Forever Man by Brian W. Matthews

Forever Man (edition 2013)

by Brian W. Matthews

Member:Linellsb1
Title:Forever Man
Authors:Brian W. Matthews
Info:JournalStone (2013), Paperback, 300 pages
Tags:ER book

Forever Man by Brian W. Matthews

Interesting start, Could use more details about others in the group. Are the original 12 still alive? What are their powers? Really drags at the end. ( )
  bgknighton | May 19, 2015 |
When I first started reading Forever Man, I thought this was going to be your basic monster story as a creature of unknown origin attacks a high school couple late at night. Not that there is anything wrong with that, since I certainly enjoy a good monster story. However, as I continued to read, I realized that this had a much more complex storyline than I originally figured. It first started with the appearance in town of Bart Owens, ostensibly an unassuming musician who has come to town to play some gigs at a local bar. Bart turns out to be anything but that. He is an ancient being with mystical powers that get slowly revealed. Then there was a second mysterious character, Darryl Webber, who clearly has malevolent intentions as well his own set of mystical skills. The final piece of the puzzle is a young boy with a rare form of autism that seems to be at the center of what is happening. As I mentioned, this is a novel with a complex storyline that is rich in mythology and world building. The writing is, in one word, professional. As a fellow writer, I appreciate the craftsmanship and attention to detail that Matthews exhibits. It's remarkable than this is his debut novel since it comes off as the work of a veteran writer who has honed his skills over the years. The pacing, the flow, and the tension are just right. The story starts off with a bang. It delves into the significance of what is occurring. There is escalated tension in the middle, a big buildup, and then an epic confrontation--a textbook recipe for a successful story. If I could add one piece of criticism is that the backstory is glimpsed and by the end of the novel, the reader is still in the dark about most of it. However, Forever Man is just the first book in a series, and I can only assume that more will be revealed in future books in the series, which I very much look forward to reading. Get a copy of Forever Man and you will most definitely agree with me. Carl Alves - author of Two For Eternity ( )
  Carl_Alves | Feb 24, 2015 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I received this book as an early reviewers copy from LibraryThing. I really enjoyed the story and passed it along to my husband to read… a sign of how much I liked it. There was a high level of suspense through the book that made it hard to put down.
Looking forward to a second book with these characters, I hope this is the first in a series. ( )
  mybookcloset | Jan 10, 2015 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Wow, I had a hard time putting the book down. It sucks you in and you want to find out what happens next. This is the first book by this author that I have read and I will read others written by him. ( )
  bfpijuan | Feb 4, 2014 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Bizarre. That's the best description I can give for this story. I wasn't expecting it to be a horror story, but that's what it was and I was sorry to have to read it in order to give a review. The story is about the classic battle between good and evil but with evil having the upper hand through most of the story, and with an evil vicious supernatural creature tearing people apart. Those on the side of good bumbled along and it was a wonder that the story ended as it did. The man labelled "Forever Man", Bartholomew Owens (Bart), had been around for a very long time and had supernatural powers to use for good. At the end was an allusion to Jesus Christ, the Nazarene... which I assumed indicated he'd personally known Jesus. Other participants included Izzy Morris, the police chief, who found herself on the side of good; Darryl Webber, the face of evil; Webber served an evil being (woman) named Marbæs who'd been around as long Bart; Kevin Sullivan, the autistic boy with strange abilities desired by the evil side, and central to the reason for the tale; and his father, Jack who succumbed to the temptations of evil, and paid the consequences.
In a final conversation between Bart and Marbæs, Bart says, “Yet here we are, the two of us—ageless walkers on an aging world.” And so, the adenture continues. ( )
  frannyji | Jan 11, 2014 |
For William S. Matthews, Jr., and Andy Matthews The reasons are obvious, the sentiment is real.
The Greyhound bus shrugged to a stop.

Description from Early Reviewers page:

Police Chief Elizabeth “Izzy” Morris enjoys keeping the peace in the small town of Kinsey in Michigan’s Upper Peninsula. But when her seventeen-year-old daughter goes missing after a school dance and the mutilated corpse of the girl’s date is discovered in the nearby woods, Izzy’s police skills are stretched to their limits.

Her only suspect is a stranger, a mysterious black man with no known past. When a second stranger appears, the investigation stalls. People she once trusted turn against her. The local banker’s autistic son begins to know things no one else does.

And now something unspeakable prowls the woods.

Police Chief Elizabeth "Izzy" Morris enjoys keeping the peace in the small town of Kinsey in Michigan's Upper Peninsula. But when her seventeen-year-old daughter goes missing after a school dance and the mutilated corpse of the girl's date is discovered in the nearby woods, Izzy's police skills are stretched to their limits. Her only suspect is a stranger, a mysterious black man with no known past. When a second stranger appears, the investigation stalls. People she once trusted turn against her. The local banker's autistic son begins to know things no one else does. And now something unspeakable prowls the woods. Joined by three friends and the man she once considered her enemy, Izzy races to find her daughter--and ends up trapped in the middle of a war between an ancient evil and the man who has stood in its way for nearly two thousand years.… (more)

Brian W. Matthews is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Forever Man by Brian W. Matthews was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,208,235 books! | Top bar: Always visible