NOS4A2: A Novel by Joe Hill

NOS4A2: A Novel (edition 2013)

by Joe Hill

Member:BeckyWalton
Title:NOS4A2: A Novel
Authors:Joe Hill
Info:William Morrow (2013), Hardcover, 704 pages
Tags:horror

NOS4A2 by Joe Hill

The Shining Girls by Lauren Beukes (rickyrickyricky)
    rickyrickyricky: Well: Time-traveling serial killer powered by unexplained forces. You'll see the comparison in many reviews. Shining Girls gets a more mixed reaction, and is unconventional in its structure and uncomfortable violence, but is worth looking into for fans. (The audiobook is fantastic, with a full cast of readers for every character.)… (more)
    It by Stephen King (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Malevolent entities that prey upon children are the driving force of these creepy, suspenseful horror stories. In both novels, only adults lucky enough to escape the villain's clutches in childhood are later able to battle the evil when it returns.… (more)

English (154)  French (1)  All languages (155)
Still another book I couldn't put down. Joe Hill definitely has his father's touch. (He is the son of Stephen King). ( )
  Electablue | Apr 20, 2016 |
This book was so, so fantastic. It made my skin crawl in all the right ways and was just the right amount of dark while being chalk full of shock and awe from beginning to end. Joe Hill's writing was perfect, as was this book.

I absolutely loved the main character Vic, I found her admirable- even in her weaknesses- and incredibly relatable. Joe Hill created a beautiful character in Victoria Mcqueen, one that I will not soon forget. I feel sorry for the next book I pick up- it has A LOT to live up to.

I really, really loved this book. It was excellent and it is not too often that I am able to give a book a confident 5 stars.

Joe Hill: you impressed the hell out of me with NOS4A2 and gained a loyal reader, I can't wait to read more from you. Thanks for a hell of a good read. ( )
  Lwheet | Apr 8, 2016 |
Joel Fuhrman
  jmail | Mar 21, 2016 |
I'm 26% done with NOS4A2: First book by this author and although it took me a little while to get in to now I am enjoying it. — Feb 10, 2015 03:29PM

Now it is February 15 and I am sad but happy at the same time.
Sad that this fantastic adventure came to an end but happy that the son is as good as his father. Yes I even felt a bit emotional at the end when I read the thank you words. I could just feel how proud he must have been to be able to write a book like this.

Okay in the beginning of this book I thought I was not going to like it. (minus the first chapter because that was excellent). To be fir I knew Joe Hill the son of wrote books but I did not know he also wrote horror so I began this book like a virgin. Not knowing what I got myself into. So when the story got a bit weird I thought what the hell? but it did not take me long to realize I was on a trip.

A fantastic trip and a bit like I've been with pappa Stephen with books like The Stand or It or Swan Song by Robert McCannon. Okay maybe not as many great characters but the characters that were in this book were strange but very human (although thinking about it they were perhaps very inhuman by what they were able to endure.

Normally while reading I make notes but this time I just plainly forgot. Now I just read.
When I finished it I was sad but I know he has written more books so I am going to read those too.

ETA: I've read that Joe Hill has 3 sons so I clearly hope one of them will step in their father and opa's footsteps.

Marlene-NL | Mar 12, 2016 |
Ok so I know I usually do not read and review books like this, but I since I read almost every other genre I decided to spread my wings a bit, and good thing I did.

For 700 pages it sure went by fast. But then it did have me at the edge of my seat wondering what would happen. What was it called now again, Horror Thriller Suspense? Well you get the idea. It will keep you interested.

The plot then. Vic can with her bike travel across a bridge and end up wherever she wants to. A bit how she does this is explained later, some have this power to do things. Some use it for good, some use it for bad. Vic grows up and falls in with the wrong crowd. Sex, drugs, life is shit. And then she meets Manx and is more messed up for life. Years later, he wants her son...

Oh yes, through out the book we meet Manx. A creepy guy who travels in a car and steals children to Christmasland where they get creepier than him. The mothers killed too by his psychotic side-kick. Manx is silently creepy, like if you just looked at him you'd freak out and run. Seriously, ugh. While like I said his side-kick is a psycho and shows it.

Poor Vic, she really thinks she is crazy, and who could blame her. Who would be able to bike across a bridge and end up miles away? But she has some strength left and I liked to see her fight for her revenge.

I liked the book. Enough creepy people (you do NOT want to go to Xmas land). Characters to root for (even when they f up their lives.) If you like suspense read it, horror read it, thriller read it. Or if you are like me and wants to try something new, give it a chance :) And get a bit freaked out. ( )
  blodeuedd | Mar 2, 2016 |
BLOODY DISGUSTING bloody-disgusting.com
[BEST & WORST '13] Top 10 Horror Novels of the Year!

8. NOS4A2, by Joe Hill
(April 30; William Morrow)

Whimsical to a fault, Joe Hill’s newest novel is jam-packed with enough imagination for an entire series. His child-warping, Christmas-loving villain, Charlie Manx, is one of the best end-level bosses in all of fiction, evil and memorable enough to receive a mention from none other than Stephen King (Hill’s father, who name-dropped Manx in Doctor Sleep). This guy Hill is a world-builder working at the top of his game.

Joe Hillprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Rodriguez, GabrielIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Faughnan, LindaCopyeditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Hardy, LibertyCopyeditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kerner, Jamie LynnDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mulgrew, KateNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Schuck, MaryCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sugden, MaureenCopyeditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Die Todten reiten schnell. (For the dead travel fast.)
-- "Lenore," Gottfried Bürger
To my mom - here's a mean machine for the story queen.
Nurse Thornton dropped into the long-term-care ward a little before eight with a hot bag of blood for Charlie Manx.
What's good stays good no matter how much of a beating it takes.
She breathed deeply of the scent of decaying fiction, disintegrating history, and forgotten verse, and she observed for the first time that a room full of books smelled like dessert:  a sweet snack made of figs, vanilla, glue, and cleverness.
But everyone also lives in the world inside their own head. An inscape, a world of thought. In a world made of thought--in an inscape--every idea is a fact. Emotions are as real as gravity. Dreams are as powerful as history.
Christmas was almost three months in the rearview mirror, and there was something awful about Christmas music when it was nearly summer. It was like a clown in the rain, with his makeup running.
She thought of mothering, which was really another word for being present and caring what happened to someone.

Don't slow down

Victoria McQueen has an uncanny knack for finding things: a misplaced bracelet, a missing photograph, answers to unanswerable questions. When she rides her bicycle over the rickety old covered bridge in the woods near her house, she always emerges in the places she needs to be. Vic doesn't tell anyone about her unusual ability, because she knows no one will believe her. She has trouble understanding it herself.

Charles Talent Manx has a gift of his own. He likes to take children for rides in his 1938 Rolls-Royce Wraith with the vanity plate NOS4A2. In the Wraith, he and his innocent guests can slip out of the everyday world and onto hidden roads that lead to an astonishing playground of amusements he calls Christmasland. Mile by mile, the journey across the highway of Charlie's twisted imagination transforms his precious passengers, leaving them as terrifying and unstoppable as their benefactor.

And then comes the day when Vic goes looking for trouble . . . and finds her way, inevitably, to Charlie.

That was a lifetime ago. Now, the only kid ever to escape Charlie's unmitigated evil is all grown up and desperate to forget.

But Charlie Manx hasn't stopped thinking about the exceptional Victoria McQueen. On the road again, he won't slow down until he's taken his revenge. He's after something very special—something Vic can never replace.

As a life-and-death battle of wills builds—her magic pitted against his—Vic McQueen prepares to destroy Charlie once and for all . . . or die trying. . . .

NOS4A2 is
the perfect antidote for
Christmas craziness
(SENSpence)

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0062200577, Hardcover)

NOS4A2 is a spine-tingling novel of supernatural suspense from master of horror Joe Hill, the New York Times bestselling author of Heart-Shaped Box and Horns.

Victoria McQueen has a secret gift for finding things: a misplaced bracelet, a missing photograph, answers to unanswerable questions. On her Raleigh Tuff Burner bike, she makes her way to a rickety covered bridge that, within moments, takes her wherever she needs to go, whether it’s across Massachusetts or across the country.

Charles Talent Manx has a way with children. He likes to take them for rides in his 1938 Rolls-Royce Wraith with the NOS4A2 vanity plate. With his old car, he can slip right out of the everyday world, and onto the hidden roads that transport them to an astonishing – and terrifying – playground of amusements he calls “Christmasland.”

Then, one day, Vic goes looking for trouble—and finds Manx. That was a lifetime ago. Now Vic, the only kid to ever escape Manx’s unmitigated evil, is all grown up and desperate to forget. But Charlie Manx never stopped thinking about Victoria McQueen. He’s on the road again and he’s picked up a new passenger: Vic’s own son.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:23:36 -0400)

Victoria McQueen has a secret gift for finding things: a misplaced bracelet, a missing photography, answers to unanswerable questions. On her Raleigh Tuff Burner bike, she makes her way to a rickety covered bridge that, within moments, takes her wherever she needs to go, whether it's across Massachusetts or across the country. Charles Talent Manx has a way with children. He likes to take them for rides in his 1938 Rolls-Royce Wraith with the NOS4A2 vanity plate. With his old car, he can slip right out of the everyday world, and onto the hidden roads that transport them to an astonishing--and terrifying--playground of amusements he calls "Christmasland." Then, one day, Vic goes looking for trouble--and finds Manx. That was a lifetime ago. Now Vic, the only kid to ever escape Manx's unmitigated evil, is all grown up and desperate to forget. But Charlie Manx never stopped thinking about Victoria McQueen. He's on the road again and he's picked up a new passenger: Vic's own son.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,251,943 books! | Top bar: Always visible