NOS4A2 by Joe Hill

Info:William Morrow (2013), Hardcover, 704 pages
Collections:Your library, ARC, Signed Copy
Rating:*****

NOS4A2: A Novel by Joe Hill

English (125)  French (1)  All languages (126)
Vic McQueen finds things: she rides her bike across the long-gone Shorter Way Bridge, and on the other side is whatever she's looking for, no matter where. One day she goes looking for trouble and finds Charlie Manx, serial killer and child abductor. The story spans several decades, following Vic's life from childhood through motherhood. There were parts that reminded me of Dean Koontz or Stephen King at their very best. Manx and his assistant Bing never fail to be terrifying, and since it's Hill you're not guaranteed anyone will survive. The gore was effective but but gratuitous. I liked a lot of the characters, especially Lou Carmody (perhaps because I know guys like that in real life). The only part I didn't really like was the ending. I understand why things turned out the way they did, but I'd still hoped for something different. That said, I recommend any of Hill's books to lovers of paranormal thrillers and horror. This was fantastic. ( )
1 vote melydia | May 9, 2015 |
Really good and creepy. IMO he writes a lot like his dad (Stephen King) and I often forgot I wasn't reading SK. His characters have a good amount of depth. I felt he tied the story up maybe even better than SK often does. Sorry to compare, Joe Hill would probably like to be his own person and judged on his own merits, but it's too easy to do. And yet, it does stand alone as a unique work of fiction and I thought it was very good. I thought it would be a good book to read at Christmas time (because it involved Christmasland, where every day is like Christmas), but no. It made Christmas seem a little creepy :). Maybe read it in June, if you like scary stories and don't mind bad language (which language is almost as abundant as SK's, but not quite.) There I go comparing again. ;) ( )
1 vote KR_Patterson | Apr 28, 2015 |
I am looking forward to this new Joe Hill book. Really enjoyed Heart Shaped Box and Horns as well as his short stories and comic series Locke and Key.

About half way through and it have picked up the pace. The other world themes are really getting me although some of the plot lines seem predictable (I think I know what will happen) but I'm willing to let Hill take me on the journey.
So far really enjoying.

I enjoyed this book but not as much as Horns or Heart Shaped Box. Not sure why? Maybe my belief in the characters was flawed I just felt they were able to do more than they should.

The concept if inspace and the abilities of the gifted (and the payment for them) was a great idea. I would love to explore them some more and find out how Manx became who he was etc.
All in all a good read just not a brilliant read. ( )
  Ben_Harnwell | Apr 26, 2015 |
I don't like horror movies and I think I can say little more for horror books. If this was a movie I would not watch it. Not to say I didn't enjoy it.... ( )
  LopiCake | Mar 25, 2015 |
This is fun! The first chapter does what a good book should - pulls the reader right in! Then, it's off to the races! It's Victoria (the Brat) vs. Charlie Manx, Bing (the Gasmask Man), and a 1938 Rolls Royce Wraith. A stake? A boy's soul, and a trip to Christmasland! (it's not what you think!) The mom, Victoria, is a great character and she goes super hard core like Ripley in "Aliens"! I also really like Lou, and really sympathized with him. The book has a really good ending, and I highly suggest you read the end section titled "A Note On The Type"! I did think the librarian was a wasted character, and believe that if she wasn't in the book, it wouldn't matter, and it might make the story even tighter! Still, this is a good 'un - but I would read it around Christmas! ( )
1 vote Stahl-Ricco | Mar 25, 2015 |
BLOODY DISGUSTING bloody-disgusting.com
[BEST & WORST '13] Top 10 Horror Novels of the Year!

8. NOS4A2, by Joe Hill
(April 30; William Morrow)

Whimsical to a fault, Joe Hill’s newest novel is jam-packed with enough imagination for an entire series. His child-warping, Christmas-loving villain, Charlie Manx, is one of the best end-level bosses in all of fiction, evil and memorable enough to receive a mention from none other than Stephen King (Hill’s father, who name-dropped Manx in Doctor Sleep). This guy Hill is a world-builder working at the top of his game.

Joe Hillprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Rodriguez, GabrielIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Faughnan, LindaCopyeditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Hardy, LibertyCopyeditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kerner, Jamie LynnDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mulgrew, KateNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Schuck, MaryCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sugden, MaureenCopyeditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Die Todten reiten schnell. (For the dead travel fast.)
-- "Lenore," Gottfried Bürger
To my mom - here's a mean machine for the story queen.
Nurse Thornton dropped into the long-term-care ward a little before eight with a hot bag of blood for Charlie Manx.
What's good stays good no matter how much of a beating it takes.
She breathed deeply of the scent of decaying fiction, disintegrating history, and forgotten verse, and she observed for the first time that a room full of books smelled like dessert:  a sweet snack made of figs, vanilla, glue, and cleverness.
But everyone also lives in the world inside their own head. An inscape, a world of thought. In a world made of thought--in an inscape--every idea is a fact. Emotions are as real as gravity. Dreams are as powerful as history.
Christmas was almost three months in the rearview mirror, and there was something awful about Christmas music when it was nearly summer. It was like a clown in the rain, with his makeup running.
She thought of mothering, which was really another word for being present and caring what happened to someone.

Don't slow down

Victoria McQueen has an uncanny knack for finding things: a misplaced bracelet, a missing photograph, answers to unanswerable questions. When she rides her bicycle over the rickety old covered bridge in the woods near her house, she always emerges in the places she needs to be. Vic doesn't tell anyone about her unusual ability, because she knows no one will believe her. She has trouble understanding it herself.

Charles Talent Manx has a gift of his own. He likes to take children for rides in his 1938 Rolls-Royce Wraith with the vanity plate NOS4A2. In the Wraith, he and his innocent guests can slip out of the everyday world and onto hidden roads that lead to an astonishing playground of amusements he calls Christmasland. Mile by mile, the journey across the highway of Charlie's twisted imagination transforms his precious passengers, leaving them as terrifying and unstoppable as their benefactor.

And then comes the day when Vic goes looking for trouble . . . and finds her way, inevitably, to Charlie.

That was a lifetime ago. Now, the only kid ever to escape Charlie's unmitigated evil is all grown up and desperate to forget.

But Charlie Manx hasn't stopped thinking about the exceptional Victoria McQueen. On the road again, he won't slow down until he's taken his revenge. He's after something very special—something Vic can never replace.

As a life-and-death battle of wills builds—her magic pitted against his—Vic McQueen prepares to destroy Charlie once and for all . . . or die trying. . . .

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0062200577, Hardcover)

NOS4A2 is a spine-tingling novel of supernatural suspense from master of horror Joe Hill, the New York Times bestselling author of Heart-Shaped Box and Horns.

Victoria McQueen has a secret gift for finding things: a misplaced bracelet, a missing photograph, answers to unanswerable questions. On her Raleigh Tuff Burner bike, she makes her way to a rickety covered bridge that, within moments, takes her wherever she needs to go, whether it’s across Massachusetts or across the country.

Charles Talent Manx has a way with children. He likes to take them for rides in his 1938 Rolls-Royce Wraith with the NOS4A2 vanity plate. With his old car, he can slip right out of the everyday world, and onto the hidden roads that transport them to an astonishing – and terrifying – playground of amusements he calls “Christmasland.”

Then, one day, Vic goes looking for trouble—and finds Manx. That was a lifetime ago. Now Vic, the only kid to ever escape Manx’s unmitigated evil, is all grown up and desperate to forget. But Charlie Manx never stopped thinking about Victoria McQueen. He’s on the road again and he’s picked up a new passenger: Vic’s own son.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:01:03 -0400)

Victoria McQueen has a secret gift for finding things: a misplaced bracelet, a missing photography, answers to unanswerable questions. On her Raleigh Tuff Burner bike, she makes her way to a rickety covered bridge that, within moments, takes her wherever she needs to go, whether it's across Massachusetts or across the country. Charles Talent Manx has a way with children. He likes to take them for rides in his 1938 Rolls-Royce Wraith with the NOS4A2 vanity plate. With his old car, he can slip right out of the everyday world, and onto the hidden roads that transport them to an astonishing--and terrifying--playground of amusements he calls "Christmasland." Then, one day, Vic goes looking for trouble--and finds Manx. That was a lifetime ago. Now Vic, the only kid to ever escape Manx's unmitigated evil, is all grown up and desperate to forget. But Charlie Manx never stopped thinking about Victoria McQueen. He's on the road again and he's picked up a new passenger: Vic's own son.… (more)

Joe Hill is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

13 wanted6 pay3 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,178,901 books! | Top bar: Always visible