Aracoeli by Elsa Morante

Aracoeli (original 1982; edition 2009)

by Elsa Morante, William Weaver (Translator)

Member:hemlokgang
Title:Aracoeli
Authors:Elsa Morante
Other authors:William Weaver (Translator)
Info:Open Letter Books; Univ of Nebraska Press (2009), Paperback, 311 pages
Tags:TBR, Open Letter Series, Italy

Aracoeli : a novel by Elsa Morante (1982)

English (9)  French (1)  All languages (10)
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
i couldn't finish this book. I just couldn't get into. That doesn't mean someone else won't be enthralled. ( )
  SigmundFraud | Oct 16, 2011 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I really wanted to like this book written by someone with such an interesting life! I have tried several times to read it and cannot go on. My reaction to it has been a kind of depressed boredom. After I got the book, I bought a biography of Morante and found it very interesting. If I figure out what the problem is between me and this book, I will return and update this review. ( )
  jhhymas | Dec 23, 2010 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Not quite all the way finished with this book, but I'm intrigued enough with it so far. "Careful" may be the best word to describe it at this point. The language can be a bit overly detailed and formal, but I do think it serves a purpose -- so the complaint may be more peccadillo than anything else. At any rate it formalizes the reading to a certain extent, which is never a bad thing as far as I'm concerned. Still, I'll admit I'm interested in getting my hands on some Morante, esp. "History." ( )
  gwalklin | Nov 5, 2009 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I really wanted to like this book, but the story never grabbed me. It's a very detailed tale, so if you like well painted scenes and memories, this is the book for you. I didn't have the patience for it during the summer. Perhaps a winter book.
  roniweb | Sep 23, 2009 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Upon receiving this book, I was immediately struck by the cover's resemblance to The Brief, Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao. The comparison is apt not only because they are both stellar works, but also because they both convey a sense of fated hopelessness.

As other reviews have mentioned, the highlight of this book is the exquisite language. William Weaver definitely deserves some credit for his beautiful translation. Despite the fact that I was torn between pity and disgust for the protagonist throughout the novel, reading about him was, if not a pleasant experience, a moving and surprisingly beautiful one. I think that Elsa Morante touches on a basic element of humanity in Emmanuel, the need that all people have to be loved and accepted. Emmanuel's search for those things certainly hit close enough to home to make me feel uncomfortable at times.

Although the pace is sometimes sluggish, it is definitely a masterfully crafted book that will haunt you some time after you've finished it. ( )
  brittlesmile | Aug 16, 2009 |

Elsa Moranteprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Weaver, WilliamTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ma mère était andalouse.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Aracoeli by Elsa Morante was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,241,179 books! | Top bar: Always visible