Emily's Trial: Book 2 of the Akasha…

Emily's Trial: Book 2 of the Akasha Chronicles (Volume 2) (edition 2012)

by Natalie Wright

721,138,814 (4)None
Member:ConciseReviews
Title:Emily's Trial: Book 2 of the Akasha Chronicles (Volume 2)
Authors:Natalie Wright
Info:
Rating:*****
Tags:magic, faeries, fey

Emily's Trial: Book 2 of the Akasha Chronicles (Volume 2) by Natalie Wright

The cover promises things that aren't delivered! I wanted Emily to be a bit more heroic (I mentioned that in my review yesterday as well). She strikes me as being a bit of an idiot, and damn it, she could be less weepy. They all could be a bit less weepy. More fighting to the death perhaps.

I kept reading this novel because it was short, and I felt that not too much could go wrong. How wrong I was! There is a lot of action going on, and this novel is definitely plot driven. The characters didn't endear themselves to me, but the action was good.

I just couldn't get over how stupid Emily was. I wanted her to redeem herself, but indeed, she didn't have all that much going for her. Oh, how much she threw away. Idiot! Arg!

Beware - cliff hanger ending. So if you loved Emily's House, then maybe you'll want to wait until the third book in this series comes out before you read this novel. Otherwise you'll find yourself horrified and wondering how things can be set right. I felt that Bridgid should have had a bit more omph too.

The writing style has improved since the first book, although there is still a fair amount of telling instead of showing going on. I certainly found that the dialogue was improved though.

This one does have death, and darkness, and despair. Emily is a bit older, a weeping 16 year old, and so the themes reflect that in a way. I'd therefore recommend it for younger teens, as I feel it doesn't have the substance required to keep things interesting for an older reader who prefers characters like me. ( )
  Rosemarie.Herbert | Feb 26, 2013 |
See my blog for the tour. Michelle's Paranormal Vault of Books. http://concisebookreviewsbymichelle.blogspot.com

I was pleasantly surprised by this 2nd installment in the Akasha Chronicles series. We got to meet Emily in Emily’s House first (book 1), then we get this great adventure. I really enjoyed this book, I will say I liked it a lot more than the first book. Not that I didn’t enjoy the first one, but she is only 14 in that book, and I have a hard time relating to children that go off an do stuff that I can’t believe, like taking off to Ireland alone, with no adults, from America, sorry, just not happening, getting on a plane, and her one friend, Jake “borrowed” a passport, as he didn’t have one, and was able to convince them at the airline he was 18 and he is a small 14 year old? Yeah, didn’t believe that. BUT, in this book, its 2 years later, and this was a lot easier for me to relate to, and believe.

In this book, like I said, its 2 years later from when she first learned of being the descendant of a Celtic Priestess, meaning she is one now herself. We have some major adventures in this book, and she now has some really awesome powers. I will try to not say too much, so I won’t spoil anything from the first book Emily’s House.

I love the worldbuilding and imagery Natalie does with this story, it pulls you in, and you feel like you are there in the story with them. I love how we get to see how much Emily and her friends have grown so much, and really just get to know them.
This whole series is full of fun magick, faeries, sprites, you name it, we have it all, just about. I love it all. I fell in love with this world, like I did with the Iron Fey series I love so much. It gives me the feel good feeling when I step into this world in the same way the Iron Fey did. Don’t get me wrong, they are not alike or anything, just similar in the feel with the fey and all.

I was sure on the edge of my seat at times, as I got about halfway, when some major manipulation by the enemy happens for Emily to possibly loose her friends; I felt her fear and pain. It sure was suspenseful.

Here is a funny scene I had enjoyed, its not a spoiler or anything, in the beginning of the book, Emily is at a party with a guy she likes and her friend Fanny, his name is Owen, and calls her Miss Magic.

“Sure, I can take a joke,” I said. I’ll show them one of my jokes.
Within a few seconds, the guy who had made the joke about the size of Owens … er, private parts … started to rise into the air. He was so drunk that at first, I’m not sure he even noticed. But then he started yelling, “Hey! What the hell?” Everyone started looking over at us, and it got quiet. I raised him up, up, up. What would he look like spinning? He began twirling like a top, faster and faster. He still had a cup of beer in his hand, and the beer was spilling down on the rest of the Neanderthal crew.
Owen joined everyone else in laughing.
“You can take a joke,” Owen whispered into my ear. The
feel of his warm breath on my ear made me just about lose it
and drop the guy on his head. But I held it together long enough to bring him down gently. All the twirling must have been a lousy combination with the beer because he ran from
the room and tried to make it out the front door. We could hear him ralphing in the hallway. Didn’t make it.
A round of applause rose, and it was Owen who started it. “A round of applause for Miss Magic,” he said as he
beamed. Chants of, “Again, again, again,” rose up from the crowd.

I highly recommend this series. It’s easy and fun to read, I know younger teens will really connect, but is still fun for all ages. Very well written.

5 out of 5 stars for me.
I received a complimentary copy of this book for a book tour with Reading Addiction Virtual Blog Tours. ( )
  ConciseReviews | Nov 17, 2012 |

Two years ago, Emily’s journey began. She learned the ancient magic of her Celtic ancestors, and became a modern Celtic Priestess. The golden torc, forged by faerie hands, is still wound around her arm, fused to her soul. She was entrusted with powerful magic – secret knowledge. But even a Priestess can feel desire – temptation – and the quest for love. Will passion entice Emily to use her sacred magic in a forbidden way? Can new love take root in a world of nightmares? And will her friendships survive Emily’s Trial? The Journey Continues . . .

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:28:50 -0400)

Natalie Wright is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,395,140 books! | Top bar: Always visible