In Search of the Miraculous: The Definitive…

In Search of the Miraculous: The Definitive Exploration of G. I.… (original 1949; edition 2001)

by P. D. Ouspensky, Marianne Williamson, P. D. Uspenskii

Member:Spinoza38
Title:In Search of the Miraculous: The Definitive Exploration of G. I. Gurdjieff's Mystical Thought and Universal View (Harvest Book)
Authors:P. D. Ouspensky
Other authors:Marianne Williamson, P. D. Uspenskii
Info:Mariner Books (2001), Edition: New, Paperback, 399 pages

In Search of the Miraculous: Fragments of an Unknown Teaching by P. D. Ouspensky (1949)

Harmony by Project Itoh (Lucy_Skywalker)
    Lucy_Skywalker: Some interesting thoughts on consciousness and memory, contesting egos and wishes etc. I wouldn't be surprised if Itoh Project had read it.

English (4)  French (1)  All languages (5)
Chapter III - includes "connectedness of everyting in nature".
Chapter V - mechanics of the universe, the "ray of creation" from the Absolute.

Chapter VI - what should our purpose be?

Chapter VII - consciousness - we do not remember ourselves
  keylawk | Dec 30, 2012 |
Reading it changed my perspectives on life! This is perhaps the most profound book I have ever read along with Marcelo Motta's Astral Attack and Defense. Every day was a wonder and each paragraph seemed to bring a whole flurry of thoughts, ideas and insight. The Fourth Way and Thelema are parallel in that both recommend that an aspirant develop all of his/her faculties - athletic, rational/detached/scientific, intuitive/emotional/artistic, and sensual. ( )
  cyanide.cupcake | Sep 11, 2011 |
Back when I was a callow youth, attending university and living unconsciously, I took a course at the university where this book was assigned as suggested reading. I never did read the book at that time, but when I began to "wake up," I remembered that book and thought it might hold some answers for me. So I read it, and it set me on the path to discovering my Self. It was just the first step on the path, and it doesn't hold all the answers, but it is an eye opener for people who want to think a little deeper about things and wake up from the dream. ( )
  JolleyG | Apr 10, 2011 |
excelente
  franmolinari2007 | Dec 31, 1969 |

A new edition of the groundbreaking spiritual treasure, with a foreword by bestselling author Marianne Williamson .

Since its original publication in 1949, In Search of the Miraculous has been hailed as the most valuable and reliable documentation of G. I. Gurdjieff's thoughts and universal view. This historic and influential work is considered by many to be a primer of mystical thought as expressed through the Work, a combination of Eastern philosophies that had for centuries been passed on orally from teacher to student. Gurdjieff's goal, to introduce the Work to the West, attracted many students, among them Ouspensky, an established mathematician, journalist, and, with the publication of In Search of the Miraculous, an eloquent and persuasive proselyte.

Ouspensky describes Gurdjieff's teachings in fascinating and accessible detail, providing what has proven to be a stellar introduction to the universal view of both student and teacher. It goes without saying that In Search of the Miraculous has inspired great thinkers and writers of ensuing spiritual movements, including Marianne Williamson, the highly acclaimed author of A Return to Love and Illuminata. In a new and never-before-published foreword, Williamson shares the influence of Ouspensky's book and Gurdjieff's teachings on the New Thought movement and her own life, providing a contemporary look at an already timeless classic.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:18:58 -0400)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,249,493 books! | Top bar: Always visible