You Had Me at Hello by Mhairi McFarlane

You Had Me at Hello (edition 2012)

by Mhairi McFarlane

Info:Avon (2012), Paperback, 464 pages
Collections:Kindle, Fiction
Tags:Romcom, chick-lit

You Had Me At Hello by Mhairi McFarlane

Your enjoyment of You Had Me at Hello will depend sorely on how much Ben you can tolerate. Sadly, I couldn’t tolerate much.

This saddens me so much, because the premise for this book is wonderful. We’ve all had that one person who’s “got away”, so it is supposed to be easy to relate to this story.

It starts off pretty strong too! We see Rachel & Ben in college, where it all started. Ben jokingly (and so cutely!!!) proposes to Rachel and then we’re thrust into present day, 13 years later. Rachel is unhappily engaged to someone else, and hasn’t heard from Ben in over a decade.

For the most part, this book is told in past and present POV’s. The past POV shows us Rachel’s life with Ben in college, while the present POV tells shows us how Rachel has been dealing with her life after her fallout with Ben.

What motivated me to keep reading was the fact that I wanted to know why they stopped speaking to each other.

After I actually found out, I was left feeling so disappointed. It made me hate the situation even more and frankly removed an overall star from my rating.

Rachel seems like a very put-together girl, and I value her honesty at the beginning and her courage to have broken off her engagement because she wasn’t happy. After this, when Ben comes into the picture she turns into this lovesick, indecisive, girl who is suddenly unable to speak her mind and decides to settle for whatever it is Ben can offer her.

Which, let’s get this out of the way first: Ben is married. Yes, you heard me correctly. He is not only married, but also happily married. So now begins the constant hot/cold back and forth game between Ben & Rachel.

I hate Ben. I seriously do. Ben is like this annoying rock in your shoe. You think it’ll stop annoying you eventually, but then it’s midday and the rock is really digging into your foot and you feel as if the only solution is to either cut off your foot or set the rock on fire (just me…?). Point is, whenever you thought you couldn’t get any more annoyed by Ben, there he went, annoying you even more!

He said he loved his wife, he said he was happily married, he said he didn’t give a crap about Rachel’s love life, except that’s what it all was. Words. Whenever Rachel did as much as look at someone who wasn’t Ben, he would go all possessive and weird. And then everyone tries to make Rachel feel bad as if she were trying to break apart a marriage or something! I really couldn’t deal with something that was so clearly Ben’s fault.

Something else that really bothered me was the ending. So much angst and drama! I really could’ve done without it. It left me with a bitter taste in my mouth, and a scowl for the rest of the week.

What I did like was Rachel’s group of friends. They were all so quirky and fun! I wanted to be friends with them in real life. I also liked the college scenes because Rachel & Ben were much more tolerable then. There’s no doubt that Mhairi McFarlane is a great author, however this book needed much more editing and revision.

Overall, a book that tells us that when the one who got away comes back, you have to act like a total idiot and wait until he gains the courage to either dump his wife for you OR lead you on and then dump you for his wife. Both outcomes WILL make YOU the villain of the story and everyone you know will very likely see you as a ho.Also, you are a monster who deserves no sympathy. And ugly.

This book could have been something really great, but due to my strong dislike for the main characters, and the lack of real story, I really could not bring myself to rate it something more than 2 stars. ( )
  mariannelee_0902 | Jun 19, 2015 |
Me gusto la historia de amor ... pero llegando al final , le falto algo . SEnti que en los ultimos capitulos , la autora apuro el desenlace y quedo sin sustancia (hoy estoy mal con las palabras , disculpen) , poco creible .

Tampoco me intereso la trama que gira en torno al laburo de la muchachita ; en ningun momento me pude concentrar del todo en esas partes ... y Simon , que se involucra en esas escenas se me hacia insoportable (mas alla del final y lo que resulta ser el personaje) .

EN fin , lo lei con mucha expectativa ya que , segun la trama y las reseñas de los usuarios compañeros , era la novela ideal para mis sensibilidades ... pero , de verdad , las partes sobre el trabajo de ella me aburrieron bastante (y eso quizas sea porque ya veo venir el final de mis vacaciones , je) y aunque la pareja me encanto , me falto emocion .

Usando la frase que uso mi hermana menor (entonces de quince años) cuando vimos LA terrible adaptacion al cine de EL AMOR en los tiempos del colera - la pareja no me enamoro . Me gusto , fue aceptable ... pero no me enamore .. ( )
  LaMala | Jun 7, 2015 |
I liked this book to a certain degree after I forced myself to read through a few chapters. I found it a little difficult to get into, at first, because of the authors over-the-top analogies; there were too many, and they seemed a little forced. The ending could also have been better. In saying that, it was light-hearted and the heroine's group of friends really put the fun into the story. All round, it was a nice read and. I would read another book by this author based on this book.
  NicolaMariaByrne | Oct 23, 2014 |
I really enjoyed this book and the plot lines defiantly threw me through a loop. I honestly didn't know how this story was going to finish. Rachel might get back with Rhys. No wait she isn't. It made me laugh, cry and have a silly grin on my face. I would highly recommend this book to anyone, especially those who like romance books. I did cry at the point in the book when Ben says to Rachel 'Please don't come looking for me again.' I felt so sorry for Rachel. I was so happy with the ending and would read more of Mhairi McFarlane's work. I really enjoyed being able to read about their past as I felt you got to understand the character's a lot more through the jump backs. ( )
  naomixbray | Sep 20, 2014 |
Loved it! ( )
  BibiPaterson | May 6, 2014 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 000748805X, Paperback)

What happens when the one that got away comes back? Find out in this sparkling debut from Mhairi McFarlane. 'Think of the great duos of history. We're just like them.' 'You mean like Kylie and Jason? Torvill and Dean? Sonny and Cher?' 'I think you've missed the point, Rachel.' Rachel and Ben. Ben and Rachel. It was them against the world. Until it all fell apart. It's been a decade since they last spoke, but when Rachel bumps into Ben one rainy day, the years melt away. They'd been partners in crime and the best of friends. But life has moved on: Ben is married. Rachel is not. Yet in that split second, Rachel feels the old friendship return. And along with it, the broken heart she's never been able to mend. Hilarious, heartbreaking and everything in between, you'll be hooked from their first 'hello'.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:09:14 -0400)

What happens when the one that got away comes back? Rachel and Ben. Ben and Rachel. It was them against the world. Until it all fell apart. Ten years after they said goodbye, Rachel bumps into Ben one rainy day. As they talk, the years melt away. But life has moved on. Ben is married. Rachel is not. And slowly but surely, Rachel feels the return of the broken heart she can't do anything to mend.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 98,999,525 books! | Top bar: Always visible