Secretly Smitten by Colleen Coble

Secretly Smitten (edition 2013)

by Colleen Coble, Kristin Billerbeck (Contributor), Denise Hunter (Contributor), Diann Hunt (Contributor)

31None354,330 (4.57)None
Member:BrokenTeepee
Title:Secretly Smitten
Authors:Colleen Coble
Other authors:Kristin Billerbeck (Contributor), Denise Hunter (Contributor), Diann Hunt (Contributor)
Info:Thomas Nelson (2013), Paperback, 400 pages
Collections:Read and passed on

Secretly Smitten by Colleen Coble

This is the first anthology fiction book I've read. I know. Where have I been, right? I was pleasantly surprised. Four very different authors with very different voices came together and pulled off a terrific book. I thought it was thoroughly enjoyable how each author wrote about a specific character and how each had their own twist to the short story. My time is excruciatingly limited, and at first, I was a little concerned at how thick this book was. All that for nothing. Each story was well written and I found myself flying through the book. Each character was well-rounded and likable with her very own traits that endeared them to the reader, and each hero was a perfect match. No one fell in love too quickly, and there was just enough romantic angst to keep you reading. It was a gently told story that weaved in much truth ~ each person, no matter what family they were born into, is different ~ with their own personality and worth. It's a keeper and I will read it again. If I could, I'd give it 4.5 stars.
~ I received a complimentary copy of this book, thanks to Thomas Nelson, in exchange for my honest review. All opinions are my own. ~ ( )
  AmandaWrites | Dec 30, 2013 |
This is the first book I have written that was written by different authors and I really liked it. I fell in love with all of the characters and I was sad when the book ended. All of the authors did such a good job at writing each of the different stories that it was hard to believe that they weren't written by the same person because they all seemed to flow together well. I am really looking forward to check out other books by the authors because they did such a great job at with this book. ( )
  mattidw | Dec 17, 2013 |
Secretly Smitten
Colleen Coble, Kristin Billerbeck, Diann Hunt, & Denise Hunter

Book Summary: Summer, fall, winter, spring—Smitten, Vermont, is the place for love . . . and mystery! There’s a secret in Grandma Rose’s attic—a forgotten set of dog tags belonging to her first love. But David Hutchins was killed in action and never returned to Smitten. How did the dog tags end up in the attic? The mystery intrigues Rose’s three granddaughters—Tess, Clare, and Zoe—and they decide to investigate, though their mother, Anna, warns against meddling. But as the seasons turn and the mystery unravels, the three young women and their mother encounter some intriguing mystery men of their own. Has a sixty-year-old puzzle sparked something new for this close-knit family of women? Join popular romance novelists—and real-life BFFs—Colleen Coble, Kristin Billerbeck, Diann Hunt, and Denise Hunter for four delightful intertwined tales of mystery and sweet intrigue.

Book Review: Like all the stories very much. I think it would be hard to pick a favorite. Even the one that I was least interested in became very enjoyable to the point of wanting to know how it ended. I like the carryover ‘mystery’ involving Grandma it was a good link between the stories. I liked Denise Hunter’s story because it tied everything up very well. Not all series do that. Grandma’s mystery did not have a very exciting climax which was sad but with a limit to the length and content of the story something had to be decreased and left to one’s imagination. I am looking forward to reading Smitten now.
I would like to thank Net Galley and Thomas Nelson for allowing me to read and review this book in return for a free copy and I was never asked to write a favorable review by anyone. ( )
  Robin661 | Jun 24, 2013 |
Secretly Smitten by Colleen Coble, Kristin Billerbeck, Denise Hunter, Diann Hunt
Each of the authors have a few chapters that pick up where the last chapter left off-with the same characters and story line.
Between the lines by Colleen Cable
Smitten, VT romantic touristy town.
At Natalie's baby shower the little girl playing in the attic finds her grandmothers beau dog tags and she says he died in the war so she married another man.
The man used to live in Ryans house so Tess Thomas asks if she can help him clean out the attic-any news on David Hutchins, the owner of the dog tags. He takes a liking to her and enjoys having her around him and his daughter. He's a single dad.
She runs the local bookstore and he and Sophia read a lot. Besides finding the clues about David the whole community is fixing up the train station in hopes they can get the trains to stop to boost their business. Love hearing all the handiwork that goes into repairing everything.
Although there is a lot going on it's easy to keep track of the characters and their professions and their relationships.
Easy going folks but there are obstacles to overcome.
Make Me a Match by Kristin Billerbeck
This section is mostly about Zoey Thomas and her new business. William Singer is the one who must adhere to rules and regulations and he finds fault with Zoe's renovations.
She butts heads with him as she wants to cook for the shut-ins but he finds exposed wiring that is against the code for the building.
She misunderstandings when the fire chief puts a halt to her meeting as there are too many people in one room...
Faith in God helps her get through. The sisters also continue to follow the leads to David. Sometimes the lesson from God is the gift, what a great phrase!
Knit One, Love Two by Diann Hunt
Love the name of this as I do knit. Anna Thomas runs the local yarn store and Mrs. Connors meets with others there and knits.
Michael, works at a ski lodge, has shown up to pick up his mother after the meeting-he's just back from the Marines and they go to the same church.
She's divorced from Joe and she's busy in her daughter's life's.
She helps do errands for him when he injures his leg skiing. He shares that he's not been in contact with his son but has been trying to reach him. She shares about how she might want to raise sheep and be able to spin the yarn-for her store.
Another mystery: someone buys things for single mothers with children and nobody knows who it is...
Again misunderstandings take hold...
Love Blooms by Denise Hunter
Claire Thomas runs the local nursery and loves planting things. The rest of her family had their loves and she has her plants.
Ethan Forest she had found in her barn where she stored the tools. He was there to get out of the rain and to answer her ad for work.
After she faints at work and he drives her home the rest of the family takes over with their remedies to get her better. It's the first long holiday weekend of the summer and the nursery is busy and her boss is back and she panics as she's not been there for several days.
Ethan had taken over and everything was in perfect order, much to her surprise.
It's been only a few weeks since the local chess player broke off with her saying she was boring...Ethan shared the family Sunday dinner and they get a chance to talk about their pasts.
She learns about the ministry he and Luke were going to go after the war...
He leaves before the centennial ceremonies and she realizes she is the only one alone, the others alone had had loves for years. she hadn't.
Love how everything is wound together at the ceremonies...
I received this book from Ocean State Libraries E-Zone ( )
  jbarr5 | May 6, 2013 |
Smitten, Vermont is known for being a small town that's big on romance. The people of Smitten love to draw people in and make them feel the love. For one family though, they haven't been as lucky in love. Spanning 3 generations, the four stories in this book show 5 different romances. Some are new and fresh and some are older than anyone even knew. Throughout it all, the town must work to try and get a new train line to stop in Smitten, providing necessary tourists. Deep with romance and mystery, this book leads one to believe that Smitten may truly be a romance capital.

So this book was interesting in that it was 4 different stories written by 4 different authors. They all tied together in the end though. I found some of the stories to be more entertaining than others; I guess that's just the nature of having 4 different authors write it. Some of them had styles that meshed much more with what I like to read than others. I won't tell you which ones were my favorites, but suffice it to say 2 of them were much more entertaining for me. Just know that if you get in the middle of a story and it's not that appealing, stick with it because the next story may be right up your alley.

There is an overlying mystery that helps tie the 4 main stories together. I really enjoyed that part. I did like how things tied together in the end too. It was very sweet. I also love that it's 4 smaller stories. That allowed me to be able to read around my other daily tasks. I also had the flu when I read this, so I was able to get some of the story in between temperature spikes. It worked very well for that purpose. Overall I enjoyed the book. It was just very sweet. This is perfect for when you just want to relax and fall in love...several times.

Galley provided for review. ( )
  l_manning | Apr 25, 2013 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 140168713X, Paperback)

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:30:11 -0400)

In a collection of interconnected stories by four authors, Rose's unexpected discovery in her attic of dog tags belonging to her dead first love prompts her granddaughters to investigate, despite their mother's objections.

Colleen Coble is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

45 wanted1 pay2 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,455,201 books! | Top bar: Always visible