Farewell, Dorothy Parker by Ellen Meister

Farewell, Dorothy Parker (original 2013; edition 2013)

by Ellen Meister

Member:Beamis12
Title:Farewell, Dorothy Parker
Authors:Ellen Meister
Info:Putnam Adult (2013), Hardcover, 320 pages
Rating:***1/2

Farewell, Dorothy Parker by Ellen Meister (2013)

The original storyline was promising and enjoyed the first half of the book but then it fell flat for me. The ghost of Dorothy Parker resides n a hotel and befriends a movie critic who needs to find service in her personal life. ( )
  micahmom2002 | Jan 25, 2016 |
  micahmom2002 | Jan 25, 2016 |
Violet Epps is a movie critic who is sharp-tongued in writing, but timid in real life. She's struggling to break up with her boyfriend who keeps steamrolling her, talking over her, and trying to convince her that she's really in love with him. On top of that toxic relationship, Violet is battling for custody of her recently-orphaned niece, Delaney. The girl's grandparents also want to raise her, and they hired a ferocious lawyer to fight dirty. Enter Dorothy Parker, Violet's idol, the one who inspires her to be so snarky in her movie reviews. While having lunch at the Algonquin Hotel, Violet sees the famous guestbook that the authors of the Algonquin Round Table all signed. The hotel's original owner collected signatures because he wanted to capture the spirits of the authors when they passed on, but Mrs. Parker was the only one who was caught. When Violet realizes the book has come home with her, she learns more about the magic it possesses. Mrs. Parker comes to life around Violet, helping her stand her ground, and occasionally taking control over Violet's body.

I read this whole book in one day and am ready to read it again. I have totally loved both of Ellen Meister's books, and look forward to reading much more from her.

In-depth review at Allison Writes ( )
  howifeelaboutbooks | Nov 4, 2015 |
Entertaining, witty, funny and insightful. A true delight! ( )
  Swissmama | Apr 8, 2015 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I had a hard time getting into this book. I picked it up once, put it down, picked it up a couple of months later, and so on--never a good sign. And I had high hopes for this book, because I LOVE Dorothy Parker's wittiness. but I felt like this book tried a bit to hard, and as a result, fell flat for me. Also, I found it completely unbelievable that Dorothy Parker, such a strong woman herself, would ever have wasted time with a woman like Violet.
  Kasthu | Jan 7, 2015 |
The first thing I do in the morning is brush my teeth and sharpen my tongue.
--Dorothy Parker
This book is dedicated to Betty Mogavero in loving memory
Violet Epps stood before the maitre d' in the lobby lounge of the Algonquin Hotel, waiting to be noticed.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 039915907X, Hardcover)

What if inspiration came to visit...and wouldn't leave?

When it comes to movie reviews, critic Violet Epps is a powerhouse voice. But that's only because she's learned to channel her literary hero, Dorothy Parker, the most celebrated and scathing wit of the 20th century.

If only Violet could summon that kind of courage in her personal life.

Determined to defeat her social anxiety, Violet visits the Algonquin Hotel to pull strength from the hallowed dining room, where Dorothy Parker and so many other famous writers of the 1920s traded barbs. But she gets more than she bargained for when Dorothy Parker's feisty spirit rematerializes from an ancient guestbook and hitches a ride onto her life.

Violet is shocked and thrilled to be face-to-face with her idol, but when the gin-swilling writer takes up residence in her home and grows pricklier and more outspoken by the day, the timid movie critic is pushed to her limit. With her job threatened, her new relationship in tatters, and the custody fight for her orphaned niece in jeopardy, Violet is forced to face her fears ...and she makes sure Mrs. Parker does the same.

Wickedly funny and surprisingly poignant, Farewell, Dorothy Parker perfectly re-imagines one of America's most iconic voices in a captivating and unforgettable tale.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:07:31 -0400)

"Determined to defeat her social anxiety, [powerhouse movie critic] Violet visits the Algonquin Hotel to pull strength from the hallowed dining room, where Dorothy Parker and so many other famous writers of the 1920s traded barbs. But she gets more than she bargained for when Dorothy Parker's feisty spirit rematerializes from an ancient guestbook and hitches a ride onto her life"--Dust jacket flap.… (more)

24 wanted1 pay5 pay

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Farewell, Dorothy Parker by Ellen Meister was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 108,407,665 books! | Top bar: Always visible