Checkers and Dot by J. Torres

Checkers and Dot (edition 2012)

by J. Torres, J. Lum (Illustrator)

1813561,019 (4)1
Member:marzipanz
Title:Checkers and Dot
Authors:J. Torres
Other authors:J. Lum (Illustrator)
Info:Tundra Books (2012), Edition: Brdbk, Board book, 16 pages
Tags:own, read, bilderbuch, early reviewer, black & white

Checkers and Dot by J. Torres

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Wile my own children are too old for this book at five and eight, I gave it to my boss's 16 month old granddaughter, who absolutely loves it. The black and white contact really holds her attention and the durability is really good as well.
  Peripa | Jul 15, 2013 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
The simple black and white images and patterns in this book are definitely the winner--it was a great hit visually with both the three year old and the 6 week old! However, the written portion of this book leaves a lot to be desired; it hovers somewhere between rhyme and not-rhyme and is, to put it succinctly, pretty boring. There are lots of board books out there that manage to magically combine a few simple words and phrases into something beautiful, silly, memorable...but this book does not do that for me. Fun to look at, though! ( )
  willowsmom | Jan 3, 2013 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I'm really not that impressed with checkers and dot, maybe because it's a book for babies; I'm not a huge fan of those either. By those standards (books that are good for babies), it does all of the right things. The black and white images (where is the color?) create the high contrast that infants need in order to grasp shapes and it is a cute way to introduce shapes and patterns. There is not really a plot, just an introduction of characters, their shapes/patterns. A cute book for breaking your infant into reading. Again, for the littlest of readers, it is a solid addition to a collection. ( )
  Sassy_Seshat | Dec 25, 2012 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
The digitally rendered black & white illustrations in this board book are bold and high-contrast, and therefore perfect for the developing eyes of babies and toddlers. I enjoyed this book with my 5-month-old granddaughter, and although I remain somewhat skeptical about its value in teaching the concepts of stripes, checkers, dots and spots, the illustrations certainly captured her attention. There is some text, but it adds little to the overall impact of the book. The book is strong and well-bound, and appears that it would withstand the chewing and throwing that comes with preschool territory. Checkers and Dots is the first in a series of black and white board books featuring the same slate of characters, and would make a good addition to a baby's first collection. ( )
1 vote tahayes | Dec 20, 2012 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Checkers and Dot is a tablet sized board book in basic black and white about a boy, a girl, a cat and a dog. Each characters' name corresponds to a pattern on the page: Checkers, Dot, Stripesy and Spot. I would have preferred the name Stripes. I found the thin bull's eye spiral distracting although it might represent sound or distance - "Time to go!" Checker calls to Spot. It might be particularly distracting to Stripesy who want to take a nap on the opposing page. This book provides opportunities for readers to make up their own stories or count the shapes.
  patoney | Dec 16, 2012 |

This sweet and striking book has been designed especially for babies and tots. Welcome to the wonderfully patterned world of Checkers and Dot!

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Checkers and Dots by J. Torres was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,219,783 books! | Top bar: Always visible