NOS4A2 by Joe Hill

Info:William Morrow (2013), Hardcover, 704 pages
Collections:Your library, ARC, Signed Copy
Rating:*****

NOS4A2 by Joe Hill

English (96)  French (1)  All languages (97)
Second best "Spunky heroine battles evil time travelling serial killer" book of the summer. Joe Hill has inherited the gasbag in need of an editor gene from his father. An entertaining book nonetheless. ( )
  HenryKrinkle | Jul 23, 2014 |
3.5 stars

When Vic McQueen was little, her bike would take her across a bridge to get places to find lost things. Charlie Manx has a place he calls “Christmasland” where he takes kids he kidnaps. Vic is able to escape from Christmasland, but has all kinds of issues as she grows up. As an adult, she still can't seem to get away from Charlie Manx and Christmasland.

I liked this. Although I thought the narrator was quite good, it was very long, so I did lose focus at times, which meant I missed things. I do wonder if I would have rated it slightly higher had I read it in print or ebook. ( )
  LibraryCin | Jul 21, 2014 |
Outstanding read! Clearly his best work to date, and clearly has the same writing gene as his dad. In fact, this book reminded me A LOT of early Stephen King!

Great characters, great story, a real page-turner all the way to the end. ( )
  ssimon2000 | Jul 17, 2014 |
I still can't remember if I ever finished Joe Hill's debut, Heart-Shaped Box, and it bothered me as I was reading this one. I guess it doesn't really matter whether I finished it or not; either way, this marks the second time that a Hill book hasn't exactly enthralled me. Victoria McQueen, or Vic, is our main character. She's a child when we meet her, and she's known as the Brat for a small plot requirement that will come up shortly, and then we can forget all about that nickname and the insistence on using it in the beginning of the book. She finds a supernatural bridge that she can cross on her bicycle which will let her out on the other side in just the right place to locate things she's looking for.

At the same time, we're introduced to the villain of the story, Charlie Manx. When we first meet him, it seems his evil-doing days are past him since he's in a nursing home in a coma. But shortly events transpire that leave him up and at 'em, kidnapping children and taking them to Christmasland. Vic tangles with him once as a child, an encounter that leaves her damaged in multiple ways, and then the big showdown happens when she's an adult and her own child is at stake.

Pretty standard horror stuff, really. And that's fine; you take the raw material of a Big Bad, a heroine that no one believes (and who perhaps doesn't believe herself), and you create around that center. Manx himself is interesting - he's a sort of vampire, but not the type you'd expect from the title. But I was left with questions about the how and why of him getting his start, and his end was oddly anticlimactic. Vic was a hard character to root for. So many of the formative parts of her life take place offscreen, so to speak, that her defining characteristics seem to be toughness and ... I don't even know what else, and that just illustrates the problem. Without getting into spoilers, I just couldn't believe what happened to a couple of characters at the end - it seemed to be more in service of plot and reader feeling than growing organically from events.

Also, when the first reference to a Stephen King work arrived (a mention of "doors into Mid-World"), I was somewhat amused. When the second one happened, I rolled my eyes. At the third one, I'd had it. Actually, for a moment, I'd wondered if either Stephen King was ghost-writing this, or if the need to be self-(or father-)referential was genetic. These are not the things I want to be thinking about while reading.

Recommended for: people who already dislike Christmas, genre fans who prefer plot to character

Quote: "She breathed deeply of the scent of decaying fiction, disintegrating history, and forgotten verse, and she observed for the first time that a room full of books smelled like dessert: a sweet snack made of figs, vanilla, glue, and cleverness." ( )
  ursula | Jul 14, 2014 |
Keeps you at the edge of your seat up until the very end! By far my favorite book from Hill yet. The characters are solidly built and as a reader you will find a special place in your heart for each and everyone of them. By far one of the scariest villains I've come across in a long time. Hill is falling right into his father's footsteps, and I mean that in the best way possible! ( )
  beckylynn | Jul 13, 2014 |
BLOODY DISGUSTING bloody-disgusting.com
[BEST & WORST '13] Top 10 Horror Novels of the Year!

8. NOS4A2, by Joe Hill
(April 30; William Morrow)

Whimsical to a fault, Joe Hill’s newest novel is jam-packed with enough imagination for an entire series. His child-warping, Christmas-loving villain, Charlie Manx, is one of the best end-level bosses in all of fiction, evil and memorable enough to receive a mention from none other than Stephen King (Hill’s father, who name-dropped Manx in Doctor Sleep). This guy Hill is a world-builder working at the top of his game.

Joe Hillprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Rodriguez, GabrielIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Faughnan, LindaCopyeditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Hardy, LibertyCopyeditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kerner, Jamie LynnDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mulgrew, KateNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Schuck, MaryCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sugden, MaureenCopyeditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Die Todten reiten schnell. (For the dead travel fast.)
-- "Lenore," Gottfried Bürger
To my mom - here's a mean machine for the story queen.
Nurse Thornton dropped into the long-term-care ward a little before eight with a hot bag of blood for Charlie Manx.

Don't slow down

Victoria McQueen has an uncanny knack for finding things: a misplaced bracelet, a missing photograph, answers to unanswerable questions. When she rides her bicycle over the rickety old covered bridge in the woods near her house, she always emerges in the places she needs to be. Vic doesn't tell anyone about her unusual ability, because she knows no one will believe her. She has trouble understanding it herself.

Charles Talent Manx has a gift of his own. He likes to take children for rides in his 1938 Rolls-Royce Wraith with the vanity plate NOS4A2. In the Wraith, he and his innocent guests can slip out of the everyday world and onto hidden roads that lead to an astonishing playground of amusements he calls Christmasland. Mile by mile, the journey across the highway of Charlie's twisted imagination transforms his precious passengers, leaving them as terrifying and unstoppable as their benefactor.

And then comes the day when Vic goes looking for trouble . . . and finds her way, inevitably, to Charlie.

That was a lifetime ago. Now, the only kid ever to escape Charlie's unmitigated evil is all grown up and desperate to forget.

But Charlie Manx hasn't stopped thinking about the exceptional Victoria McQueen. On the road again, he won't slow down until he's taken his revenge. He's after something very special—something Vic can never replace.

As a life-and-death battle of wills builds—her magic pitted against his—Vic McQueen prepares to destroy Charlie once and for all . . . or die trying. . . .

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0062200577, Hardcover)

NOS4A2 is a spine-tingling novel of supernatural suspense from master of horror Joe Hill, the New York Times bestselling author of Heart-Shaped Box and Horns.

Victoria McQueen has a secret gift for finding things: a misplaced bracelet, a missing photograph, answers to unanswerable questions. On her Raleigh Tuff Burner bike, she makes her way to a rickety covered bridge that, within moments, takes her wherever she needs to go, whether it’s across Massachusetts or across the country.

Charles Talent Manx has a way with children. He likes to take them for rides in his 1938 Rolls-Royce Wraith with the NOS4A2 vanity plate. With his old car, he can slip right out of the everyday world, and onto the hidden roads that transport them to an astonishing – and terrifying – playground of amusements he calls “Christmasland.”

Then, one day, Vic goes looking for trouble—and finds Manx. That was a lifetime ago. Now Vic, the only kid to ever escape Manx’s unmitigated evil, is all grown up and desperate to forget. But Charlie Manx never stopped thinking about Victoria McQueen. He’s on the road again and he’s picked up a new passenger: Vic’s own son.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:01:03 -0400)

Victoria McQueen has a secret gift for finding things: a misplaced bracelet, a missing photography, answers to unanswerable questions. On her Raleigh Tuff Burner bike, she makes her way to a rickety covered bridge that, within moments, takes her wherever she needs to go, whether it's across Massachusetts or across the country. Charles Talent Manx has a way with children. He likes to take them for rides in his 1938 Rolls-Royce Wraith with the NOS4A2 vanity plate. With his old car, he can slip right out of the everyday world, and onto the hidden roads that transport them to an astonishing--and terrifying--playground of amusements he calls "Christmasland." Then, one day, Vic goes looking for trouble--and finds Manx. That was a lifetime ago. Now Vic, the only kid to ever escape Manx's unmitigated evil, is all grown up and desperate to forget. But Charlie Manx never stopped thinking about Victoria McQueen. He's on the road again and he's picked up a new passenger: Vic's own son.… (more)

Joe Hill is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

13 wanted5 pay3 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,690,749 books! | Top bar: Always visible