Hating Heidi Foster by Jeffrey Blount

Hating Heidi Foster (edition 2012)

by Jeffrey Blount

Info:Alluvion Press (2012), Paperback, 120 pages
Rating:***
Tags:YA fiction, death, grief

Hating Heidi Foster by Jeffrey Blount

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
A touching story of pain and loss but also forgiveness. The characters are well rounded and develop well. A good, quick read for YA readers and older.
  meliarose | May 18, 2013 |
I received this book from the author, Jeffrey Blount, in exchange for a fair and honest review.

At the Kensington Day of the Book Festival, I was intrigued by the title of an author’s book, Hating Heidi Foster. When I looked closer, I noticed actual photographs of two girls. How did these two things match up?

Jeffrey Blount, the author of Hating Heidi Foster, was kind enough to explain. He had witnessed a touching moment between his daughter and her best friend, and was inspired to write a book about friendship.

In Hating Heidi Foster, Mae McBride and Heidi were best friends, inseparable, and just starting high school. Until the day that Mae’s father died while saving Heidi from a fire in her home.

Mae is unable to forgive Heidi, tormented by the thought that her father chose Heidi over her, and that Heidi will live with her father, while Mae’s father is the one to die.

Will Mae ever be able to forgive?

Hating Heidi Foster is a touching story. I really connected with Mae, who struggles through the stages of mourning and adjustment as a young teen.

Just listen to Mae’s thoughts in this stunning quote from the beginning of the novel:

“But my relationship with my father was now ashes on the river and I felt myself becoming jealous of Mummy, because as of that day, I would never be a daddy’s girl again.” - p. 3

I like how there are positive role models in the story, adults who will guide Mae to make the right decisions, but also let her make her own mistakes. Mae has a great relationship with her Gran Gran (Dad’s mom), with her own mom, and with her other grandparents. That’s not something you always see in books, especially ones geared toward young adult readers.

Hating Heidi Foster is a young adult book, but it can easily be enjoyed by all ages. The book touches on positive relationships between teens and adults, teenage mourning, and forgiveness.

I really enjoyed reading it (and needed some tissues while doing so!) and I would recommend this book, especially to those young adult readers out there.

Thanks for reading,

Rebecca @ Love at First Book ( )
  LoveAtFirstBook | May 9, 2013 |
Reason for Reading: Teen books about death don't usually appeal to me but this one did for a couple of reasons. From the synopses I gathered the focus was going to be on the aftermath of the parental death (and not the agonizing leading up to that point of many teen death books) and secondly this sounded unique to me that the other focus was on friendship and how a tragic event affected a tight, close knit friendship. I also knew I could pass this on to my 14yo niece when I was finished as this is sooooo her type of book :-)

I am right pleased with having read this book. Far from the typical teen book dealing with death that I have read in the past this book focuses on how the death of a loved one affects us and how we can come to terms with it. It is a short book and a quick read but packs a powerful punch. The book starts off with the death of Mae's father while rescuing her BFF Heidi from a burning building but by Chapter 3 it is three months later. Told in the first person from Mae's point of view we also always get the sense that she is speaking from somewhere in her future and she is telling us this story from her past. While telling her story as if it is happening Mae also tells it with the wisdom of hindsight explaining her emotions in much more detail than she would have understood them at the time. By the end of the book we realize that Mae is much older now. A gripping story of a girl consumed by anger who slowly through the love of the very one she lost learns how to love again. Highly recommended! ( )
  ElizaJane | Feb 1, 2013 |
I was fortunate enough to obtain an autographed copy thru Library Thing. This book was a unique look at a teenager's grief through the eyes of a young girl named Mae Mc Bride, whose father passed while saving her best friend Heidi Foster. This tears their relationship apart. I did not care for some of the dialogue in the book, it seemed not really realistic for a teenager, but aside from that, it was a pretty good book. ( )
  lg4154 | Jan 26, 2013 |
Hating Heidi Foster is a bittersweet novel about teenager Mae McBride who has lost her father when he died trying to save her best friend Heidi Foster in a fire. Mae is consumed with grief and hatred for Heidi. Not understanding why her father would put himself in danger like he did is so overwhelming to Mae that she shuns all her friends and is consumed with her hatred for Heidi. Heidi on the other hand is also grieving, grieving the loss of a man who was like a father to her and also for the loss of her friendship with Mae. Her grief takes a different direction in that she doesn't eat, doesn't see her friends and withdraws from everything including school.
This story brought tears to my eyes, for all the characters in the story, for the grief that they all shared and for the ultimate love and forgiveness that these two girls finally gave into. A young adult story but one that can be read by anyone. It is a fast read and very enjoyable.
I received a copy of this book for review and was not monetarily compensated for my review. ( )
  celticlady53 | Jan 23, 2013 |
I have never been very good with faces.

Mae McBride and Heidi Foster were the very best of friends. Tied at the hip from early elementary school, their relationship was the stuff of storybooks, legendary even, in the minds of their high school classmates.

Unshakable. That is, until Mae's father died while saving Heidi s life. When Mae finds out, she blames Heidi. She blames her father for putting Heidi ahead of her. She blames her friends for taking Heidi s side. She begins to unravel amid that blame and her uncontrollable and atypical anger.

At the same time Heidi is beset by guilt, falls into depression and stops eating properly; wasting away physically and emotionally while waiting for Mae to let her back into the friendship she misses so dearly.

Mae, consumed by her hatred of Heidi, the confusion regarding her father's motives, the perceived desertion of her friends and her mother's grief, loses more and more of herself. What could possibly bring these two old friends back to each other? A miracle?

Hating Heidi Foster, is a young adult novel about the place of honor true friendships hold in our lives. It is about suffering and loss and the ethics of grief. It is about a deep and painful conflict, the bright light of selflessness and sacrifice and the love that rights the ship and carries us safely to port.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:33:55 -0400)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Hating Heidi Foster by Jeffrey Blount was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,460,090 books! | Top bar: Always visible