Back to You by Priscilla Glenn

Back to You (edition 2012)

by Priscilla Glenn

Member:tripsis
Title:Back to You
Authors:Priscilla Glenn
Info:CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform (2012), Paperback, 328 pages
Collections:Your library, Favorites
Rating:*****

Back to You by Priscilla Glenn

Warning. I’m about to rave about this book for a little while. Don’t say I didn’t warn you.
Back to You is just a great romance novel. The story takes place in current day and is told from each Lauren and Michael’s POV’s. The storyline flashbacks to when the two were in high school as well as to Michael’s troubled childhood.

Lauren and Michael were friends in high school who eventually fell in love. Michael had a mysterious past and was the topic of much gossip. He is your classic ‘bad boy’ type; stand-offish and intense. When he meets Lauren, who is instantly drawn to him, the two become friends. Michael feels like Lauren looks past his bad boy demeanor and sees the real him. As the years go by, they remain close friends, but there is always that attraction just beneath the surface. Michael becomes very protective over Lauren, he places her on somewhat of a pedestal. Lauren is the one who finally speaks up to him about her feelings, I won’t say anything else so not to give too much away other than they lose contact. Finally, eight years pass before the two find each other by chance again.

Lauren is working as a pre-k teacher while going to night school for her masters degree in child psychology. On her first day at work, Michael walks in to drop off his young daughter, one of Lauren’s new pupils.

I just love a good romantic reunion, and that is what happens here. I always enjoy romance that blossoms from friendship as well. Author Priscilla Glenn gives plenty of background story to these characters to make them feel real and to make you care about their story.
I really enjoyed how the story was slowly revealed with the flashbacks and I just had to know what would become of these two. Michael is a great hero because he puts Lauren’s feelings first. Lauren is a strong heroine, and as the story flows, you see how she’s always missed Michael, but moved on with her life.

Highly recommended to fans of contemporary romance and to those looking to get swept away in a sweet story for a little while. I will definitely be on the lookout for more from this author!

disclaimer: I purchased my copy of Back to You. This review is my honest opinion. ( )
  bookworm_naida | Dec 25, 2014 |
What a Great book , very emotional throughout the beginning all the way to the end .

When Lauren Monroe first laid eyes on Michael Delaney back in high school, she had every reason to stay away from him; within minutes of their first encounter, his volatile actions confirmed his notorious reputation. But Lauren saw something in him that caused her to question his bad-boy persona, and against her better judgment, she took a chance. She had no way of knowing that the unlikely friendship they formed would become so important to her.

Or that it would end so painfully.

Eight years later, when Lauren begins her new job at Learn and Grow Day Care, Michael is the last person she expects to see. Refusing to revisit the hurt and confusion of their past, Lauren vows to keep her distance from him. But staying away from Michael proves to be more difficult than she thought, despite her lingering grief and her instincts for self-preservation.

As Lauren and Michael recall the friendship that changed them forever and the events that tore them apart, will they finally be able to heal? Or will the ghosts of Michael’s past prove to be too much to overcome?

This book had emotion and love from the very beginning all the way to the end .

Lauren was a high school good girl , always did her schoolwork, homework etc. Michael was the high school badass . He always skipped class , got suspended etc.

I loved Lauren. She was strong and determined. She just wanted to move on with her life and forget the past. When suddenly Michael reappears in her life she wants to protect her heart from any further damage. She has a vulnerable side to her which just made her that much more real.

I was totally heart broken for Michael. As the story progresses we get glimpses of his childhood and it was sad to see the abandonment and hate he had to face everyday from a mother who truly hated him and a father who abandoned him . Michael was a complicated person but we can easily see how he is shaped the way he is from his past. Lauren was the one which held Michael's broken life together with their unlikely friendship.

Love won out in the end as they both realized the love they had for each other never left after 8 yrs and they knew that they were meant to be together .

Chris.BlogEmporium | May 6, 2014 |
After reading the reviews of this story I wanted to fall in 5-star love with this book. It didn't happen for me, while I did enjoy the characters and their deep flaws, I never really connected to their story. It starts in high school with a typical 'bad boy' with a terrible home life and a sweet girl with eyes only for him. While they are never more than best friends in high school, once Michael graduates(a year ahead of Lauren) all bets are off and they have one afternoon together that changes everything. Until the next day when she realizes Michael has continued with his plans as if nothing ever happened. They apparently do not speak, phone, text, facebook, twitter or get any info from friends on each other for 8 years. I'm not sure how the title fits here since they were never really a couple (Back to you should really be You, at last or something along those friends that blur the lines love stories).

8 years later Michael walks into Lauren's day care with his daughter. Lauren has not only never been married, but has forsaken all others once the memories of this guy invade her head. This is when their love story starts again and where this story starts to lose me. Lauren has a budding relationship with a great guy that she shuts down hard. I was crazy for Adam and wanted to cheer for them once they finally hooked up. Without giving up too many details of this solid 3 star read, I just never believed Michael ever LOVED Lauren they way she loved him. I never felt him work for her love at all. She falls into his lap and he is all wow, she's great with my kid and I've known her all my life and she does not care that I barely have a job while I put myself through community college so let's be in love.

Lauren's best friend and Michael's ex-girlfriend are not developed enough to care about anything they think or feel so you are left with Lauren and Michael to tell the story. If this book gets picked up by a major publisher it needs to go back to the author to develop these characters more deeply. I need to see Michael's love be somewhat more equal to Lauren's devotion to him and I need more reasons this is her one true love. ( )
  sharonhd | Mar 13, 2014 |
What can I say about this book that can actually do it justice?! This book was such an amazing and emotional read! I absolutely loved it! The writing is what truly makes this book special. Flenn wrote the book in third person so you get a POV from Michael and Lauren, but every other chapter is a flashback; thus making the reader swoon one chapter, then be heartbroken the next.

Cover love
I like the cover, but I would like to see a bit more. If I hadn't heard amazing things about this book, and judging by the cover I might not have picked it up.

Main character..
I loved Lauren in this book.. I felt bad for her too. In her teens she was hopelessly in love with Michael but they would never work out, who hasn't been there!? And in her adult life, she is still trying to get over him.

Swoonworthy scale: 7
I want to rate this higher on the swoon scale, but I can't. Looking back this book is more about relationships than actually swooning. Though at the ending is exceptionally swoonworthy scene, that is totally heatwarming!

Bonus Points: 1
I loved the fact that Michael was a single father. No matter the shit he was handed in his life, he was there for his daughter. I love the fact that the two bonded over the little girl. It gives you hope that when you're older with a child that you can still find the love of your life.

Summary

THEN: Michael and Lauren meet in high school. The become the best of friends, though Michael has a terrible reputation. He is a bad boy, and Lauren a good girl. They both secretly loved each other, but Michael would never be good enough for Lauren.

NOW: Lauren starts working at a day care while she is going back to further her education. That's where she reunites with Michael and meets his daughter. Despite her being shattered by the way Michael left her, she can't help but love that little girl.

The two work on patching their friendship but can they repair all the damage that has been done? Can they move forward with so much pain in their past?

So this is one of my highly recommended books of 2012! I love it and plan on rereading it very soon! If you liked the movie Definitely Maybe (it is similar to the movie but a very different story, they are both equally as cute), you'll love this book! ( )
  asgwilli | Dec 2, 2013 |
I completely, totally, utterly loved this book. Its beyond great and more than I expected. At first I was apprehensive but I kept reading and its totally worth every minute. A story of acceptance where theres controversy, friendship, love, forgiveness. I just finished this book and there are no words to describe how I feel about it other than I loved it. And im gonna read it again. I enjoyed the characters and going back and forth between past and present and in the right places. The author was aces with that. I never felt lost or frustrated with the back and forth of past and present. The writing flowed smoothly and its was very easy to lose myself in the story. A must read and very worth it ( )
  angieanzaldua | Jan 11, 2013 |

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 95,748,932 books! | Top bar: Always visible