Forever Man by Brian W. Matthews

Title:Forever Man
Authors:Brian W. Matthews
Info:
Rating:***
Tags:early reviewers, thriller, mystery, suspense, horror, free

Forever Man by Brian W. Matthews

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Wow, I had a hard time putting the book down. It sucks you in and you want to find out what happens next. This is the first book by this author that I have read and I will read others written by him. ( )
  bfpijuan | Feb 4, 2014 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Bizarre. That's the best description I can give for this story. I wasn't expecting it to be a horror story, but that's what it was and I was sorry to have to read it in order to give a review. The story is about the classic battle between good and evil but with evil having the upper hand through most of the story, and with an evil vicious supernatural creature tearing people apart. Those on the side of good bumbled along and it was a wonder that the story ended as it did. The man labelled "Forever Man", Bartholomew Owens (Bart), had been around for a very long time and had supernatural powers to use for good. At the end was an allusion to Jesus Christ, the Nazarene... which I assumed indicated he'd personally known Jesus. Other participants included Izzy Morris, the police chief, who found herself on the side of good; Darryl Webber, the face of evil; Webber served an evil being (woman) named Marbæs who'd been around as long Bart; Kevin Sullivan, the autistic boy with strange abilities desired by the evil side, and central to the reason for the tale; and his father, Jack who succumbed to the temptations of evil, and paid the consequences.
In a final conversation between Bart and Marbæs, Bart says, “Yet here we are, the two of us—ageless walkers on an aging world.” And so, the adenture continues. ( )
  frannyji | Jan 11, 2014 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I received this book via LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

This was a very good stranger-comes-to-town story. I liked Bart (even named a foster kitten after him) and would very much like to know more of his story.

The sheriff, Izzy, was a fantastic hero cut from uncommon cloth. It is refreshing to read a story where the protagonist is older, female, and tough.

Katie was also a strong character and I would like to see how her story progresses!

The weaknesses in this book are the bad guys. Darryl, the big bad, was one dimensional, petulant, and immature. I don't see how he's lived as long as he has.

Jack Sallinen was also a problem. For someone who sneers at the "Be Nothings" or anyone who he deems as inferior or weak, his preference over his autistic son, Kevin, over his oldest son, Jimmy, fell flat. He was also one dimensional, petulant, and immature.

Otherwise, this was a great weird/horror story from JournalStone. ( )
  leesalogic | Dec 8, 2013 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Forever man is a book that is quick to take off right from the start. It is filled with action but also has a big cast of characters. The mysterious Bart Owens comes to the little town and right away strange things start to happen. Of course the Chief of Police, Izzy Morris, is right in the middle of things quickly trying to solve the murders and track down her lost daughter before it is too late. Izzy is a wonderful main character: smart, strong and has a lot of depth. She is the backbone to this book and the others all come together to make a wonderful team of players. With this many characters, I found it a bit difficult to keep them all straight at first, but very soon their personalities began to take shape on the pages and seemed to come to life for me. It is hard to put this book in one niche because there are a lot of aspects to this story. The author does a really good job of tying all of these little storylines together to form one well thought out plot and making it flow seamlessly towards a wonderful ending. Of course, there is room for a sequel, and I would love to see more of these characters and their stories. ( )
  Mary.Endersbe | Nov 17, 2013 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
A wonderful start to what I understand will be a series of books, and one which I will have me looking for subsequent stories.

This tale is hard to describe, it's chock full of mystery, lots of action and touch of horror and supernatural. The story is fast paced and keeps you turning pages. The character development is very well done, particularly the main character of Izzy Morris.

This story will keep you on the edge of your seat, wondering what unknown thing is lurking in the woods and hoping if Izzy will get to the bottom of things in time. ( )
  sheryll | Jul 13, 2013 |
For William S. Matthews, Jr., and Andy Matthews The reasons are obvious, the sentiment is real.
The Greyhound bus shrugged to a stop.

Description from Early Reviewers page:

Police Chief Elizabeth “Izzy” Morris enjoys keeping the peace in the small town of Kinsey in Michigan’s Upper Peninsula. But when her seventeen-year-old daughter goes missing after a school dance and the mutilated corpse of the girl’s date is discovered in the nearby woods, Izzy’s police skills are stretched to their limits.

Her only suspect is a stranger, a mysterious black man with no known past. When a second stranger appears, the investigation stalls. People she once trusted turn against her. The local banker’s autistic son begins to know things no one else does.

And now something unspeakable prowls the woods.

Police Chief Elizabeth "Izzy" Morris enjoys keeping the peace in the small town of Kinsey in Michigan's Upper Peninsula. But when her seventeen-year-old daughter goes missing after a school dance and the mutilated corpse of the girl's date is discovered in the nearby woods, Izzy's police skills are stretched to their limits. Her only suspect is a stranger, a mysterious black man with no known past. When a second stranger appears, the investigation stalls. People she once trusted turn against her. The local banker's autistic son begins to know things no one else does. And now something unspeakable prowls the woods. Joined by three friends and the man she once considered her enemy, Izzy races to find her daughter--and ends up trapped in the middle of a war between an ancient evil and the man who has stood in its way for nearly two thousand years.… (more)

Brian W. Matthews is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Forever Man by Brian W. Matthews was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,458,111 books! | Top bar: Always visible