Deep Into the Game: S.W. Tanpepper's…

Deep Into the Game: S.W. Tanpepper's GAMELAND (Episode 1) (Volume 1) (edition 2012)

by Saul Tanpepper, Ken J. Howe (Cover Design)

Series: GAMELAND (1)

Member:Plachno
Title:Deep Into the Game: S.W. Tanpepper's GAMELAND (Episode 1) (Volume 1)
Authors:Saul Tanpepper
Other authors:Ken J. Howe (Cover Design)
Info:CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform (2012), Paperback, 130 pages
Collections:Fiction, Your library

Deep Into the Game: S.W. Tanpepper's GAMELAND (Episode 1) (Volume 1) by Saul Tanpepper

This is the first in an 9-part series, plus there is a prequel to this story as well. I really liked the plot, the backstory draws me into the action and makes me want to know more about the world that was created. I couldn't say that I really felt much or got involved with the characters, but this was the first in the series, and the other episodes may flesh out the characters more. I will be reading the rest to find out what happens! ( )
  calicocat901 | Aug 10, 2014 |
The apocalypse is old news. Zombies roam the restricted areas and Gameland, a Long Island arena owned by Arc Entertainment is the sport of choice for the wealthy. Zombies are used not only to compete in the games, but janitorial tasks. A group of teens decide to break into Gameland. Things go bad, so very bad.

Gameland is told first person by Jessie, a teenage girl. She and her moody boyfriend, along with her best friend Ash, and Micah and Reggie aren't looking forward to their senior year of high school. Their last hoorah is to sneak into the infected zone to have some fun before the monotony of school begins.

Tanpepper's got something here. I like the unique plot he's created; reminds me of Mad Max's Thunderdome. The story is told in episodes, a total of eight. I've read only the first episode but I'm definitely looking forward to reading further. The book kept me intrigued all the way through, but at the halfway point it got even better and turned into something I just couldn't put down. It was an exhilarating and nail-biting adventure. I considered giving this a four star rating, but as the story progressed, it earned my five stars. The setting was new and futuristic, the concept was imaginative, and the characters were well fleshed out.

The prologue sucked me right in. Tanpepper jumps forward to reveal a hint of the ending and there was no way I could stop reading without finding out the journey that got our little group to that point. Being that the book is episodic, I wasn't rewarded with the full scope of the story. The episode ended in such a way that I can't let it end there...so I downloaded the second episode.

Visit www.bookie-monster.com to read my full review. ( )
  shanafesta | Dec 2, 2013 |
I enjoyed this book. It was hard to put down. I kept wanting to know what would happen next. I will definitely be getting the other books of the series.

Note: This book was free and given to me with the expectation that I would review. The content of my review was in no way influenced by this understanding. The book speaks for itself and my review would have been worded just this way even if I'd gone out and bought it. ( )
  Plachno | Jan 24, 2013 |
OK, to bring you up to date. The author asked if I would like to read the first book in a series he published. The synopsis sounded good and I committed. Before I could find time to read it, I discovered a prequel called, Golgotha, which I bought and read and downright loved. 5 Stars.

Next, I discovered there were a total of 8 episodes now available in The Season One Omnibus of S. W. Tanpepper's Gameland, so I bought that for a very reasonable price and set about reading Episode 1: Deep Into the Game.

I'm really enjoying the story, but at this stage, I though it should have had better proofreading. Especially since this is now a published series and not just an Advance Readers Copy.

Example: "...I can see that he's only trying scaring her into remembering." Maybe "trying to scare her into remembering" would have been better. Then there's "What would a zombie o after reanimating underwater?" I'm sure the "o" should be "do". There were several of these kinds of errors. Thus, a 4 star instead of a 5 star review.

In the prequel novella, Golgotha, we learned how the Government found a way of reanimating the dead, creating what were initially called Zulus and later discovering how they could put them under computer control using L.I.N.C.s (Latent Individualized, Neuroleptic Connections), thus creating zombie fighters they could control, known as the Omegaman Forces.

In Gameland, it's 15 years later and between climate change and periodic zombie outbreaks, times are definitely changed. Consider the Life Service Law, Now everyone is legally considered government property after death. You die, you become Undead and you serve the government in some capacity until your time of servitude is ended. Then there's Gameland, Long Island is cut off completely, "after the second flood, the Army Corps of Engineers went in and walled it off and evacuated the people still alive." Later Arc Properties converted one of the zones into a new type of gaming arcade, which they called Gameland. Then they imported a new crop of Zombies as Players. It costs more than a million bucks to buy into the game.

A group of 6 teenage hackers with more spunk than brains decide it might be fun to see if they can get onto Long Island and check it out. S. W. Tanpepper is very good with dialog, I found the banter between the characters to be comfortable and convincing. The story is fast-paced and despite the subject matter, very believable.

Episode 1: Deep Into the Game, ends with a cliff-hanger and I want to dive right back in to Episode 2: Failsafe, and after a few few quick reads of other works that I've committed myself to read, that's just what I plan on doing.

If you can get past a few grammatical/sentence structure errors, this one is a lot of fun.

Available in a variety of e-book formats as well as paperback. If you think you'll like these books, get the prequel and the omnibus will save a you a few bucks. ( )
  FrankErrington | Jan 12, 2013 |

Saul Tanpepper is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,507,472 books! | Top bar: Always visible