Me, Him, Them, and It by Caela Carter

Me, Him, Them, and It (edition 2013)

by Caela Carter

Member:ahandfulofconfetti
Title:Me, Him, Them, and It
Authors:Caela Carter
Info:Bloomsbury USA Childrens (2013), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 320 pages
Tags:debut author challenge '13, netgalley arc, 2013

Me, Him, Them, and It by Caela Carter

Evelyn is your typical good student and conflicted teen, who is falling for the guy she is just having casual sex with and doing everything under the sun to tick off her parents, whose father is cheating on her mother and whose mother is definitely not mother material. When she decides to tell Todd her feelings are more than friendly, she gets more than a life altering shock when she finds out she is pregnant. Even worse, Todd wants...
Read the entire review at http://www.musingwithcrayolakym.com/3/post/2013/09/me-him-them-and-it.html ( )
  crayolakym | Sep 2, 2013 |
  Punkfarie | Mar 30, 2013 |
  Punkfarie | Mar 29, 2013 |
I've read many books regarding teen pregnancy, but this one was unique in many ways. Evelyn's family life is falling apart after her father cheats on her mother, and her mother is as absent as ever. Evelyn decides to give up the good catholic girl persona to become a "bad girl" and although the reality is that she's now named the school slut, she has only been with one person, worse though she got knocked up and the baby's daddy isn't even her boyfriend.

Evelyn goes through up and downs of deciding what to do with an unplanned and unwanted pregnancy. She goes off to her favorites aunt's house because she dosen't want anyone to know about her pregnancy, even her best friend, but keeping secrets, especially secrets this big from the people she loves leads to disasterous consequences.

Me, Him, Them, and It was a good book regarding teenage pregnancy, I just didn't love it like everyone else did. Evelyn aggravted me at times with her thoughts about the baby, and maybe it's just because i'm at the point in my life where kids are a reality and knowing the struggles some people have to get pregnant makes situations like this extremely fustrating to me. Overall, I did think it was a decent story, but just didn't have the same feelings of elation towards it that everyone else did. ( )
  LauraMoore | Mar 26, 2013 |
While the synopsis and promos for Caela Carter's debut do reference the more commonly known teenage mother bits of popular culture (Teen Mom, Juno, and Secret Life of the American Teenager), it was something else that drew me to this. George Ella Lyon's release, Holding on to Zoe from July also featured a teenage mother. Jules, from Lyon's novel, and Evelyn definitely react to their pregnancies differently but both are from less than ideal family situations. I was interested in seeing what Evelyn's tension with her family brought to this story.

There's a depth to the story thanks to Evelyn's relationship with her parents, with Todd, with her best friend Lizzie and with her aunt and her family. Through the way the story is told, in a mostly chronological fashion, but sometimes diverging to bring in key stories or facts, we find out how everyone got to be how they all are with each other.

Readers see not only how Evelyn got pregnant, but also some why, as well.

Me, Him, Them & It is obviously a story about a teenage girl who gets pregnant but it's also very much about the relationships in her life. How they're maybe played a part in her getting pregnant and then how they're effected by her pregnancy.

I really love that the story is able to focus on Evelyn, her being pregnant, yet the characters and their interactions is also fantastic. With Me, Him, Them & It it's not a one or the other type of story. One side doesn't suffer for the sake of the other, both things can be equally amazing and equally at the forefront.

It makes for one very enjoyable story.

Evelyn doesn't get all mushy on her potential baby, she's not completely scientific, she isn't removed. There's an interesting balance that while, almost, odd at times, felt real. Evelyn is a confused sixteen-year-old girl and the text of novel reflected that.

Both the characters and the story are great and kept me reading page after page.

(egalley received from publisher for review) ( )
  BookSpot | Mar 26, 2013 |

Playing the "bad girl" at school to get back at her feuding parents, sixteen-year-old Evelyn becomes pregnant and faces a difficult decision.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,782,413 books! | Top bar: Always visible