship work
(I'm too much of an unrealistic romantic to like "convenience" to be a factor in any HEA)

I could have considered this an average, mediocre, cute read and accepted the things I didn't like, at face value, but I fell in love with the protagonists and chose to expect more from them than the average read would provide. I fell in love with the author's ability to project their feelings so accurately onto a piece of paper. There is one particular scene that stands out, near the beginning of the book, which made my expectations higher than they probably should be because Ms Glenn could very well be aiming for sweet and cute and here I am, projecting my own personal expectations. ***blush***

Can't WAIT to try other books by Ms Glenn because she is on autobuy for me from here on out. ( )
  BeegPanda | Aug 2, 2015 |
La sipnosis te hace pensar que es OOOOTRO mas del tipo pibe-rebelde-se-enamora-de-la-inutil-se-aman-y-no-entendemos-nunca-porque ....SIN EMBARGO , si bien es mas o menos esa la trama , CARECE del protagonista que vive con la P%$%nga alerta y de la piba idiota que deja de lado todo para andarle atras y tener 50 hijos .

La pareja principal es querible y es la de ellos (más que un romance con todas los clichés ) una historia de amor no correspondido . Primero , desde el punto de vista de ella en los años adolescentes, época en que la fulana soñaba con él Mengano pero su objeto de adoración no le daba ni la hora ; después , años más tarde , es la obsesión no correspondida de él , que vuelve a cruzarsela pero no es adorado como en sus años mozos y tiene que dejar de ser simplemente un tipo atractivo y jugarsela para merecerse a la muchachita .

Una historia dulce , sin demasiadas complicaciones . Para pasar el rato . Le doy 3/5 porque la segunda parte se me hizo un poco ridícula y predecible . ( )
  LaMala | Jul 8, 2015 |

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,215,029 books! | Top bar: Always visible