The Bourbon Street Ripper by Leo King

The Bourbon Street Ripper (edition 2012)

by Leo King, Staci Reed (Illustrator)

Member:Elainedav
Title:The Bourbon Street Ripper
Authors:Leo King
Other authors:Staci Reed (Illustrator)
Info:Grey Gecko Press (2012), Paperback, 466 pages
Collections:My Bookshelf
Rating:***1/2
Tags:e book

The Bourbon Street Ripper (Sins of the Father) by Leo King

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
The Bourbon Street Ripper is a very good mystery that keeps the reader guessing what will happen next and from which direction the next body or clue will come. The basis of the novel is the twenty year old case of a serial killer that has been tried and executed, but now there is a copycat on the streets of New Orleans. One of the original detectives is thrown into the case with a new partner not up to speed on the original case.

The executed killer was a member of an old New Orleans wealthy family. His granddaughter is caught up in this new crime spree and begins to have nightmares from the past. Of course being in the area of New Orleans the Voodoo religion comes in to play.

Whodunit? That is the interesting part of this book because it will keep you guessing to the very end. I look forward to reading Leo King’s next book. ( )
  qstewart | Jul 11, 2013 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I can't remember the last time I read a book set in New Orleans, one of my favorite cities, so I was eager to read this. I enjoy thrillers and mysteries, and this fulfilled my every expectation. Unlike the Jack the Ripper tale, The Bourbon Street Ripper has the added element of voodoo which makes the story more interesting and suspenseful. Although it initially took a bit for me to get caught in the story, I found the mystery compelling. Like others have mentioned, it is a bit of a disappointment to come to the end only to find that the story is to-be-continued. I enjoyed this book and am looking forward to book #2. ( )
  jonxangela | Jul 5, 2013 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I will be frank. I didn't finish this book. There is nothing especially wrong with it, but it just wasn't as interesting or as exciting as I expected it to be. When I start thrillers or mysteries I need to get drawn in really quickly. Otherwise, I find myself sighing in boredom or trudging through the book without any real interest.

However, just because this book didn't manage to draw me in doesn't mean it's a bad book. It's quite well written, the characters are interesting, and the plot has potential. The difficulty for me was caring about any of them. Another problem for me was the dialog. Sometimes, when the characters talked, I thought the author was purposely making them sound ridiculous. Unfortunately, that was not the case. Also, there was a lot of vivid description that wasn't always necessary. Sometimes, describing everything slows down the pace of the book and that was the case in this instance.

I know that it's very difficult to write a book and since this is a first novel, I'm sure King will get better as he gains more experience. I know lots of people enjoyed this book, it's just unfortunate that I wasn't one of them. ( )
  jadestar31 | Jun 25, 2013 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I forced myself to get about four chapters deep but couldn't go any further. I dislike criticizing anyone's work because I know writing a book is HARD and takes a lot of discipline and effort. With that being said, the author provided me with a free copy of the book and asked for an honest review in return.

My three main complaints:
1) Tiresome dialog that lacked realism
2) Descriptive passages that felt more like poetry than a novel
3) Use of adjectives that just don't "fit" the context.

These "distractions" kept me from feeling any connection with this story or the characters.

Passages like this just made the story feel artificial and lifeless with dialog that is repetitive and boring.

Three officers leapt on the biker, swinging their batons at his head. Jones seemed to ignore the repeated blows, and instead rammed his fists in two of the three’s midsections. As the sound of cracking ribs resonated throughout the room, Michael heard the one uninjured officer saying, “Shit! It’s like this guy’s immune to pain!”

That comment got Michael’s mind spinning, and he said, “Rodger! Sounds like this guy is high on something like PCP! Beating him with those batons isn’t going to do anything.”
--------

This passage occurs right after one above. One of the characters (Michael) open-hand punches the biker's mouth shut causing him to bit off his own tongue...there is zero feeling or realism to it. They act like people biting off their tongues in the police station is a daily occurrence.

Joined by his partner, who whistled and patted him on the back, Michael did the only logical next step.
He straightened his tie.
“BERGERON!” came out a loud voice that reeked of authority. “LEBLANC! AUCOIN! GET YOUR ASSES IN HERE NOW!”
“Crap,” said Rodger, giving a defeated sigh. “The commander wants to see all three of us.”

----------

My review is intended to be an honest review. If it comes across harshly, that is not my intention.

With all this being said, I would still tell everyone to judge for yourself and the comments above are MY OPINION which the authored asked me to provide. ( )
  Disco_grinch | Jun 25, 2013 |
An excellent read! A little unsteady on the pacing (this is a first book after all) but good characters and a good mystery. He gets the feel of New Orleans without looking down on it. Sam Castille has been haunted by the deeds of her grandfather since she was 10. Who has started killing like him again? Who are the Nite Priory? ( )
  bgknighton | May 28, 2013 |

Grey Gecko Press

Three editions of this book were published by Grey Gecko Press.

Editions: 193882105X, 1938821076, 1938821068

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

The Bourbon Street Ripper by Leo King was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,211,888 books! | Top bar: Always visible