Living in Threes by Judith Tarr

Living in Threes (edition 2012)

by Judith Tarr

Member:Raevon
Title:Living in Threes
Authors:Judith Tarr
Info:Book View Cafe (2012), Kindle Edition
Rating:*****

Living in Threes by Judith Tarr (Author)

Tomorrow's Sphinx by Clare Bell (MyriadBooks)
    MyriadBooks: For bridging the far past and far future, for inhabitants of Egypt.

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Meritre, Meredith, and Meru are three teens sharing one soul. Their lives become entwined, though they live thousands of years apart. From ancient Egypt to present day, to 4,000 years in the future, these girls must somehow work together to stop a plague.

This is the kind of book I would have devoured as a young teen, and one I'm very happy to have read now. Each girl has her own crisis to face, but they never have to do it alone. Even before they find each other, we are shown how important to them are the bonds they have formed: with their mothers, their pets and their friends. In this setting, part fantasy and part science fiction, these girls felt very real to me. ( )
  sandragon | Nov 17, 2013 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Living in Threes is an aptly named title for this book. Three teenage girls named Meredith, Meru, and Meritre are connected in such a way. They're the past, present, and future all rolled into one. Each of their experiences are different from one another yet their common tie is the only hope for Meru's future. Each must face their own inner demons to triumph what comes next for all of them. Meritre needs to learn a secret. Meredith must accept the truth. Meru needs to search for the truth. Together they can be living in threes.

When I first read the concept of this I was intrigued. Yet after reading it, I find that it's been such a fascinating story. The author cleverly wove three lives together in such a way that leaves little doubt in story crafting. Out of all the characters I most relate to Meredith. She is strong willed, honest, determined, and clear minded. I will definitely read more of this author's work. ( )
  WolfFaerie17 | Apr 24, 2013 |
Plot: 3 1/2 stars
Characters: 3 stars
Style: 4 stars
Pace: 4 stars

rounding up.
I actually hadn't read any of her books before (They've been on my TBR list for a while, but I've been trying to read through my already on hand stacks), but between enjoying the blog she does on BVC, and the ringing endorsements of her by several other authors I enjoy, I bought into the kickstarter anyway.

The three girls' voices all sounded the same, but for good reason. It was the ending, I think, that made the rest fall flat. I wanted something about the magic to save Meredith's mom, since it was too late for Meru's mom and the ancient Egyptian princess. There's too much uncertainty in Meredith's life at the end, and it ended up feeling unfinished.
Otherwise, an enjoyable read. ( )
  Jami_Leigh | Mar 31, 2013 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I love the way the three stories intertwine. Very descriptive and the characters are great. For young adults, or slightly older kids who love great adventures. ( )
1 vote Vivapdx | Feb 8, 2013 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Really loved this novel, I found it to be really gripping, a real page-turner!
The story switches between three times and three lives, which each have a separate story, but are also intricately interwoven. I really liked the way in which the stories become increasingly linked and really become one story over time.
The descriptions of ancient Egypt and the distant future are lovely and very lifelike. The characters are not always worked out as well as they could have been, but the three main characters are worked out nicely and I found it easy to connect to them. ( )
1 vote Britt84 | Feb 7, 2013 |
It was a bit confusing at first, but once I got into this book it was very interesting. past, middle and future, gives you something to think about, especially the soul and reincarnation. You will ponder this book and learn to deal with faith on a whole new level. Learn love and loss and how far the soul can reach reading this book.
added by bonnie.halperin | editBonnie's review, Bonnie Halperin (Nov 29, 2012)

Tarr, JudithAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Smeds, DaveCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Trower, EmilyCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Trower, EmilyIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For the real Meredith
who has waited very long and patiently for her book to come out in the world
That was the absolute best and the absolute worst summer of my life, the summer I turned sixteen.

Three lives. Three worlds. Three times. Three young women, past, present, and future, come together to solve an age-old mystery and save a world. Meredith has the summer all planned. She'll hang out with her friends, ride her horse, and spend time with her mom, who is recovering from cancer. Then her mom drops a bomb: she's sending Meredith to Egypt to dig up mummies with her aunt the archaeologist. Meredith doesn't want to go. At all. But there are more forces at work than a sixteenth-birthday present she doesn't want and a summer she didn't plan--and a greater adventure than she could ever have imagined. Meru lives in a far-future Earth, where disease has been eliminated and humans travel through the stars in living ships. Meru and her friend Yoshi have been accepted into the school for starpilots, but just as they're about to leave, a strange message from Meru's mother drives Meru away from her home and family and sends her on a journey to find her mother and save the people of Earth from a terrible plague. Meritre is a singer in the Temple of Amon in ancient Egypt. Her people have survived a devastating plague, but Meritre is foresighted, and what she sees is terrifying. As she tries to find a magical spell that will keep her family and friends safe, the gods take one last life--and that life, and death, resonate through Meredith and Meru to the end of time.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Living in Threes by Judith Tarr was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,777,349 books! | Top bar: Always visible