Dave Bing: A Life of Challenge by Drew Sharp

Dave Bing: A Life of Challenge (edition 2012)

by Drew Sharp

Rating:**
Tags:biography, NBA, mayor, Detroit, entrepreneurship, steel, politics

Dave Bing by Drew Sharp

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I had never heard of Dave Bing and when I received this book, was intrigued. His story is interesting. However, at times, I couldn'ttell if this was a biography of Bing or a story of racial tensions in Detroit. The tension in Detroit is part of Bing's story, but the author can't seem to decide what his main focus is. ( )
  chgstrom | Nov 8, 2014 |
A good book with many life lessons. Good read
  nkbk0108 | Dec 19, 2013 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I won this book on Librarything and have to review it. I found Mr. Bing to be an excellent role model for young men; his parents raised a very smart son. There are so few parents that still do raise their children. Anyway, I am not a HUGE fan of basketball but he was smart to treat his job as a job. You can't always go with the flow and hope for the best. If you want and deserve more, you have to make it happen.

He would start from the bottom and work his way up with no shame. Much respect. ( )
  lizamichelle1 | Mar 22, 2013 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Another rags to riches story. It was interesting at the beginning to read about Dave Bing's childhood. Somewhere in the middle of the book, it became boring. I have not finished reading it. Maybe, I'll make another attempt in between novels. ( )
  haidadareads | Mar 7, 2013 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This book tells the interesting story of Dave Bing, NBA basketball player, business man and mayor. It ties in what is happening at the time nationally, with what is specifically happening to Dave Bing. I found this to be one of the harder to read biographies though. Some of the sidebars which explain what else were going on were hard to connect with the story until one got back to the story. I was tempted to skim large sections thinking "what does this have to do with the story". I also have a feeling that the author did not get much if any imput from Dave Bing himself, so the reader is left wondering what Dave was actually thinking.
Overall, I would say it was an ok read. I would be interested more in what Dave actually thought about the events, and will be interested to see what happens with the rest of Dave's political career.
  ktsbentley | Mar 4, 2013 |

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Dave Bing: A Life of Challenge by Drew Sharp was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,919,440 books! | Top bar: Always visible