Castles on the Sand by E. M. Tippetts

Castles on the Sand (edition 2012)

by E. M. Tippetts

2620415,071 (4.35)None
Member:Sam_Ryan
Title:Castles on the Sand
Authors:E. M. Tippetts
Info:CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform (2012), Paperback, 268 pages
Rating:*****

Castles on the Sand by E. M. Tippetts

I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

I read this book in order to get the background for the sequel Love in Darkness. I normally do not like to read YA romance because of the usual immaturity of the characters. I was VERY impressed with the author's main character Madison. The obstacles in her life are not run-of-a-mill. Her determination and intellectual maturity won me over.

Her blossoming love affair with Alex the town's bad boy centers the plot and eventually evolves into the sequel Love in Darkness.

I recommend this book with caution that the sequel may be too much for young readers under 15 years of age. No sex, just life's obstacles and situations that are tough to handle for the young. ( )
  Gloria.Herrera | Mar 26, 2014 |
The 1st part of this book was a little slow. The novel is the first of E.M. Tippetts' new series,
'Shattered Castles', therefore she was setting up a foundation that at times was distracting
to the reader.
Madison lives in a small town and is a part of a dysfunctional home-life. Her best fried, Kaillie
is opposite in most ways. She is more "messed up" than anyone and is from a worse
dysfunctional family. While Madison is kind, sweet, positive and caring, but very poor, Kaillie is
wild, thoughtless, selfish, but rich.
Madison has very little self confidence and has low self esteem but is stubborn and determined.
Friendships are put through many tests and romance begins to blossom...but with whom?
Her brother, John, comes into the scene in the second half of the book. He is a brother she didn't
know she had. He is what she needs in life and yet what she doesn't need,also.
This is a great YA story which portrays small town life and attitudes, teenage pressures, how
religion sometimes sets some youth apart from others. It also is a story of selfishness, unconditional
love, respect, belittling, uplifting and many other emotions.
You will laugh at times, cry at other times. The feelings of frustration and anger as well as pain and compassion
will evolve.
What a fun,crazy and painful time of life our teenage years are!
I have considered the title and have not come to a solid conclusion if I feel it fits. It alludes to a couple of
circumstances but feel it needed a slightly different tone to it. The novel is truly great without regard to the title. ( )
  LAWonder10 | Jun 22, 2013 |
Castles on the Sand by EM Tippets
Pelican Bluffs, the rich section of town, off the PCH in CA.
This book is about Madison and her friends and enemies. There are a handful that the book concentrates on so it's not so confusing.
She hangs out with Madison whose parents are super rich and own a lot of businesses in town, the Inn, the gallery where her mother exhibits her clay and art for sale.
She was told her father doesn't matter as he's not part of their life but then she meets her brother-a boy that is clearly a Mormon.
Funny to me is all her friends climb in at night to meet with her, through her window.
She saves her friend Kallie's butt many times but when Madison complains about her ex boyfriend Ben Kallie retaliates by hacking into her fb account and posting bad things.
The boy running after her the other day is at her front door saying he's her brother. He's got all the facts about her and her mom Sharon correct. She was told her father was out of the picture..
She finds out also her mom was a Mormon and from her brother John she learns of the other family members. She researches the Mormons to find out all she can about her real background.
She has low self esteem about her life, looks and others want to really be her friend. Some guys just want sex with her and she can't tell the difference yet..
She's not sure who really she can trust-she used to trust Kallie but that's backfired a few times and blew up in her face.
Sometimes she considers Kallie her friend, other times not and we learn what transpires later and it's all on Madison's shoulders to do something...
Love how she uses religion to turn things around..can't wait to read the next one in this series.
I received this book from the author after winning a contest at Brittany's blog: http://www.brittanyandbiancablabbooks.blogspot.com/?zx=617e46ecf62fe5b ( )
  jbarr5 | Jun 7, 2013 |
[A paperback copy was provided by the author for review purpose. Thanks Emily!]

While the blurb was certainly intriguing, I didn't know what to expect at first. Maybe it would be some family thing, maybe it would be sweet contemporary romance, maybe it would be something else entirely. But when I finally picked it up and read it, it was totally captivating.

Madison Lukas life had been perfectly constant. She had always thought that her mother was okay, that her friend was alright, and that another day would begin like it always did. .Until now. Until John Britton, who turned out to be her brother when she thought she was the only child, showed up. Slowly but surely, some secrets that had been buried deep down for years finally resurfaced. And with that, comes some hard decision that would turn Madison's life forever.

At the first ten pages, I was not quite sure what this book was about. But as the story goes, I realized how strong Madison's voice was, and I totally love how she narrated the whole story with such a distinctive way. I also like how the problem seemed to pile up and up, but somehow they all connected in the end.

Madison Lukas, as out main character, was well developed and quite likable, being strong and able to stand up, but not annoying and hard-headed. She was also smart, and I love how she understood her best friend really well.
Alex Katsumoto, Madison's counterpart, was pictured as a freak and psycho. Yet underneath his strange upbringing lies the heart of golden. The part where he opened up to Madison and showed her his vulnerability was well-written and totally believable.
Some characters I found quite interesting as well was Kailie-Madison's best friend-and Madison's mother. Kailie was very distinct with her sometimes bitchy attitude but fragile heart. I could totally sympathize with her yet still feel annoyed when she created such a drama.
Madison's mother, even if I couldn't symphatize with her the way I could with Kailie, was interesting thanks to her unstable emotion and her apathy.

Some thing I found quite undeveloped on this book was its side character. I couldn't picture them really well-except for some cases-and some names was being thrown too early in the beginning I could not caught who is who. Another thing was character's physical description. While the personality of the character was great and well developed, it was quite hard to picture some character visually.

Overall, if you love Contemporary book, and would love to read something that dealt with family issues, trust, friendship, love, and all those drama you've had as teenager, you should totally try this one. ( )
  NeysaKristanti | May 5, 2013 |
I had such a hard time with this book, only because it was so good I wanted to read it as fast as I could, but at the same time I didn’t want it to end! Lol! It just kept getting better and better as it went along. It was like an onion, and layer after layer was revealed, and at the end you are in tears! J/K…well, not really. The ending is definitely emotional and the author’s notes afterwards pulled at the heartstrings. I think these characters Ms. Tippetts created are so unique and dynamic, each with their own very interesting story to tell, I’d really like to read more from them in the future (hint hint). Recommend for ages 12 and up. It is pretty tame as far as content goes…there is a scene at the end that is disturbing but it is handled with grace. ( )
  NikkiH7117 | Dec 14, 2012 |

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,495,088 books! | Top bar: Always visible