Oxford Whispers (The Oxford Trilogy) by…

Oxford Whispers (The Oxford Trilogy)

by Marion Croslydon

How would you react if your family has history of going crazy from interacting with ghosts? That is the history of Madison LeBon. She has always tried to stay away from this; distancing herself from what has troubled her family. That is why she went to Yale and then to Oxford University in England. Up until then, she has had a few interactions with ghosts. When she got to England, she made friends in Ollie and Pippa, who introduces her to Rupert.

At first glance, Madison is turned off by Rupert because of his playboy ways. She avoids him when he talks to her. This works until Jackson McCain, her tutor and boss, pairs them up for study partners. This job with Jackson is helping her to figure out what is happening in Oxford. She is drawn to this painting, The Wounded Cavalier by William Shakespeare Burton and to the characters of Sarah, Robert Dallembert and Peter Perkins. Even though she is seeing visions of Sarah and what happened in her time, it isn’t until the warning that “Peter will kill you” that she takes it seriously. What happened between Sarah, Robert and Peter? Will Madison stay to her initial feelings toward Rupert? Is Madison in danger?

At first this book was a little difficult to get into the rhythm of it. It would switch between Madison’s and Sarah’s time. Once I got reading a little, it got better. I liked how Madison didn’t want to accept her heritage and the gifts that her family had. It’s difficult to be different and Madison had seen the repercussions of this first hand. I also liked that she didn’t like the jock right away, or she didn’t want to admit to anyone that she did. Madison didn’t want to trust anyone with her secret in fear that they would shy away from her.

Rupert had his own struggles. He struggled with his father. He said his father couldn’t stand him. They constantly butted heads. He struggled with the grief of losing his mother; then to have this “American Girl” come in and throw him for a loop. I liked that Rupert wasn’t perfect and he never pretended to be.

This people that “haunted” (I use that term loosely) Madison were centered on a painting. I love art and that made me like this book even more. After reading the synopsis for Oxford Shadows and discovering it was centered on music, I think that would enjoy that book also. ( )
  YABReviews | May 13, 2013 |
After beeing latest rage in contemporary romance novels, new adult trend tries to spread influence into urban fantasy and paranormal genre. Oxford Whispers by Marion Croslydon follows a typical plot of a girl on college in a new environment that struggles with problems from past and present while trying to secure a better future.

Madison LeBon tries to escape her Louisiana roots, all the way across the ocean to the Oxford University, England. 'You can run away but you can't hide' proves right once again when one look at picture 'The Wounded Cavalier' by William Shakespeare Burton awakens whispers of the past that haunt her to solve their mystery... Madison struggles to accept awakening of her magical powers, getting accepted into new environment and attraction to the mouth-watering, rich and oh-so-not-her-type Rupert Vance.

Oxford Whispers tracks two stories: one set in present about Madison and other set in 1650 about Sarah and wounded Cavalier. Although there will be ghosts, mystery and magic, Oxford Whispers is more paranormal romance than urban fantasy. The paranormal elements are not much explained, you just have to accept them as it is. All we know about Madison's abilities is on demonstration basis and her explanation that they are part of her family heritage. Maybe the next part of The Oxford Trilogy will tell us more about whys and hows...

The center of the book is romance between Madison and Rupert and everything else is just plot element to push them together or drive them apart. And the romance is gooood. Although there is instant attraction, Madison and Rupert don't just jump into it and their feelings take time to develop. For all who like to have swoon-worthy heroes, don't worry Marion Croslydon got you covered. I'll let Madison describe Rupert to you:
"He's hotter than the hinges on the gates of hell."
"The full-lips-slash-chiseled-cheekbones combo was full-on cliche, but would melt a freaking iceberg."
"All things considered, for a guy that rich, he seemed relatively down to earth. Emphasis on relatively."

I could not establish any particular connection to characters in Oxford Whispers, so I felt a little bit detached while reading. I didn't like them or dislike them. When something was funny I laughed, when they were sad - well, I didn't laugh but I wasn't sad either. I don't know about you, but this is okay with me - not all books can be earth-shattering experience. With Oxford Whispers I could just relax without any care in the world. And, although I thought I got mystery all figured, I didn't guess who the villain is. Marion Croslydon:Me - 1:0. xD

So if you are looking for some urban fantasy novel with deep characterisation and complex magical system then this is not book for you. But if you just want to kick back your heels, relax and enjoy a light mystery and nice romance story sprinkled with paranormal elements then Oxford Whispers may be the book you are looking for.

I recommend this book to fans of: new adult contemporary romance novels who would like to try a bit of paranormal and mystery; new girl on college plot; Oxford (there are a lot of beautiful descriptions); instant-attraction but-you-are-not/too-good-for-me type of romance; rich, confident, playboy heroes tortured by their past; ... ( )
  bookwormdreams | Apr 10, 2013 |

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,420,884 books! | Top bar: Always visible