The Cassandra Project by Jack McDevitt

The Cassandra Project (original 2012; edition 2012)

by Jack McDevitt, Mike Resnick

Member:agingcow2345
Title:The Cassandra Project
Authors:Jack McDevitt
Other authors:Mike Resnick
Info:Ace Hardcover (2012), Hardcover, 400 pages
Rating:***

The Cassandra Project by Jack McDevitt (2012)

Hmm...okay, well I'm do wish I could go with a half star here -as in 2.5. It's a well-written book but the whole mystery you're reading and waiting to be revealed is too long in coming. If the author's had tightened the book it would be less critical but 340 pages for what is mystery most will figure out before the end is simply asking too much.

Bottom line: Character development is superb and the concept is solid, but the pay-off is too long coming and underwhelming if you guess it ahead of time. ( )
  RalphLagana | Jan 23, 2016 |
More of a mistery than a sci-fi book, somewaht reminding me of a "lighter" version of a Dan Brown novel. Fairly enjoyable, even if light on plausible engineering/science. ( )
  Guide2 | Dec 25, 2015 |
SPOILERS! This is book is set in 2019, in an era where NASA is faltering. The story is told primarily through a man who serves as a NASA Spokesman, and a billionaire who despises NASA and is sending his own mission to the moon. The book is fairly interesting at the start. Mysterious audio recordings show a crew making a non-lunar landing flight talking to Mission Control as if they were about to make a lunar landing. Apparently nobody in NASA has ever heard of this, so they play it off as a joke.

This is the bit that really bothers me. The author has two circumlunar flights occurring in 1969, prior to Apollo 11. The crews are entirely fictional, and the author refuses to number the flights. So, is the crew that actually made the first landing supposed to be Apollo 9? Did the actual flights of Apollo 9 and Apollo 10 not happen in this world? Or are these "secret" missions that involved "secret" flight-worthy vehicles that nobody remembered building, launched by "secret" Saturn V rockets that nobody saw launching? But people in the novel remember these missions, so were they played off as Apollo 0 Prime and Apollo 10 Prime, as if the real missions were unsuccessful and we had to try again? This may not matter to most readers, but it seriously drove me crazy.

I read this pretty quickly, wanting to find out what the big reveal was. This book would have been so much better if the big surprise was something different. How about a secret Soviet lunar base? Chinese? German? But, no. The author has to go with religious connections. Most of the book was pretty good, but the ending was meh. ( )
1 vote LISandKL | Dec 27, 2014 |
I don't really know Mike Resnick, but I like Jack McDevit, so I picked this up. Others have described the plot so I'll keep it simple. It's a few years from now, NASA is a ghost of it's past glories. A rich guy decides it's time to get back into space and plans an audacious trip to the moon. Now if the book was just about that, I think it might have been good. Instead, the story is an endless chase after clues that America had landed an Apollo craft on the moon before Neil Armstrong and had covered up the story all these years. The chase for clues, largely fruitless, and boring, is most of the book. What could the government have possibly been covering up? Well, what do you think? I'll give you a clue, it's not a monolith like in "2001: A Space Odyssey", but pretty close. Granted, there's a twist, but not a very original twist.

The book is so slow moving, that about 50 pages from the end, I was convinced that the secret was not going to be re veiled until a sequel. At least the story came to an end although a sequel looks inevitable. I'll pass. ( )
  capewood | Dec 8, 2014 |
Character development was good and the synopsis was very believable - but I was bored and was anxious for the story to end. ( )
  mtoc54 | Jun 25, 2014 |

Jack McDevittprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Resnick, Mikemain authorall editionsconfirmed

With interest in the space program waning, a public affairs director at NASA reveals a shocking secret about the Apollo 11 mission from fifty years ago.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 108,308,950 books! | Top bar: Always visible