Renegade (The Protectors Series) by Nancy…

Renegade (The Protectors Series) (edition 2012)

by Nancy Northcott

153647,891 (3)None
Member:Deserie.Comfort
Title:Renegade (The Protectors Series)
Authors:Nancy Northcott
Info:Forever Yours (2012), Paperback, 384 pages

Renegade (The Protectors Series) by Nancy Northcott

Review courtesy of Dark Faerie Tales.

Quick & Dirty: Outlaw and sheriff must decide whether to trust each other or not.

Opening Sentence: Not. Dead. Yet.

The Review:

The synopsis of this story had me intrigued and moved this book up my rather large review book pile from the bottom of the stack. Plus the cover of this book is just “Yummy”, right? Add the fact that this is the first book in a series and I started to read.

Readers are thrown into a live or die situation from the start of the book. Valeria Banning, our heroine, has been thrown into a car’s trunk after saving a Mundane woman and child from ghouls that were trying to kidnap them. We quickly find out that not only is Valeria a mage but she is duty sworn to protect the innocents aka Mundanes. She proceeds to use her wits to remove an amulet that was preventing her from using magic in the trunk and renders her weak from the amulet’s power but then must fight at a reduced capacity outnumbered.

During the ensuing battle between Valeria and the five ghouls, Valeria sends out a last wave of power on the point of her being overwhelmed. This “magical yell” is heard by Griffin Dare, our hero and renegade from the law. He charges into save the day and discovers Valeria needs help fast and only discovers afterwards that she is under orders to kill him because he is an outlaw.

The story travels along with Valeria and Dare as they try to decide how much to trust the other with their past. In Dare’s case, this includes letting Valeria into what truly happened the day he was labeled a traitor and outlawed and his desire to see justice for friends and lover killed because of a traitor. However, Valeria takes the first opportunity she can get to return home in the hopes of sorting out the truth from the fiction and her growing interest in a man that she may have to kill.

Maybe it is just me but this story was just OK. The character development was there even with the amount of characters that we eventually meet during the course of this book but no one character stands out. The story has ups and downs and twists and turns but nothing to write home about and makes writing this review tough. Environmentally this book was a bit challenged because it didn’t resonate that the Mundane didn’t get that they were living among magical people. And this is coming from someone who fell whole heartedly into the environment of books like Wake Unto Me. There just seemed to be something lacking in the execution of this world and I can’t put my finger on it.

At this point some of you might be wondering whether this is worth a purchase and read. I would say yes. This book shows promise and I want to give the author another opportunity in the Protectors’ World to wow me. Thankfully the next two books in this series will be out this year and I can then revisit this world.

Notable Scene:

Gently, keeping his fingers light on her shoulder, he used his other hand to tug hers from her eyes. That full, lush mouth and determined chin looked familiar, but he could worry about that later. He brushed tangled strands of hair aside to touch the welling around one eye gently, and she winced.

“Easy.” He probed lightly with his power.

Judging by the way she squinted, she was trying to focus, to see him. He couldn’t let her. At least the swelling and reactive tears would blur his features. “No scratches, but close your eys to the air doesn’t aggravate the burn.”

“Need healers,” she choked. “Experts.” Biting her lip, she blinked at him as though trying to clear her eyes. The suddenly widened. “You look–you’re–No!”

FTC Advisory: Forever Yours/Grand Central Publishing/Hachette Book Group provided me with a copy of Renegade. No goody bags, sponsorships, “material connections,” or bribes were exchanged for my review. ( )
  DarkFaerieTales | Apr 29, 2013 |
ABOUT THE BOOK:
SHE FOLLOWS THE RULES

As the Collegium council's top sheriff of the southeastern United States, Valeria Banning doesn't just take her job seriously, she takes it personally. So when a notorious traitor wanted by the authorities suddenly risks his life to save hers, she has to wonder why.

HE BREAKS EVERY ONE OF THEM

As a mage, Griffin is sworn to protect innocents from dark magic, which is how he finds himself fighting side by side with the beautiful Valeria Banning. But when the council finds out the two have been working together, they're both left running for their lives-from the law, the threat of a ghoul takeover, and a possible Collegium mole.

REVIEW: This piece has originality written all over it. I was truly surprised at how different, yet how likeable it is. I haven’t read any of Nancy’s stories before but this is definitely a book that has put her in my sights and on my stalking list.

The story is something no other author has come up with, or at least no one that I have seen. And I read.

A lot.

It has a paranormal aspect to it, but it isn’t something that overshadows the story. The romance is just enough and the steam that kicks up in this piece isn’t over the top. I liked the way Nancy brought these two together and found myself gripping the book for the next conflict. There were quite a few twists and turns in the plot and they are ones that I’m sure the reader will enjoy.

I have this four and a half stars out of five for a job well done. ( )
  Deserie.Comfort | Nov 24, 2012 |
This well-written book has all you’d want to keep you reading: great plot, hot men, sexy women and a total misunderstanding which may result in the death of one of the men. A world of mages and ghouls awaits you in Renegade.
Valeria Banning was nearly a match for her predecessor. Griffin Dare was a convicted murderer and ex-Sheriff of the Collegium. He knew self-defense, magic, how to make love (oh, yes he does!!) and how to do nearly anything except get his death sentence revoked. He has supporters, among them the Chief Medical Doctor of the group, now hopefully, the current Sheriff.
Someone on the High Council is working with the ghouls against the mages. It has to be true because the ghouls always know when to run and many mages are being killed in the battles. Who?
It will take both the exiled and current Sheriffs to figure it out and possibly then Griff can fight for his freedom again. ( )
  macygma | Nov 10, 2012 |
Reviewed by Aubrey
Book provided by NetGalley for review
Review originally posted at Romancing the Book

I really liked this book. It was a lot different than the typical paranormal romance out right now. The writing was witty and fast paced. The banter back and forth between the main characters was interesting and kept me wanting more. I enjoyed the fact that the main characters of Griffin and Val hated each other but had a strong attraction. I really rooted for them from the beginning.

The world build by Nancy Northcott is believable and new. I really loved reading a paranormal romance that was not centered around vampires or werewolves. Val is supposed to find Griffin and bring him in alive or dead for crimes he has committed. Val is a Shire Reeve and needs to protect the humans from ghouls. She is a mage that has fought against ghouls for years. Griffin has been on the run for the suspected killing of mages (mages are non-humans that have a lot of power and magic).

Throughout the novel you see a progression of a romance happening between Val and Griffin. They both have to find themselves in a way. They both have to let go of resentments towards the other. Their romance is both sweet, hot and intense at the same time. I cannot wait to read more from this other and the next novel in the series.
added by RtB | editRomaincing the Book, Aubrey (Feb 7, 2013)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,785,031 books! | Top bar: Always visible