Goblin Night Fever by Indigo Lane

Goblin Night Fever (edition 2012)

by Indigo Lane

Info:lulu.com (2012), Paperback, 222 pages
Rating:**

Goblin Night Fever by Indigo Lane

Story:
Angelica is a zombie-lover with absolutely no concept of responsibility; including waking up in the morning, cleaning her room etc. She’s an outsider and regularly gets into trouble; at least until one day when all the grown-ups suddenly start to behave strange and the whole school is taken on an unexpected school trip. This trip turns out to be anything but ordinary and all the students end up “prisoners” in the Underkingdom; a place below ground where goblins, troggs and murkans live. Here, she meets Plopbottle; a timid goblin who loves all human things, including Earl Grey tea and Johnny Marino’s disco hits from the 70s. The two, along with some other friends, form an alliance stop the evil king’s war machine and to prevent their schoolmates from being cooked into a pie.

General things about the book:
I think it’s a bit too violent to be considered a children’s book. But it’s not gory violent; it’s the everydayness of it that’s the problem. Who uses “look bit like cave dog being smashed with big hammer” to explain how something looks like? “I’m gonna mush your skulls. I’m gonna mince your faces, then I’m gonna get the bits that are all minced up and mince them some more”. That’s a motivational speech from a work leader, who could have guessed? And the way one of the protagonists, Plopbottle, reacts to violence aimed at him, including being shot at and almost being executed. It’s like it’s nothing strange or wrong with being beaten unconscious; it’s just something that happens. So no, I don’t think it should be considered a children’s book.

Since English isn’t my native language, spelling and grammars aren’t really anything I usually take notice of. Neither is it anything that annoys me, even if I do take notice of it. As in this case; even I can tell that the language is a bit peculiar at times, especially when e.g. Plopbottle talks, but it’s not something that disturbed me.

Pros:
• I always thought, from the very beginning of the book, that Plopbottle was cute. How can you not like a small, timid goblin completely obsessed with something so peculiar as 70s disco music?

Cons:
• I didn’t like the cover; it put me off reading it for quite awhile. It just didn’t have any appeal to me.
• I had a hard time relating to Angelica; she was just too different from me.
• According to me, it didn’t have that little extra something needed to change it from a ok/good book to a great one ( )
  SofiaD | Apr 13, 2014 |
I thought this was a fun, quick read. I can see where people couldn't get into the dialog but I had no Problem. I would recommend this to kids and fun loving adults. I'm intrigued to see the direction a series will go. ( )
  wendyhinrichs | Jun 12, 2013 |
While the book was easy-to-read, I couldn't get into the story. The characters were unappealing and I disliked the dialect that some of the characters used. In addition, I found a couple of grammatical errors that annoyed me. This book just wasn't my type of book. ( )
  eheinlen | Jan 13, 2013 |

Indigo Lane is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,691,338 books! | Top bar: Always visible