The Bughouse Affair: A Carpenter and…

The Bughouse Affair: A Carpenter and Quincannon Mystery (edition 2013)

by Marcia Muller, Bill Pronzini

Info:Forge Books (2013), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 272 pages
Rating:**1/2
Tags:(fiction) mystery, 1890s, San Francisco

The Bughouse Affair by Marcia Muller

I really enjoyed this book. Ive read sone of Pronzini and Muller's individual books and didnt care for them that much but when they write together it really works. I hope they continue this series! ( )
  EmpressReece | Aug 22, 2016 |
This delightful historical fiction pairs up two congenial characters as partners in a detective agency. While Sabina Carpenter and John Quincannon appear to working on solving separate cases, eventually the investigations become intertwined. Adding to the intrigue is the chance meeting with another famous detective from across the pond - Sherlock Holmes. Quincannon believes the fellow to be an impostor, for surely everyone knows that Holmes is dead. In the audio version, the alternating chapters of Sabina and John are read by two narrators, adding to its charm. This entertaining mystery is a promising beginning to a new series. ( )
  Maydacat | Jul 25, 2015 |
It is rather a hodgepodge of cliches, though I did like wandering through Victorian San Francisco. Quincannon is a dud, he is reminiscent of the block of Irish Peat that Molly Malone suffers with in Rhys Bowen's otherwise fun series. Picture S Holmes as the most exciting character, they must have really become bored with their current protagonists to have written this book.
I am currently reading , actually, rereading, the early McCone books because they predated LibraryThing; and enjoying them. They have evolved nicely into an excellent crime fighting, mystery solving partnership. I finished Bughouse and hope subsequent books benefit from a similar epiphany. ( )
  jamespurcell | Mar 14, 2015 |
John Quincannon, formerly of the U.S. Secret Service, and Sabina Carpenter, a former Pinkerton operative, together run a private detective agency in Victorian San Francisco. Each of the business partners has taken the lead in the investigation for one of the agency's two current clients. Quincannon is looking into a series of thefts for an insurance agency, while Carpenter is hunting for a pickpocket working San Francisco's leisure spots. The detectives discover a possible connection between the cases, and they receive assistance (or rather, interference) from an unlikely source.

The first person perspective alternates by chapter between Carpenter and Quincannon. I listened to the audio version with a male and a female narrator. This doesn't work particularly well since Carpenter and Quincannon have a lot of conversations with each other. Each narrator ends up doing voice characterizations for both detectives. I was bothered by some historical inaccuracies. One of the characters buys a cone of ice cream a decade before their introduction at the Saint Louis World's Fair, and the same character visited the Chutes more than a year before they opened. The addition of Sherlock Holmes (supposed dead after his confrontation with Moriarty at Reichenbach Falls) is superfluous. His presence gives me the impression that the authors weren't sure the Carpenter/Quincannon duo could carry the story on their own. There's nothing about the plot or the characters that would tempt me to continue reading this series. ( )
  cbl_tn | Jan 28, 2014 |
The Bughouse Affair the first book in a new historical mystery series set in San Francisco during the 1890’s offered up interesting characters and two cases that become intertwined. The tale features former Pinkerton operative Sabina Carpenter and John Quincannon, a former secret service agent who together have opened their own detective agency. I quickly became caught up in the mysteries and the character claiming to be none other than Sherlock Holmes himself.

The detective offices of Carpenter and Quincannon have two cases they are working on. He is working on a case for an insurance company where a series of burglaries involving insurance holders leads them to believe someone has gotten a hold of their client list. She is trying to catch a clever pickpocket who is robbing people at Chutes Amusement Park and affecting their business. The two cases seem completely unrelated but clues begin to make them fear otherwise. While trying to apprehend the housebreaker, Quincannon is detained by a man professing to be the dead man Sherlock Holmes. The tale that unfolds was suspenseful, witty and reminded me of old detective novels.

Muller and Pronzini did an excellent job of introducing us to Carpenter and Quincannon. I got a real sense for these quirky detectives, and found them to be amusing and confident. I loved how Holmes unnerved them, especially the overly confident, easily ruffled Quincannon. Sabina is still morning the loss of her husband, a former detective at Pinkerton and he has made his feelings for her well known. I found their banter to be delightful and funny. While there is no romance in this first book, the possibility is there. Holmes or whoever this man is was perfectly portrayed as the pompous, long-winded detective himself. I thoroughly enjoyed the scenes involving him and his clever sleuthing skills. The cast of suspects, informants and clients all added to the tale and were well fleshed out as well.

The world building and use of period language was very well done. The author(s) descriptions of both San Francisco and the people of this era came to life. The plot unfolded at a nice pace, and escalated towards the end with a few twists to my delight. I did figure out the case, before it was revealed and thought the how and why was clever. I found the terminology for criminals, and other creatures that inhabited the shadier streets to be fascinating. It does slow the reading pace as there are a lot of terms, suspects, places and facts to take it but it was such fun! I am looking forward to their next case.
I want to thank Tor/Forge for providing this ARC in exchange for my unbiased review. Kimba @ Caffeinated Book Reviewer ( )
  kimbacaffeinate | Mar 30, 2013 |

Marcia Mullerprimary authorall editionscalculated
Pronzini, Billmain authorall editionsconfirmed

In The Bughouse Affair, this first of a new series of lighthearted historical mysteries set in 1890s San Francisco, former Pinkerton operative Sabina Carpenter and her detective partner, ex-Secret Service agent John
Quincannon, undertake what initially appear to be two unrelated investigations.

Sabina’s case involves the hunt for a ruthless lady “dip” who uses fiendish means to relieve her victims of their valuables at Chutes Amusement Park and other crowded places.  Quincannon, meanwhile, is after a slippery housebreaker who targets the homes of wealthy residents, following a trail that leads him from the infamous Barbary Coast to an oyster pirate’s lair to a Tenderloin parlor house known as the Fiddle Dee Dee.

The two cases eventually connect in surprising fashion, but not before two murders and assorted other felonies complicate matters even further. And not before the two sleuths are hindered, assisted, and exasperated by the bughouse Sherlock Holmes.

Fans of Marcia’s Muller’s bestselling Sharon McCone novels and Bill Pronzini’s Nameless Detective series will applaud this and future exploits from the annals of Carpenter and Quincannon, Professional Detective Services.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:07 -0400)

1890s San Francisco. Former Pinkerton operative Sabina Carpenter and her detective partner, ex-Secret Service agent John Quincannon, tackle two seemingly unrelated cases that are complicated by two murders and the interference of Sherlock Holmes.

11 wanted1 pay3 pay

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,731,052 books! | Top bar: Always visible