NOS4A2: A Novel by Joe Hill

NOS4A2: A Novel (edition 2013)

by Joe Hill

Member:BeckyWalton
Title:NOS4A2: A Novel
Authors:Joe Hill
Info:William Morrow (2013), Hardcover, 704 pages
Tags:horror

NOS4A2 by Joe Hill

The Shining Girls by Lauren Beukes (rickyrickyricky)
    rickyrickyricky: Well: Time-traveling serial killer powered by unexplained forces. You'll see the comparison in many reviews. Shining Girls gets a more mixed reaction, and is unconventional in its structure and uncomfortable violence, but is worth looking into for fans. (The audiobook is fantastic, with a full cast of readers for every character.)… (more)
    It by Stephen King (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Malevolent entities that prey upon children are the driving force of these creepy, suspenseful horror stories. In both novels, only adults lucky enough to escape the villain's clutches in childhood are later able to battle the evil when it returns.… (more)

English (156)  French (1)  All languages (157)
How do I begin?

Read this book.

If you don't know, Joe Hill is Stephen King's son. Perhaps some purists will bemoan Hill's strong similarity to his father. Heck, he not only echoes him on every page, he flat-out refers to Mid-World and the True Knot as such. But no one comes by the likeness more honestly than this. I can only imagine the bedtime stories Joe heard as a child. Why wouldn't his own work reflect that?

Furthermore, if you love Stephen King, the thought has occurred to you that someday, there will be no more new King novels. Knowing Joe Hill's work exists and is just as good should illuminate that dark horizon for you; it has for me.

And he is just as good as his father. This is the first of his books that I've read, and it was a hefty 686 pages. Joe managed each and every one skillfully, ratcheting up the tension, the intrigue, the stakes. I'm already salivating for more of this Inscape. Every side trip mattered - every minor character had an essential role.

How do I tie this up?

Read this book. ( )
  LauraCerone | May 26, 2016 |
Very excited to find a new author in my fav genre. The writing was crisp and quickly lent itself to images in my head, which I like. It just lets me immerse myself in the story. It kept my interest throughout and I fell in love with the characters. He writes like you are talking to your best friend--it just flows naturally. You have a really nasty protagonist, and a unlikely heroine. I even liked the ending. Overall, a great story and a great book. I'll be reading his other novels, too. Joe, you have a new constant reader. Actually two, because I turned my sister on to you too! ( )
  debbie-1955 | May 7, 2016 |
I didn’t expect to love the strong supernatural element in this novel, but I did. Christmasland is an “inscape”: it’s outside of this world, a part of Manx’s imagination that can be accessed in his Rolls-Royce Wraith. Others can intrude on his inscape if they accompany him into it (like the children he abducts and transports there). Vic McQueen, too, has an inscape: the Shorter Way Bridge, which only appears when she is on her Tuff Burner bike as a child and her Triumph motorcycle as an adult. Only a very few people are gifted with these super-abilities of the mind, this bridging (pun intended) of the mental and physical. It adds a lot of tension to the story, as only Vic understands how to reach Manx—and her son—but of course, nobody believes her.

NOS4A2 is not a short novel, but it’s a full and exciting one. The plot is rich with detail, and the characters are very strongly written. Manx and his sidekick Bing are detestable and grotesque, but at the same time, they have some depth. They are not just mindless killers; they actually believe that they are doing the right thing. And I loved Vic, the tough, tattooed, damaged-but-trying mother.

At its heart, this horror novel is about love. The love of an alcoholic mother for her son. The almost-platonic love for a romantic partner. The horribly, horribly misguided love of a father for his daughters. And the lengths that people will go to for the people they love. And what is more creepy than taking something that so many people love—Christmas—and making it sinister?

I’m embarrassed to admit that before reading this novel, I had no idea that Joe Hill is Stephen King’s son. (Check out a photo of him—he looks just like his dad!) Hill is a masterful storyteller, and I think I might go so far as to say that I enjoyed NOS4A2 more than I’ve ever enjoyed a Stephen King novel. It’s that good. ( )
  blackrabbit89 | May 6, 2016 |
Still another book I couldn't put down. Joe Hill definitely has his father's touch. (He is the son of Stephen King). ( )
  Electablue | Apr 20, 2016 |
This book was so, so fantastic. It made my skin crawl in all the right ways and was just the right amount of dark while being chalk full of shock and awe from beginning to end. Joe Hill's writing was perfect, as was this book.

I absolutely loved the main character Vic, I found her admirable- even in her weaknesses- and incredibly relatable. Joe Hill created a beautiful character in Victoria Mcqueen, one that I will not soon forget. I feel sorry for the next book I pick up- it has A LOT to live up to.

I really, really loved this book. It was excellent and it is not too often that I am able to give a book a confident 5 stars.

Joe Hill: you impressed the hell out of me with NOS4A2 and gained a loyal reader, I can't wait to read more from you. Thanks for a hell of a good read. ( )
  Lwheet | Apr 8, 2016 |
BLOODY DISGUSTING bloody-disgusting.com
[BEST & WORST '13] Top 10 Horror Novels of the Year!

8. NOS4A2, by Joe Hill
(April 30; William Morrow)

Whimsical to a fault, Joe Hill’s newest novel is jam-packed with enough imagination for an entire series. His child-warping, Christmas-loving villain, Charlie Manx, is one of the best end-level bosses in all of fiction, evil and memorable enough to receive a mention from none other than Stephen King (Hill’s father, who name-dropped Manx in Doctor Sleep). This guy Hill is a world-builder working at the top of his game.

Joe Hillprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Rodriguez, GabrielIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Faughnan, LindaCopyeditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Hardy, LibertyCopyeditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kerner, Jamie LynnDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mulgrew, KateNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Schuck, MaryCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sugden, MaureenCopyeditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Die Todten reiten schnell. (For the dead travel fast.)
-- "Lenore," Gottfried Bürger
To my mom - here's a mean machine for the story queen.
Nurse Thornton dropped into the long-term-care ward a little before eight with a hot bag of blood for Charlie Manx.
What's good stays good no matter how much of a beating it takes.
She breathed deeply of the scent of decaying fiction, disintegrating history, and forgotten verse, and she observed for the first time that a room full of books smelled like dessert:  a sweet snack made of figs, vanilla, glue, and cleverness.
But everyone also lives in the world inside their own head. An inscape, a world of thought. In a world made of thought--in an inscape--every idea is a fact. Emotions are as real as gravity. Dreams are as powerful as history.
Christmas was almost three months in the rearview mirror, and there was something awful about Christmas music when it was nearly summer. It was like a clown in the rain, with his makeup running.
She thought of mothering, which was really another word for being present and caring what happened to someone.

Don't slow down

Victoria McQueen has an uncanny knack for finding things: a misplaced bracelet, a missing photograph, answers to unanswerable questions. When she rides her bicycle over the rickety old covered bridge in the woods near her house, she always emerges in the places she needs to be. Vic doesn't tell anyone about her unusual ability, because she knows no one will believe her. She has trouble understanding it herself.

Charles Talent Manx has a gift of his own. He likes to take children for rides in his 1938 Rolls-Royce Wraith with the vanity plate NOS4A2. In the Wraith, he and his innocent guests can slip out of the everyday world and onto hidden roads that lead to an astonishing playground of amusements he calls Christmasland. Mile by mile, the journey across the highway of Charlie's twisted imagination transforms his precious passengers, leaving them as terrifying and unstoppable as their benefactor.

And then comes the day when Vic goes looking for trouble . . . and finds her way, inevitably, to Charlie.

That was a lifetime ago. Now, the only kid ever to escape Charlie's unmitigated evil is all grown up and desperate to forget.

But Charlie Manx hasn't stopped thinking about the exceptional Victoria McQueen. On the road again, he won't slow down until he's taken his revenge. He's after something very special—something Vic can never replace.

As a life-and-death battle of wills builds—her magic pitted against his—Vic McQueen prepares to destroy Charlie once and for all . . . or die trying. . . .

NOS4A2 is
the perfect antidote for
Christmas craziness
(SENSpence)

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0062200577, Hardcover)

NOS4A2 is a spine-tingling novel of supernatural suspense from master of horror Joe Hill, the New York Times bestselling author of Heart-Shaped Box and Horns.

Victoria McQueen has a secret gift for finding things: a misplaced bracelet, a missing photograph, answers to unanswerable questions. On her Raleigh Tuff Burner bike, she makes her way to a rickety covered bridge that, within moments, takes her wherever she needs to go, whether it’s across Massachusetts or across the country.

Charles Talent Manx has a way with children. He likes to take them for rides in his 1938 Rolls-Royce Wraith with the NOS4A2 vanity plate. With his old car, he can slip right out of the everyday world, and onto the hidden roads that transport them to an astonishing – and terrifying – playground of amusements he calls “Christmasland.”

Then, one day, Vic goes looking for trouble—and finds Manx. That was a lifetime ago. Now Vic, the only kid to ever escape Manx’s unmitigated evil, is all grown up and desperate to forget. But Charlie Manx never stopped thinking about Victoria McQueen. He’s on the road again and he’s picked up a new passenger: Vic’s own son.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:23:36 -0400)

Victoria McQueen has a secret gift for finding things: a misplaced bracelet, a missing photography, answers to unanswerable questions. On her Raleigh Tuff Burner bike, she makes her way to a rickety covered bridge that, within moments, takes her wherever she needs to go, whether it's across Massachusetts or across the country. Charles Talent Manx has a way with children. He likes to take them for rides in his 1938 Rolls-Royce Wraith with the NOS4A2 vanity plate. With his old car, he can slip right out of the everyday world, and onto the hidden roads that transport them to an astonishing--and terrifying--playground of amusements he calls "Christmasland." Then, one day, Vic goes looking for trouble--and finds Manx. That was a lifetime ago. Now Vic, the only kid to ever escape Manx's unmitigated evil, is all grown up and desperate to forget. But Charlie Manx never stopped thinking about Victoria McQueen. He's on the road again and he's picked up a new passenger: Vic's own son.… (more)

Joe Hill is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,878,855 books! | Top bar: Always visible