The Sin Eater's Confession (Carolrhoda Ya)…

The Sin Eater's Confession (Carolrhoda Ya)

by Ilsa J. Bick

Stationed with his Marines unit in Afghanistan, Ben plans to volunteer to infiltrate a Taliban-filled unit in the morning. Knowing that those who volunteer for these assignments usually don’t survive, he has decided to unburden his soul from a deep, dark secret he’s carried for 3 years. Read the rest of the review on my blog: http://shouldireaditornot.wordpress.com/2014/09/05/the-sin-eaters-confession-ils... ( )
  ShouldIReadIt | Sep 26, 2014 |
A young man claims himself and his pain via a sporadic diary entry written from his duty station in Afghanistan. The turmoil of Ben, the narrator, is instigated by severe events; but his fear that he doesn't know himself is common.

His story begins with his everyday, normal reality. It travels to a farm to help a grieving family keep things running. It follows a friendship that means different things to the participants. Or does it? It visits a moment of horror that drags the narrator through fear, anger, grief and a myriad of other emotions. It culminates with the narrator's decision to share his story. But does he? ( )
  LoftyIslanders | Feb 5, 2014 |
This is an intense story about what it means to be a friend, what it means not to be a friend, and what will you do or not do for a friend. A friendship between two teens turns awry after an incident is brought out into the open. What happens after this will shock you. The story takes on a new life after this and the ride keeps going until the end. I loved this book. I was not enamored with any of the characters, but, in this case it makes for a compelling read.
  bnbookgirl | Jul 7, 2013 |
The Sin Eater's Confession tells the story of Ben, a high school senior growing up in conservative middle America. When a young man he befriended takes a suggestive picture of Ben without his knowledge, rumors start to fly and Ben's life starts to implode. Prior to this incident Ben's focus was on getting into Yale and becoming a doctor afterwards, now he's not even sure if that was ever his dream or his mother's. The story is told through a series of journal entries detailing what a disaster Ben's life became and how he chose to deal, or ignore, certain situations that happened. I thought the book was well written and realistic, however, if you are looking for a book that ties up all loose ends then this book may frustrate you because as is the case in real life sometimes situations go unresolved. ( )
  68papyrus | Jul 1, 2013 |
This novel is very well written and disturbing at certain parts and I thought it was good. I did not think that this novel was for me, though. I went into it thinking it was going to be super creepy and thrilling and scary and it was not. But it was still really good and I think that a lot of people will enjoy this book. The main character is really relatable, especially to high school seniors, and I felt a lot for him and what he was going through. The plot was well played out and I definitely was not expecting the ending. I think that people who are looking for a creepy and murder-mystery book that is not really intense or too thrilling will really love this book. I loved the writing style and will be picking up her Ashes trilogy because of that.

3 Stars / 5 Stars
  lovelyreads | Apr 25, 2013 |

While serving in Afghanistan, Ben writes about incidents from his senior year in a small-town Wisconsin high school, when a neighbor he was trying to help out becomes the victim of an apparent hate crime and Ben falls under suspicion.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,554,826 books! | Top bar: Always visible