The Stone Lion by William Eisner

The Stone Lion (edition 2013)

by William Eisner

Member:mlnelson01
Title:The Stone Lion
Authors:William Eisner
Info:Permanent Press (2013), Bound Galley, 341 pages
Rating:***

The Stone Lion by William Eisner

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
William Eisner’s The Stone Lion introduces big business, research, sales, and marketing. Though the story has a dark and melancholy tone to it, the author uses interesting characters and creates relationships between personal and company characters. ( )
  BedOfRoses | Jul 4, 2013 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
It was a struggle to finish this book about George Breal who loses his job and is hired at a technology firm owned by John Lowell. The firm is family owned and run by Lowell who is a man resistant of change. I was most interested in Lowell's family: his daughter Catherine, her son, and her lover Ishmael, an African American poet. The long involved business accounts were dull and to me. Eisner knows a lot about business operations but this is definitely not my thing. The novel does with an increased sense of humanity in the character of Lowell who does lighten up and accept change as well as reconciling with his daughter and grandson. ( )
  dlong810 | Jun 15, 2013 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I enjoyed this book though it started out rather slow. I especially like the characters in it, which are realistic and true to life. The title intrigued me, and I'm glad that I read it. Check it out. ( )
  angelswing | Jun 6, 2013 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This book was not I expected when I requested it. It took a little while to get into it but once I did it was an enjoyable book. Being a small business owner myself going through many of the trials of Mr. Lowell but at a much younger age I could relate with his challenges and the pressure of owning a legacy not just working for a company. ( )
  cwflatt | Mar 2, 2013 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Many corporations in America faced challenges in the latter part of the twentieth century,from foreign competitors, they hadn’t had to worry about in the past. This caused financial stress that wasn’t always dealt with competently. Layoffs, Union strife, wages, cost of materials and manufacturing, shipping jobs overseas, selling off pieces of the company were all strategies tried by many companies to stay profitable. Some succeeded while others became a shell of themselves, went bankrupt or were bought by corporate raiders.
George Breal is downsized after 22 years with United Electric. After months of struggling he warily accepts a job in Massachusetts at Electronic Technologies (ETI), which may also be a sinking ship. The owner, CEO and micromanager John Lowell hires Breal to help turnaround the flailing company but seems unwilling to give up control or agree with decisions that may positively change their future.
Told from the point of view of four characters, George Breal, John Lowell, Edna (Lowell’s housekeeper) and Catherine Lowell (John’s estranged daughter), the story weaves its’ way through the history of ETI, family and personal issues. Eisner brings the characters to life and, love them or despise them, readers will be riveted. The Stone Lion is a fictional story, but one that most people will readily agree has aspects that ring true for corporate America over the last twenty-five years. ( )
  Mmccullough | Feb 14, 2013 |

After twenty-two years with the same company, George Breal is out of work for the first time in his life. He must confront the unpleasant task of reinventing his career at an age when many are winding down their ambitions and looking forward to retirement. A skilled manager, he finally finds work at the slowly failing Electronic Technologies (ETI) which has come face to face with a modern German competitor. ETI is owned by a cantankerous, obsessive, and dictatorial entrpreneur John Lowell who is starting to realize, as he closes out his seventies, that his shortcomings are a direct result of his misguided actions from the past. Breal, Catherine, and Edna Graham are three people who had never met but have one thing in common: they are key components in Lowell's life. Edna is his lover, Catherine his estranged daughter, and George is the man who is trying to save his company.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

The Stone Lion by William Eisner was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,120,084 books! | Top bar: Always visible