Beastly Beautiful by Dara England

Beastly Beautiful (edition 2012)

by Dara England

1912537,190 (4.08)1
Member:CaitieM.
Title:Beastly Beautiful
Authors:Dara England
Info:CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform (2012), Paperback, 272 pages

Beastly Beautiful by Dara England

Teagan Grant is a homeless girl, on the run from her family and is in desperate need of money and food. I wish the Ms. England would have revealed more into Teagan's past, so as the reader, I could fully understand her character and how she became the way she is. This book would be so much better if it went into more detail, and made the book a bit longer.

As if life on the streets is hard enough, she runs into trouble with "Sir." He's hired her to do a mysterious assignment and she has absolutely no idea of what's to come. Sir instantly see's the intelligence in her, making her an even better fit for what he needs her for.

She ends up putting herself in more danger than she ever thought with "Sir" and his beastly curses and clandestine rituals. Sir keeps so many secrets, Teagan eventually starts searching for secrets he might have. Teagan is scared of Sir but also drawn to him in a way she is scared and uncertain of.

One thing I never understood is the reasoning behind Sir's odd tasks, that require specific instructions without any questions. This added to the suspense, and kept me wanting to read more to find the answers

It was definitely fun to read a completely different spin on the old classic Beauty and the Beast, and I could see the similarities. I could tell Dara England tried to make it a believable story by making it more realistic.

This book didn't have the amount of romance that I was expecting. The book mainly focuses on the trust, or lack there of, that both Tegan and Sir are keeping from one another.

The book began to be predictable, but by the time I reached half way into the book, I could clearly tell what was going to happen. There was still some points that I found to be something I hadn't anticipated which still made it an enjoyable read. Unlike some books, Dara writes in a very realistic terms with the characters interactions.

As I said before, I wish there was more to this book, by the end I was just dying for it to continue, or possibly even a sequel. Why did it have to end to abruptly? Regardless, I found this to be an amazing read that I highly recommend and I give it 5/5. ( )
  lizasarusrex | Jun 1, 2013 |
Reviewed by: Crystal N
Book provided by: Contest win at Library Thing
Review originally posted at Romancing the Book

I will start off by telling you that this story doesn’t have a lot of romance in it. It is a book about trust and helping each other out. Both have secrets that they don’t want to tell and they do have some strange things they do.

Teagan is running away from her family and lives on the street and will do just about anything to get some money because she is starving. So this man comes up to her that she calls Sir. He wants her to do some crazy thing for some money.

This book was different and I really don’t know what I think about it. In one way I liked it and in another it was a strange read. I liked trying to find out what secrets that they both had and I was surprised. I am still trying to wrap my mind around this book. There were so many things going on and when you thought you had it figured out, you realize that you really have no idea.

I really am trying to come up with the best way to describe how I feel and I am so afraid that if I do I will give too much of the book away and I don’t want to do that. So I will just say that I enjoyed the plot and I didn’t like the ending much. I felt it was missing something at the end.

If you like a book that has a little romance and some mystery and suspense then this is the book for you. It wasn’t what I thought it was but just take the time and try it yourself. ( )
  RtB | May 5, 2013 |
Overall it was a well written and exciting book but by the time I was about 1/4 through it, I found it too predictable. That's not saying I didn't find twists and turns I didn't expect but I was looking for a unique rendition. I can only rate it a 3 since I saw what was going to happen long before it did. ( )
  CindyHoldmann | May 3, 2013 |
I loved it! I really got attached to the characters and the plot was intriguing. Beastly Beautiful kept me up all night because I couldn't bear to put it down. ( )
  summers1630 | Apr 19, 2013 |
I Thought that this book was well written. I like the authors writting style, and found it engaging. This story was a new take on my favorite fairy tale. I liked that Tegan was not your average main character, she is someone who has become homeless. I man who only identifies himself as Sir found her and asked to perform an odd task, and curiosity gets the better of her. Eventually she decides to try and bribe Sir, in order to give herself the chance to live off the streets, I felt the story was a little rushed, and would have benefited from building more of a love story, and connection between Tegan and Sir. Although you are expecting them to fall in love, it could have benefited from them connecting more, and having things in common. Overall this was a fairly enjoyable afternoon read and I'd recommend it to young and new adults. ( )
  Kaybee2188 | Mar 22, 2013 |

One girl, one secret ...

Teagan Grant is homeless and on the run from her family. Life on the streets is rough enough but it’s about to get worse as she takes her fate into her hands by agreeing to a mysterious assignment from a sinister stranger calling himself “Sir”. With no idea she’s about to find herself in more peril than she can imagine, Teagan enters Sir’s shadowy world of beastly curses and clandestine rituals.

From murky alleyways and sparkling penthouses to menacing midnight forests, she pursues the answers her new employer will do anything to conceal. But as her relationship with the enigmatic Sir grows closer, so too does a new enemy—one with plans to destroy them both. Will Teagan and Sir learn to trust one another in time to join forces against this looming threat?

*** Originally published by Lyrical Press in 2009, under the title This Side of Dawn.

Dara England is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,324,322 books! | Top bar: Always visible