Back to You by Priscilla Glenn

Back to You (edition 2012)

by Priscilla Glenn

Member:tripsis
Title:Back to You
Authors:Priscilla Glenn
Info:CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform (2012), Paperback, 328 pages
Collections:Your library, Favorites
Rating:*****

Back to You by Priscilla Glenn

What a Great book , very emotional throughout the beginning all the way to the end .

When Lauren Monroe first laid eyes on Michael Delaney back in high school, she had every reason to stay away from him; within minutes of their first encounter, his volatile actions confirmed his notorious reputation. But Lauren saw something in him that caused her to question his bad-boy persona, and against her better judgment, she took a chance. She had no way of knowing that the unlikely friendship they formed would become so important to her.

Or that it would end so painfully.

Eight years later, when Lauren begins her new job at Learn and Grow Day Care, Michael is the last person she expects to see. Refusing to revisit the hurt and confusion of their past, Lauren vows to keep her distance from him. But staying away from Michael proves to be more difficult than she thought, despite her lingering grief and her instincts for self-preservation.

As Lauren and Michael recall the friendship that changed them forever and the events that tore them apart, will they finally be able to heal? Or will the ghosts of Michael’s past prove to be too much to overcome?

This book had emotion and love from the very beginning all the way to the end .

Lauren was a high school good girl , always did her schoolwork, homework etc. Michael was the high school badass . He always skipped class , got suspended etc.

I loved Lauren. She was strong and determined. She just wanted to move on with her life and forget the past. When suddenly Michael reappears in her life she wants to protect her heart from any further damage. She has a vulnerable side to her which just made her that much more real.

I was totally heart broken for Michael. As the story progresses we get glimpses of his childhood and it was sad to see the abandonment and hate he had to face everyday from a mother who truly hated him and a father who abandoned him . Michael was a complicated person but we can easily see how he is shaped the way he is from his past. Lauren was the one which held Michael's broken life together with their unlikely friendship.

Love won out in the end as they both realized the love they had for each other never left after 8 yrs and they knew that they were meant to be together .

Chris.BlogEmporium | May 6, 2014 |
After reading the reviews of this story I wanted to fall in 5-star love with this book. It didn't happen for me, while I did enjoy the characters and their deep flaws, I never really connected to their story. It starts in high school with a typical 'bad boy' with a terrible home life and a sweet girl with eyes only for him. While they are never more than best friends in high school, once Michael graduates(a year ahead of Lauren) all bets are off and they have one afternoon together that changes everything. Until the next day when she realizes Michael has continued with his plans as if nothing ever happened. They apparently do not speak, phone, text, facebook, twitter or get any info from friends on each other for 8 years. I'm not sure how the title fits here since they were never really a couple (Back to you should really be You, at last or something along those friends that blur the lines love stories).

8 years later Michael walks into Lauren's day care with his daughter. Lauren has not only never been married, but has forsaken all others once the memories of this guy invade her head. This is when their love story starts again and where this story starts to lose me. Lauren has a budding relationship with a great guy that she shuts down hard. I was crazy for Adam and wanted to cheer for them once they finally hooked up. Without giving up too many details of this solid 3 star read, I just never believed Michael ever LOVED Lauren they way she loved him. I never felt him work for her love at all. She falls into his lap and he is all wow, she's great with my kid and I've known her all my life and she does not care that I barely have a job while I put myself through community college so let's be in love.

Lauren's best friend and Michael's ex-girlfriend are not developed enough to care about anything they think or feel so you are left with Lauren and Michael to tell the story. If this book gets picked up by a major publisher it needs to go back to the author to develop these characters more deeply. I need to see Michael's love be somewhat more equal to Lauren's devotion to him and I need more reasons this is her one true love. ( )
  sharonhd | Mar 13, 2014 |
What can I say about this book that can actually do it justice?! This book was such an amazing and emotional read! I absolutely loved it! The writing is what truly makes this book special. Flenn wrote the book in third person so you get a POV from Michael and Lauren, but every other chapter is a flashback; thus making the reader swoon one chapter, then be heartbroken the next.

Cover love
I like the cover, but I would like to see a bit more. If I hadn't heard amazing things about this book, and judging by the cover I might not have picked it up.

Main character..
I loved Lauren in this book.. I felt bad for her too. In her teens she was hopelessly in love with Michael but they would never work out, who hasn't been there!? And in her adult life, she is still trying to get over him.

Swoonworthy scale: 7
I want to rate this higher on the swoon scale, but I can't. Looking back this book is more about relationships than actually swooning. Though at the ending is exceptionally swoonworthy scene, that is totally heatwarming!

Bonus Points: 1
I loved the fact that Michael was a single father. No matter the shit he was handed in his life, he was there for his daughter. I love the fact that the two bonded over the little girl. It gives you hope that when you're older with a child that you can still find the love of your life.

Summary

THEN: Michael and Lauren meet in high school. The become the best of friends, though Michael has a terrible reputation. He is a bad boy, and Lauren a good girl. They both secretly loved each other, but Michael would never be good enough for Lauren.

NOW: Lauren starts working at a day care while she is going back to further her education. That's where she reunites with Michael and meets his daughter. Despite her being shattered by the way Michael left her, she can't help but love that little girl.

The two work on patching their friendship but can they repair all the damage that has been done? Can they move forward with so much pain in their past?

So this is one of my highly recommended books of 2012! I love it and plan on rereading it very soon! If you liked the movie Definitely Maybe (it is similar to the movie but a very different story, they are both equally as cute), you'll love this book! ( )
  asgwilli | Dec 2, 2013 |
I completely, totally, utterly loved this book. Its beyond great and more than I expected. At first I was apprehensive but I kept reading and its totally worth every minute. A story of acceptance where theres controversy, friendship, love, forgiveness. I just finished this book and there are no words to describe how I feel about it other than I loved it. And im gonna read it again. I enjoyed the characters and going back and forth between past and present and in the right places. The author was aces with that. I never felt lost or frustrated with the back and forth of past and present. The writing flowed smoothly and its was very easy to lose myself in the story. A must read and very worth it ( )
  angieanzaldua | Jan 11, 2013 |
(This review was originally posted at My Library in the Making.)

I had high expectations when I started reading this book—thanks to a well-written positive review I'd read—and I was nervous because expectations almost always led to disappointments. Thankfully, Back to You didn't just meet those—it exceeded them.

For me, what made this book a solid hit were the two main characters, Lauren and Michael. At first glance, they were total opposites—the smart, kind, and beautiful girl, and the scary, temperamental guy who everyone avoided. Two very different people but both of whom I very much loved and wholeheartedly cared for.

I liked Lauren because although she got excellent grades and did gymnastics, she still managed to party and be a normal teenager. But I loved her for her genuine kindness; she saw the good in everyone—not just in Michael—and didn't care about what everyone else said.

Then we have Michael, the moody loner who preferred to keep people at a distance. He tried to scare her away by showing his true self, but Lauren proved she was there to stay. As the story unraveled and I learned the reasons behind his actions, the more my heart broke. God. I just wanted to hug him... for a whole day.

Their story was written in alternating chapters of the present and past, and I loved how after intriguing the readers in the present, we are taken straight to the event in the past that caused it. It was also in this way that we are acquainted with their romance, which always left me craving for more.

Having read this in less than a day—and without sleep, too—believe me when I say that Back to You was a real page-turner. Halfway through, I started feeling nervous for the ending, but Glenn couldn't have concluded this gripping story of understanding and forgiveness better.

MY FAVORITE PART was the epilogue, hihi. ( )
  kazhout | Jan 9, 2013 |

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,333,738 books! | Top bar: Always visible