NOS4A2 by Joe Hill

Info:William Morrow (2013), Hardcover, 704 pages
Collections:Your library, ARC, Signed Copy
Rating:*****

NOS4A2 by Joe Hill

2013 (33) 2014 (7) ARC (9) audio (5) audiobook (11) Christmas (23) currently-reading (8) ebook (15) F (5) fantasy (17) fiction (94) hardcover (5) horror (187) Joe Hill (8) Kindle (16) library (5) murder (5) novel (16) own (9) paranormal (5) read (12) read in 2013 (22) serial killer (15) signed (13) supernatural (25) suspense (17) thriller (21) to-read (73) unread (13) vampires (33)

English (82)  French (1)  All languages (83)
If you are into that sort of thing. Me not so much. ( )
  booklovers2 | Apr 8, 2014 |
As a child, Victoria McQueen discovered that she had a unique gift – she could open the door between reality and fantasy. Using her bicycle, she could conjure up a covered bridge that would take her to wherever she needed to go. If something had gone missing, Vic would race off on her bike, cross the shorter way bridge and locate whatever had been misplaced.

Vic would eventually learn that she wasn't alone in her ability to alter reality to her benefit. Others exist with this special gift and not all of them use it for admirable purposes. Take Charlie Manx for example. Just as Vic uses her bike, Charlie uses his vintage 1938 Rolls Royce to travel to Christmasland. Manx’s Christmasland is a world in which happiness is against the law, that every morning is Christmas morning and every night is Christmas Eve. Manx would abduct children that he believed were mistreated by their parents and transport them to his magical wonderland keeping them safe from harm.

However, everything changed when both Vic and Manx finally crossed paths. When Vic was twelve years old, she found her way to Manx’s utopia only to discover that it’s not the paradise that Manx would have you believe. Following a daring escape, Vic leads Manx to capture and following his death many years later, Vic believes that she can finally rest. That is until the phone calls begin..

I enjoyed Hill's last full novel, Horns and am a massive fan of his Locke & Key series so I had high hopes for this one. Fortunately for me, the hype surrounding NOS4A2 was well deserved. Hill crafted not only an interesting story but filled it with characters that will probably stick with me for a while. I'll have to admit that when it was over, I was disappointed I wouldn't get to hang out with Vic MacQueen and her husband, Lou.

The tag team of Manx and Bing was a formidable one. I'll go on record as saying the most interesting bad guys are always the ones that view their work as admirable and righteous. Sure, you can give me a villain who loves cracking skulls and conquering lands but give me someone who thinks child abduction is in the kid's best interest and you're going to have me hooked. But as interesting as Manx is, it's his servant Bing that steals the show. This guy is one creepy dude and throughout NOS4A2, he does some pretty reprehensible things. Bing's actions had my skin crawling and I couldn't wait to see him get what he deserved.

I really didn't want to mention his father in this review but it was inevitable. It's also hard to ignore when Hill has tied his work in with his dad's by mentioning a few key locations and events that occurred within the Stephen King universe. I won't spoil them here but if you're a King fan, you'll enjoy those "a-ha" moments the same way I did.

Oh, and there's a Firefly reference. Browncoats forever!

Cross Posted @ Every Read Thing ( )
1 vote branimal | Apr 1, 2014 |
I've given Joe Hill five-star reviews for his novels before--Horns, 20th Century Ghosts and Heart-Shaped Box--but I've always thought of him as, though great, a lesser talent than his father. No more. With NOS4A2, Joe has outdone King' s works--except for the '73-'83 stuff. This tale gets under your skin and brings forth goose bumps, causing revulsion and shock to take over your mind. It also creates believable characters so real, yet better than real, that they could walk out of the pages. ( )
  ARBraun7 | Apr 1, 2014 |
Listened for Fun (Library Book)
Overall Rating: 4.50
Story Rating: 4.75
Character Rating: 4.25

Audio Rating: 4.50 (not part of the overall rating)

First Thought when Finished: NOS4R2 by Joe Hill was Freaking Amazing!

Story Thoughts: Tip #1 while listening to NOS4R2- DO NOT read/listen right before bed time or you will have crazy dreams. Tip #2 while listening to NOS4R2- Be prepared to be shocked at any given time because this is one crazy ride. I won't say that NOS4R2 was "can't sleep" scary, instead I think it was more of a slow and steady romp through your thoughts that leaves you thinking and trembling at the same time. This was an amazing thriller that had a touch of the horrific.

Character Thoughts: Vic and Charlie, Charlie and Vic--these two are so interwoven that if either wasn't written to the tee, the story would have failed. Both Vic and Charlie deliver in their own unique way. I loved that the story was very character driven. Neither character being just one dimensional but so multi-layered that you weren't sure what you were going to learn next!

Audio Thoughts:

Narrated By Kate Mulgrew / Length: 19 hrs and 41 mins

I have to admit I get a little squeamish when books over 12 hours only have one narrator but I needn't fret, Kate pulled it off! She did a brilliant job with the pacing, story,and characters.

Final Thoughts:Joe Hill has a new fan! ( )
1 vote thehistorychic | Mar 22, 2014 |
Entertaining enough, but I think I preferred both 'Heart-Shaped Box' and 'Horns' more.

It drags at points, but overall it's a pretty fun read and yet another take on the vampire genre. ( )
1 vote steadfastreader | Mar 18, 2014 |
BLOODY DISGUSTING bloody-disgusting.com
[BEST & WORST '13] Top 10 Horror Novels of the Year!

8. NOS4A2, by Joe Hill
(April 30; William Morrow)

Whimsical to a fault, Joe Hill’s newest novel is jam-packed with enough imagination for an entire series. His child-warping, Christmas-loving villain, Charlie Manx, is one of the best end-level bosses in all of fiction, evil and memorable enough to receive a mention from none other than Stephen King (Hill’s father, who name-dropped Manx in Doctor Sleep). This guy Hill is a world-builder working at the top of his game.

Die Todten reiten schnell. (For the dead travel fast.)  - "Lenore," Gottfried Bürger
To my mom - here's a mean machine for the story queen.
Nurse Thornton dropped into the long-term-care ward a little before eight with a hot bag of blood for Charlie Manx.

Don't slow down

Victoria McQueen has an uncanny knack for finding things: a misplaced bracelet, a missing photograph, answers to unanswerable questions. When she rides her bicycle over the rickety old covered bridge in the woods near her house, she always emerges in the places she needs to be. Vic doesn't tell anyone about her unusual ability, because she knows no one will believe her. She has trouble understanding it herself.

Charles Talent Manx has a gift of his own. He likes to take children for rides in his 1938 Rolls-Royce Wraith with the vanity plate NOS4A2. In the Wraith, he and his innocent guests can slip out of the everyday world and onto hidden roads that lead to an astonishing playground of amusements he calls Christmasland. Mile by mile, the journey across the highway of Charlie's twisted imagination transforms his precious passengers, leaving them as terrifying and unstoppable as their benefactor.

And then comes the day when Vic goes looking for trouble . . . and finds her way, inevitably, to Charlie.

That was a lifetime ago. Now, the only kid ever to escape Charlie's unmitigated evil is all grown up and desperate to forget.

But Charlie Manx hasn't stopped thinking about the exceptional Victoria McQueen. On the road again, he won't slow down until he's taken his revenge. He's after something very special—something Vic can never replace.

As a life-and-death battle of wills builds—her magic pitted against his—Vic McQueen prepares to destroy Charlie once and for all . . . or die trying. . . .

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0062200577, Hardcover)

NOS4A2 is a spine-tingling novel of supernatural suspense from master of horror Joe Hill, the New York Times bestselling author of Heart-Shaped Box and Horns.

Victoria McQueen has a secret gift for finding things: a misplaced bracelet, a missing photograph, answers to unanswerable questions. On her Raleigh Tuff Burner bike, she makes her way to a rickety covered bridge that, within moments, takes her wherever she needs to go, whether it’s across Massachusetts or across the country.

Charles Talent Manx has a way with children. He likes to take them for rides in his 1938 Rolls-Royce Wraith with the NOS4A2 vanity plate. With his old car, he can slip right out of the everyday world, and onto the hidden roads that transport them to an astonishing – and terrifying – playground of amusements he calls “Christmasland.”

Then, one day, Vic goes looking for trouble—and finds Manx. That was a lifetime ago. Now Vic, the only kid to ever escape Manx’s unmitigated evil, is all grown up and desperate to forget. But Charlie Manx never stopped thinking about Victoria McQueen. He’s on the road again and he’s picked up a new passenger: Vic’s own son.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:01:03 -0400)

Victoria McQueen has a secret gift for finding things: a misplaced bracelet, a missing photography, answers to unanswerable questions. On her Raleigh Tuff Burner bike, she makes her way to a rickety covered bridge that, within moments, takes her wherever she needs to go, whether it's across Massachusetts or across the country. Charles Talent Manx has a way with children. He likes to take them for rides in his 1938 Rolls-Royce Wraith with the NOS4A2 vanity plate. With his old car, he can slip right out of the everyday world, and onto the hidden roads that transport them to an astonishing--and terrifying--playground of amusements he calls "Christmasland." Then, one day, Vic goes looking for trouble--and finds Manx. That was a lifetime ago. Now Vic, the only kid to ever escape Manx's unmitigated evil, is all grown up and desperate to forget. But Charlie Manx never stopped thinking about Victoria McQueen. He's on the road again and he's picked up a new passenger: Vic's own son.… (more)

Joe Hill is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,473,213 books! | Top bar: Always visible