Back to You by Priscilla Glenn

Back to You (edition 2012)

by Priscilla Glenn

Rating:*****
Tags:Fiction, Romance, Contemporary

Back to You by Priscilla Glenn

BACK TO YOU BY PRISCILLA GLENN with SPOILERS:

Found a new favorite author to add to my list!
Well written, contemporary read. Told in flashbacks, which I don't normally enjoy but this was done excellently. Kept me in suspense about what tore them apart 8 years ago. Their emotions, thoughts, facial expressions were very real to me.

8 YEARS AGO -
The "bad boy" scenario in the summary, is what first drew me to this read. He was a PERFECT bad boy. Everything a sweet young girl should stay way from. I thoroughly enjoyed this YA part of the book.
I felt the connection between them:
For her - that she had the prerequisite good girl crush on the bad boy, that she could see the worthiness in him that he doesn't see
For him - that she was this beautiful girl who put him on a pedestal he doesn't deserve to be on, that she was the girl that deserved only the best, that she was the best friend he could ever want. I wasn't convinced that he felt anything more than brotherly love and the utmost respect for her. This impression is further confirmed when learning that the hero moved on and loved someone else.
I felt that because she loved him, with all the intensity of adolescence, she placed unnecessary demands on him to reciprocate her feelings. That she placed too much of a burden on someone as young and troubled as he was, in expecting him to make a commitment to her, when he was clearly struggling with wanting to hold onto a friendship that meant so much to him. That she took advantage of his reliance on her presence in his life and his hormones and "encouraged" him into a physical situation before he was ready for it.

NOW -
I admired the hero's devotion to the things in his life that he felt was important. What a solid guy. Liked how the heroine stayed sweet and just as caring as she was as a YA.
Thoroughly enjoyed their reconnection: the tension, awareness between them.
I felt and didn't like -
- That after they parted 8 years ago, the heroine remained in emotional limbo from the devastation of losing "the love of her life".
- that they are perfect for each other now only because: she is a convenient mother figure for his daughter, she is as beautiful and sweet as she was before, he has matured into a fine young man, a gorgeous fine young man, at that and they have the chemistry and enough in common to make a relationship work
(I'm too much of an unrealistic romantic to like "convenience" to be a factor in any HEA)

I could have considered this an average, mediocre, cute read and accepted the things I didn't like, at face value, but I fell in love with the protagonists and chose to expect more from them than the average read would provide. I fell in love with the author's ability to project their feelings so accurately onto a piece of paper. There is one particular scene that stands out, near the beginning of the book, which made my expectations higher than they probably should be because Ms Glenn could very well be aiming for sweet and cute and here I am, projecting my own personal expectations. ***blush***

Can't WAIT to try other books by Ms Glenn because she is on autobuy for me from here on out. ( )
  BeegPanda | Aug 2, 2015 |
La sipnosis te hace pensar que es OOOOTRO mas del tipo pibe-rebelde-se-enamora-de-la-inutil-se-aman-y-no-entendemos-nunca-porque ....SIN EMBARGO , si bien es mas o menos esa la trama , CARECE del protagonista que vive con la P%$%nga alerta y de la piba idiota que deja de lado todo para andarle atras y tener 50 hijos .

La pareja principal es querible y es la de ellos (más que un romance con todas los clichés ) una historia de amor no correspondido . Primero , desde el punto de vista de ella en los años adolescentes, época en que la fulana soñaba con él Mengano pero su objeto de adoración no le daba ni la hora ; después , años más tarde , es la obsesión no correspondida de él , que vuelve a cruzarsela pero no es adorado como en sus años mozos y tiene que dejar de ser simplemente un tipo atractivo y jugarsela para merecerse a la muchachita .

Una historia dulce , sin demasiadas complicaciones . Para pasar el rato . Le doy 3/5 porque la segunda parte se me hizo un poco ridícula y predecible . ( )
  LaMala | Jul 8, 2015 |
Back to You is nice contemporary romance. The story takes place in current day and is told from each Lauren and Michael’s POV’s. The storyline flashbacks to when the two were in high school as well as to Michael’s troubled childhood.

Lauren and Michael were friends in high school who eventually fell in love. Michael had a mysterious past and was the topic of much gossip. He is your classic ‘bad boy’ type; stand-offish and intense. When he meets Lauren, who is instantly drawn to him, the two become friends. Michael feels like Lauren looks past his bad boy demeanor and sees the real him. As the years go by, they remain close friends, but there is always that attraction just beneath the surface. Michael becomes very protective over Lauren, he places her on somewhat of a pedestal. Lauren is the one who finally speaks up to him about her feelings, I won’t say anything else so not to give too much away other than they lose contact. Finally, eight years pass before the two find each other by chance again.

Lauren is working as a pre-k teacher while going to night school for her masters degree in child psychology. On her first day at work, Michael walks in to drop off his young daughter, one of Lauren’s new pupils.

I just love a good romantic reunion, and that is what happens here. I always enjoy romance that blossoms from friendship as well. Author Priscilla Glenn gives plenty of background story to these characters to make them feel real and to make you care about their story.
I really enjoyed how the story was slowly revealed with the flashbacks and I just had to know what would become of these two. Michael is a good hero because he puts Lauren’s feelings first and does not smother her. Lauren is a strong heroine, and as the story flows, you see how she’s always missed Michael, but moved on with her life and followed her goals.

Now, believe it or not, I have one single qualm with this book. I toyed with whether to mention this or let it go, since it was literally one word that bothered me, but it did bother me. During one of the flashback scenes, Michael says this to Lauren:

“Quit being such a bitch and just get in the car,” he said through his smile, opening his door.
p.67, Back to You by Priscilla Glenn

Now, it is not said in anger, it is said in jest, which in my opinion still does not make it right. A guy calling a female a bitch is a big no-no for me. I just find it so very offensive. Anyone, male or female, calling anyone the “B” word is offensive, but it bothered me here that he calls her that and she just laughs it off. Michael could have easily called her any other name in jest, a jerk, a dork…etc.

In Back to You it really felt out of character for Michael to be saying this and I was shocked when I read it. It immediately pulled me out of the story. Lauren’s character doesn’t even bat an eyelash at the name he called her and she just gets in the car and laughs it off.

So, even with my issue about the “B” word, I still enjoyed this book very much. I recommend this one to fans of contemporary romance and to those looking to get swept away in a romantic story for a little while.

Disclaimer: This review is my honest opinion. I did not receive any kind of compensation for reading and reviewing this book. I am under no obligation to write a positive review. I purchased my e-copy of Back to You by Priscilla Glenn. ( )
  bookworm_naida | Dec 25, 2014 |
What a Great book , very emotional throughout the beginning all the way to the end .

When Lauren Monroe first laid eyes on Michael Delaney back in high school, she had every reason to stay away from him; within minutes of their first encounter, his volatile actions confirmed his notorious reputation. But Lauren saw something in him that caused her to question his bad-boy persona, and against her better judgment, she took a chance. She had no way of knowing that the unlikely friendship they formed would become so important to her.

Or that it would end so painfully.

Eight years later, when Lauren begins her new job at Learn and Grow Day Care, Michael is the last person she expects to see. Refusing to revisit the hurt and confusion of their past, Lauren vows to keep her distance from him. But staying away from Michael proves to be more difficult than she thought, despite her lingering grief and her instincts for self-preservation.

As Lauren and Michael recall the friendship that changed them forever and the events that tore them apart, will they finally be able to heal? Or will the ghosts of Michael’s past prove to be too much to overcome?

This book had emotion and love from the very beginning all the way to the end .

Lauren was a high school good girl , always did her schoolwork, homework etc. Michael was the high school badass . He always skipped class , got suspended etc.

I loved Lauren. She was strong and determined. She just wanted to move on with her life and forget the past. When suddenly Michael reappears in her life she wants to protect her heart from any further damage. She has a vulnerable side to her which just made her that much more real.

I was totally heart broken for Michael. As the story progresses we get glimpses of his childhood and it was sad to see the abandonment and hate he had to face everyday from a mother who truly hated him and a father who abandoned him . Michael was a complicated person but we can easily see how he is shaped the way he is from his past. Lauren was the one which held Michael's broken life together with their unlikely friendship.

Love won out in the end as they both realized the love they had for each other never left after 8 yrs and they knew that they were meant to be together .

Chris.BlogEmporium | May 6, 2014 |
After reading the reviews of this story I wanted to fall in 5-star love with this book. It didn't happen for me, while I did enjoy the characters and their deep flaws, I never really connected to their story. It starts in high school with a typical 'bad boy' with a terrible home life and a sweet girl with eyes only for him. While they are never more than best friends in high school, once Michael graduates(a year ahead of Lauren) all bets are off and they have one afternoon together that changes everything. Until the next day when she realizes Michael has continued with his plans as if nothing ever happened. They apparently do not speak, phone, text, facebook, twitter or get any info from friends on each other for 8 years. I'm not sure how the title fits here since they were never really a couple (Back to you should really be You, at last or something along those friends that blur the lines love stories).

8 years later Michael walks into Lauren's day care with his daughter. Lauren has not only never been married, but has forsaken all others once the memories of this guy invade her head. This is when their love story starts again and where this story starts to lose me. Lauren has a budding relationship with a great guy that she shuts down hard. I was crazy for Adam and wanted to cheer for them once they finally hooked up. Without giving up too many details of this solid 3 star read, I just never believed Michael ever LOVED Lauren they way she loved him. I never felt him work for her love at all. She falls into his lap and he is all wow, she's great with my kid and I've known her all my life and she does not care that I barely have a job while I put myself through community college so let's be in love.

Lauren's best friend and Michael's ex-girlfriend are not developed enough to care about anything they think or feel so you are left with Lauren and Michael to tell the story. If this book gets picked up by a major publisher it needs to go back to the author to develop these characters more deeply. I need to see Michael's love be somewhat more equal to Lauren's devotion to him and I need more reasons this is her one true love. ( )
  sharonhd | Mar 13, 2014 |

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,038,726 books! | Top bar: Always visible