A Most Scandalous Proposal by Ashlyn…

A Most Scandalous Proposal (edition 2013)

by Ashlyn Macnamara

Member:Janet126
Title:A Most Scandalous Proposal
Authors:Ashlyn Macnamara
Info:Ballantine Books (2013), Mass Market Paperback, 352 pages
Collections:Read and owned at the time of reading
Rating:***
Tags:Historical Romance, Regency Romance, Julia St. Claire, Benedict Revelstoke

A Most Scandalous Proposal by Ashlyn Macnamara

I found myself really enjoying this story and all the characters in it. I'm really glad that I picked this book up :) ( )
  Krisrich85 | Oct 8, 2013 |
This is Ashlyn Macnamera's debut novel so she is definitely a new to me author. Don't get me wrong, I do love to read new to me authors. In fact, I have discovered a lot of awesome authors this way. However, this story just missed the mark. I read the book knowing this was going to be about Miss Julia St. Claire but instead, I was reading about the sister Sophia meeting another guy! I mean, I just barely started reading and by the time I reached Chapter 3, I was totally confused about where this story was headed.

True, there are books that have two romance stories in them, one being a minor romance in the book but I usually read about their romance in the middle of the book after the romance of the main characters have been developed and usually not before. That being said, this just fell short for me. I expected to read about the characters mentioned in the book as the main characters and not about the sister, Sophia (which I thought was a bit of a flake).

This is a DNR (Do Not Resuscitate/Did Not Finish) for me. I may revisit this book at a later time but I won't hold my breath. I expected to be captured by the story by the time I reach the second chapter but this really missed the mark.
  zeeelicious | Aug 12, 2013 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This is a run of the mill Regency romance. I like Regency romances & this was a decent example of the genre but nothing outstanding. It is the story of the St Clair sisters Sophie & Julia and their desperate to see them married parents. Sophia is infatuated with the Earl of Clivesden, who only has eyes for Julia and Julia, who has no intention of getting married, begins to develop feelings for her long time friend Benedict Revelstoke. When the girls' father forces the issue by publicly announcing Julia's betrothal to Civesden, Julia takes matters into her own hands and schemes to get out of the betrothal with the help of Benedict.

It was an ok story, with a nice mix of romance, drama, mystery & humor but it was lacking a bit in motivational detail. The characters were given a decent amount of backstory but some things were still left unexplained. ( )
  Stacey42 | Apr 28, 2013 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This was a decent, but not spectacular book. I felt that I kept reading because I wanted to experience the secondary romance more than the primary one. ( )
  jenevolves | Apr 25, 2013 |
*I received a free ARC of this book from Random House Publishing via Netgalley in exchange of an honest review*

Two sisters who have long refused all their suitors end up having the choice made for them.

This review can now be found only on my blog (un)Conventional Bookviews.

Lexxie | Apr 23, 2013 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0345534743, Mass Market Paperback)

In Ashlyn Macnamara’s stunning romance debut—perfect for fans of Julia Quinn, Eloisa James, and Sabrina Jeffries—two childhood friends in Regency England discover love with the most unlikely of partners: each other.

After watching her beloved sister, Sophia, pine over the ton’s golden boy for years, Miss Julia St. Claire has foresworn love and put herself firmly on the shelf. Unfortunately, her social-climbing mother and debt-ridden father have other ideas, and jump at the chance to marry Julia off to the newly named Earl of Clivesden . . . the man of Sophia’s dreams.

Since resigning his cavalry commission, Benedict Revelstoke has spent his time in London avoiding the marriage mart. But when he discovers that the Earl of Clivesden has his sights set on Julia, Benedict tries to protect his childhood best friend from the man’s advances—only to discover that more than friendship is driving his desire to defend her. He surprises them both with the force of his feelings, but when Julia refuses him, and her father announces her betrothal, Benedict fears he’s lost her forever—until Julia approaches him with a shocking scheme that will ruin her for all respectable society and lead them into an exquisite world of forbidden pleasures.

“A tale of high-stakes scandal and heartfelt passion . . . a most delicious treat!”—Tessa Dare, New York Times bestselling author

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:53:24 -0400)

"After watching her beloved sister, Sophia, pine over the ton's golden boy for years, Miss Julia St. Claire has foresworn love and put herself firmly on the shelf. Unfortunately, her social-climbing mother and debt-ridden father have other ideas, and jump at the chance to marry Julia off to the newly named Earl of Clivesden . . . the man of Sophia's dreams. Since resigning his cavalry commission, Benedict Revelstoke has spent his time in London avoiding the marriage mart. But when he discovers that the Earl of Clivesden has his sights set on Julia, Benedict tries to protect his childhood best friend from the man's advances--only to discover that more than friendship is driving his desire to defend her. He surprises them both with the force of his feelings, but when Julia refuses him, and her father announces her betrothal, Benedict fears he's lost her forever--until Julia approaches him with a shocking scheme that will ruin her for all respectable society and lead them into an exquisite world of forbidden pleasures."--P. [4] of cover.… (more)

14 wanted1 pay3 pay

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

A Most Scandalous Proposal by Ashlyn Macnamara was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,428,578 books! | Top bar: Always visible