Forever Man by Brian W Matthews

Authors:Brian W Matthews
Info:
Collections:Your library, eBook, Read

Forever Man by Brian W. Matthews

I am finding it hard to put into words how I feel about this book. I really liked it, yet at the same time I am unsettled. I think it is because it isn't my regular genre for reading. It isn't really full on horror, but it definitely has more gore than anything I normally read. I have just realized where the unsettling comes from. The story feels like it could have been written by Stephen King as far as the topic and basic outline for, but it isn't his style of writing. I like this style much better. I know this because although I have tried many times, I have never finished a Stephen King novel.

I really liked the "world" that the author has created though and I would read more should this become a series. Even just a series of loosely tied novels or stories rather than following the specific characters in the story.

Many thanks to Christopher at JournalStone for the ARC copy! ( )
  DuchessofHazard | Nov 29, 2015 |
Interesting start, Could use more details about others in the group. Are the original 12 still alive? What are their powers? Really drags at the end. ( )
  bgknighton | May 19, 2015 |
When I first started reading Forever Man, I thought this was going to be your basic monster story as a creature of unknown origin attacks a high school couple late at night. Not that there is anything wrong with that, since I certainly enjoy a good monster story. However, as I continued to read, I realized that this had a much more complex storyline than I originally figured. It first started with the appearance in town of Bart Owens, ostensibly an unassuming musician who has come to town to play some gigs at a local bar. Bart turns out to be anything but that. He is an ancient being with mystical powers that get slowly revealed. Then there was a second mysterious character, Darryl Webber, who clearly has malevolent intentions as well his own set of mystical skills. The final piece of the puzzle is a young boy with a rare form of autism that seems to be at the center of what is happening. As I mentioned, this is a novel with a complex storyline that is rich in mythology and world building. The writing is, in one word, professional. As a fellow writer, I appreciate the craftsmanship and attention to detail that Matthews exhibits. It's remarkable than this is his debut novel since it comes off as the work of a veteran writer who has honed his skills over the years. The pacing, the flow, and the tension are just right. The story starts off with a bang. It delves into the significance of what is occurring. There is escalated tension in the middle, a big buildup, and then an epic confrontation--a textbook recipe for a successful story. If I could add one piece of criticism is that the backstory is glimpsed and by the end of the novel, the reader is still in the dark about most of it. However, Forever Man is just the first book in a series, and I can only assume that more will be revealed in future books in the series, which I very much look forward to reading. Get a copy of Forever Man and you will most definitely agree with me. Carl Alves - author of Two For Eternity ( )
  Carl_Alves | Feb 24, 2015 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I received this book as an early reviewers copy from LibraryThing. I really enjoyed the story and passed it along to my husband to read… a sign of how much I liked it. There was a high level of suspense through the book that made it hard to put down.
Looking forward to a second book with these characters, I hope this is the first in a series. ( )
  mybookcloset | Jan 10, 2015 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Wow, I had a hard time putting the book down. It sucks you in and you want to find out what happens next. This is the first book by this author that I have read and I will read others written by him. ( )
  bfpijuan | Feb 4, 2014 |
For William S. Matthews, Jr., and Andy Matthews The reasons are obvious, the sentiment is real.
The Greyhound bus shrugged to a stop.

Description from Early Reviewers page:

Police Chief Elizabeth “Izzy” Morris enjoys keeping the peace in the small town of Kinsey in Michigan’s Upper Peninsula. But when her seventeen-year-old daughter goes missing after a school dance and the mutilated corpse of the girl’s date is discovered in the nearby woods, Izzy’s police skills are stretched to their limits.

Her only suspect is a stranger, a mysterious black man with no known past. When a second stranger appears, the investigation stalls. People she once trusted turn against her. The local banker’s autistic son begins to know things no one else does.

And now something unspeakable prowls the woods.

Police Chief Elizabeth "Izzy" Morris enjoys keeping the peace in the small town of Kinsey in Michigan's Upper Peninsula. But when her seventeen-year-old daughter goes missing after a school dance and the mutilated corpse of the girl's date is discovered in the nearby woods, Izzy's police skills are stretched to their limits. Her only suspect is a stranger, a mysterious black man with no known past. When a second stranger appears, the investigation stalls. People she once trusted turn against her. The local banker's autistic son begins to know things no one else does. And now something unspeakable prowls the woods. Joined by three friends and the man she once considered her enemy, Izzy races to find her daughter--and ends up trapped in the middle of a war between an ancient evil and the man who has stood in its way for nearly two thousand years.… (more)

Brian W. Matthews is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Forever Man by Brian W. Matthews was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 106,714,395 books! | Top bar: Always visible