Meetings with Remarkable Men (All and…

Meetings with Remarkable Men (All and Everything)

by G. I. Gurdjieff

I read this book many years ago, and was absolutely captivated by the book. I read it again after I bought it on the Kindle, and was a bit less captivated by the book. The section that I liked the most, was the one about his father. The four commandments of his father captured the crux of what we should all be about, as people. The next section that I liked, was the one about his teacher.

The rest of the sections are fantastic tales in themselves, and are very well told. This is why I give the book a four star rating. The writing style is much more accessible than the way that he wrote about Beelzebub's tales, and this is something that I like. I think that he made Beelzebub a bit too complex, that he made it complex for the sake of complexity.

I cannot say that I learned much from the book, barring the section on his father and teacher. But, the book is a joyous ride indeed. It is the story of a life fully lived. ( )
1 vote RajivC | Dec 7, 2013 |
dodgy-narrator, nonfiction, psychology, philosophy
Read in January, 1980

Gurdjieff vs Rasputin

"...Rom Landau was one of the first to compare Gurdjieff to Rasputin. Describing a meeting with Gurdjieff, he explains: 'I had been specially careful not to look at Gurdjieff and not to allow him to look into my eyes...'"

Time magazine once described Gurdjieff as "a remarkable blend of P.T. Barnum, Rasputin, Freud, Groucho Marx and everybody's grandfather." ( )
1 vote mimal | Sep 27, 2013 |
After a lengthy ("Gurdjeffian") Introduction, the author introduces "My Father" as the first of the remarkable men. He was "widely known" in the Transcaucasian Asia Minor as an "ashokh": This name is given those bards who composed, recited or sang and told all sorts of stories. Although for the most part illiterate, they knew innumerable and lengthy narratives and sang various melodies all from memory or instant improvisation. [32]

Gurdjieff notes the Gilgamesh epic discovered among this inventory, with its pre-Biblical flood. [33-36] He introduces and describes "kastousilia", the procedure of inventing questions and answers with logical plausibility but fanciful basis. "Where is God"? He is in Kamish. "What is he doing there?" He is making double latters so that on the tops of the tall pines he can fasten happiness, so that whole nations might ascend and reach it. [38]

As for his father's business acumen -- "every business that my father carried on...always went wrong." There was a tendency in his nature: "an instinctive aversion to deriving personal advantage for himself from the naivete and bad luck of others". [47]
  keylawk | Dec 29, 2012 |
Terza edizione 1984
  cirex | Jan 13, 2012 |
Great intro to Gurdjieff ( )
  sfisk | Sep 4, 2008 |

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0140190376, Paperback)

Right around the turn of the 20th century, G.I. Gurdjieff initiated a group of spiritual adventurers called the "Seekers of Truth." These intrepid intellectuals of every stripe crisscrossed Africa and Asia in search of the hidden mysteries of antiquity. In Meetings with Remarkable Men, Gurdjieff narrates their exploits while drawing portraits of these extraordinary figures (including one woman and a dog). Half travel journal, half autobiography, Meetings with Remarkable Men begins with Gurdieff's childhood, when he finds his book learning at odds with paranormal events that were self-evident but inexplicable through modern science. Later he discovers a map of "pre-sands Egypt" and evidence of the Sarmound Brotherhood, alleged keepers of ancient wisdom dating back four and a half millennia. He climbs the Himalayas, follows the Nile, and is led blindfolded to a mysterious monastery. In his encounters with dervishes, monks, and fakirs, Gurdjieff recovers the wisdom he seeks; by comparison, European understanding, he says, is backwards and barbaric. A controversial figure in his time, Gurdjieff inspired deep love and loyalty in his pupils and ridicule from skeptics. At the bookends of Meetings with Remarkable Men, Gurdjieff suggests the value of blurring the line between allegory and straight reporting. But then what exactly is Meetings with Remarkable Men? You be the judge. --Brian Bruya

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:36:17 -0400)

Gurdjieff's autobiographical account is suffused with his unique perspective on life, conveying a haunting sense of what it means to live fully. It is organised around portraits of the men and women who aided his search for hidden knowledge.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,327,892 books! | Top bar: Always visible