Cast of Stones, A (The Staff and the Sword)…

Cast of Stones, A (The Staff and the Sword) (edition 2013)

by Patrick W. Carr

Member:Sable677
Title:Cast of Stones, A (The Staff and the Sword)
Authors:Patrick W. Carr
Info:Bethany House Publishers (2013), Paperback, 432 pages
Rating:*****

A Cast of Stones by Patrick W. Carr

This is one of my favorite trilogies and it so happens to fall in the christian genre. They only cheesy aspect I could find was the naming of locations geographically. It could have been a little more creative. Still, he got the point across. I loved the plot and the characters. I wouldn't change a thing.

I love the creative license Patrick Carr took with biblical themes and elements. Personally, I find it is hard to find good redemption stories with decent suspense, a little romance that doesn't take center stage and minimal cheese-factor in the christian genre.

This is a gem. Truly. I've been waiting for someone to write this kind of literature for a while now. I received the first book as a kindle promo and had to buy the rest because I was hook, line, and sinker-ed with the quality of the first story. I was not disappointed with the other two.

I will be buying whatever Carr writes in the future.

BrittneyRossie | Jun 14, 2015 |
I made a huge mistake with this book. I picked it up for free a while back through Bookbub. I even marked it as to read several times. I'd start the book, get side tracked with another. Pick it back up, not be into it, to put it back down. Finally, I just said...SELF! Read the book to get it off your kindle.

First, I had no clue this was a Christian book. Yes, the religious undertones were heavy throughout the book. But still, I didn't relate it as a Christian book.

The main character Errol is so relatable in life. He wants to be a part of something. He wants to be a part of a family. He turns to alcohol to drown his sorrows. He finds his true self . He finds friends.

My opinion on this book is...I can kick myself for not reading it all the way through the first two times. It's a remarkable book. I could feel the anger, disappointment, shame, pride and sense of belonging, Errol endured.

I'm not big on series books, but this is one I'm reading the second installment. I feel I need to know what's going on in Errol's world.

Just an all around book. My sincerest apologies to the author for not giving it the attention it deserved until late. ( )
  cbilbo | Apr 8, 2014 |

cbilbo | Apr 2, 2014 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
"'A Cast of Stones' by Patrick W. Carr is both his first novel and the first book in 'The Staff & The Sword' trilogy. It is an epic fantasy set in a world where the church is second only to the king, though seemingly not by much...

...When I begun this and realized how heavily the church features in the story, I was a little unsure how I would like it; I was worried it was going to end up being some kind of very in-your-face kind of tale about an obvious sinner changing his life for the better as he gives himself over to religion or something. I am happy to report, however, that this was not at all the case. 'A Cast of Stones' is a fantasy adventure absolutely rife with action and intrigue...

...We are given an unlikely hero in Errol at the beginning: he starts off an emotionally scarred boy with a chip on his shoulder who drowns his mental faculties in ale the moment certain memories begin to surface, until he eventually becomes physically dependent on alcohol. He is a complete mess, and everyone in the village tolerates it because everyone in the village pities him. What we are left with by the end of A Cast of Stones is a quietly powerful, perceptive, and determined young man with a head full of sense on his shoulders...

...I received this book through LibraryThing's Early Reviewers program, and I wish I'd gotten to it much sooner than I did, because I ended up enjoying it pretty thoroughly..."

For full review, please visit me at Here Be Bookwyrms on Blogger:

http://herebebookwyrms.blogspot.com/2014/01/a-cast-of-stones.html ( )
  here.be.bookwyrms | Jan 30, 2014 |
Not a lot I can add to this book's discussion that hasn't already been mentioned by a bunch of other reviewers. I did enjoy the story immensely; it's one of the few Amazon freebies I've read that really tempted me to purchase the next book in the series. The author's worked up a fully developed fantasy world, with less a system of magic and more a slightly paranormal flavor, and the concept of casting lots is derived from the Old Testament although changed for the story. The characters are real without being too much so, and I wouldn't mind spending more time with them. As well, the book stands alone while also setting up a few larger questions for the remaining books in the series.

This one will stick with me for a long time. Five deserved stars. ( )
  GunnarGrey | Sep 14, 2013 |

An Epic Medieval Saga Fantasy Readers
Will Love

In the backwater village of Callowford, Errol Stone's search for a drink is interrupted by a church messenger who arrives with urgent missives for the hermit priest in the hills. Desperate for coin, Errol volunteers to deliver them but soon finds himself hunted by deadly assassins. Forced to flee with the priest and a small band of travelers, Errol soon learns he's joined a quest that could change the fate of his kingdom.

Protected for millennia by the heirs of the first king, the kingdom's dynasty is near an end and a new king must be selected. As tension and danger mount, Errol must leave behind his drunkenness and grief, learn to fight, and come to know his God in order to survive a journey to discover his destiny.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:03:20 -0400)

"Drunkard Errol Stone has to shape up fast when his hunt for the next glass unwittingly merges with a dangerous quest to save his kingdom"--

Bethany House

An edition of this book was published by Bethany House.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,051,254 books! | Top bar: Always visible