NOS4A2 by Joe Hill

Info:William Morrow (2013), Hardcover, 704 pages
Collections:ARC, Your library, Signed Copy
Rating:*****

NOS4A2: A Novel by Joe Hill

Recently added bymainrun, nicholas, justablondemoment, private library, MaraBlaise, cpcode, DianaCoats

English (116)  French (1)  All languages (117)
I liked the book, but I was a bit disappointed with it, mostly because I thought it would be better than it was and also that the book didn't have any characters that I actually liked very much. ( )
  MaraBlaise | Dec 11, 2014 |
Oh my gosh. I LOVED this book!!!
I've never read any of Joe Hill's work before, but I've read a ton of his Dad's stuff, as well as his Mom's, and I got the idea he would probably write in a similar fashion, which he does. However, it's not like you couldn't tell them apart. He's definitely his own person... his own writer. He has his own distinguishing characteristics. But there are similarities, which is awesome.

I found this story to be extremely intense--the entire concept, the fact that it went from basically the beginning of Vic's life to near middle age... I appreciate the way Hill developed not only his main character, but his supporting characters as well. He does a great job of painting the picture, as well, i.e. I could visualize places based upon his descriptions, but he didn't go overboard. I was really pleased with the realistic touches he gave to little things... an example: Maggie Leah has a koi fish in a fish tank, and rather than little rocks in the bottom of the tank, she has scrabble tiles. I LOVED that detail--I could totally picture this fish tank in my mind! It was perfect!

So many great things about this story, about Hill's writing, I couldn't put this book down! I'm hooked--I'll be reading his other works and continuing to watch for more from him!!! ( )
  trayceetee | Nov 15, 2014 |
I don't usually read horror. Usually I just don't find it frightening; either it just falls flat or it's so over the top it makes me roll my eyes. But Joe Hill's earlier novel, Heart-Shaped Box, was well written and eerie enough for me to enjoy it. So I was ready to pick up his new novel and see if he was still someone worth reading.

NOS4A2 reads like early Stephen King, which is no bad thing at all. There's an evil car, children who see more than their parents and pop cultural references aplenty. Manx is an old man in a vintage Rolls Royce, who kidnaps children in order to bring them to Christmasland, his own perfect amusement park and very creepy place. Vic is the only child of an unhappily married couple, with a talent for finding lost objects. How her path intersects with the murderous Manx and what happens is very interesting and well plotted. Vic is a wonderfully real character, as are those who love her, from a junkie former librarian to an obese, Comic Con attending high school drop-out. Hill's characters are not the great and the beautiful, but people living on the fringes of society. He has a wonderful touch with his outcasts, not downplaying their faults and recognizing their value.

As for the creep factor, while I wasn't frightened, I was terribly interested in what happened next. That's not a bad quality in a book, whatever the genre. And I'm left with absolutely no desire to hear any Christmas carols anytime soon. ( )
2 vote RidgewayGirl | Nov 4, 2014 |
A horror novel about a guy in an antique Rolls Royce who kidnaps children, takes them to a real-but-imaginary land where it's always Christmas, and sucks their souls out of them. Also, about a girl who can find anything by riding her bike across a covered bridge, even after that bridge no longer exists. Eventually, of course, the two of them end up in a great big showdown, although the girl has to grow up first.

Unfortunately, I found this one a little disappointing. It's not bad, really. It's perfectly readable, in a not-terribly-demanding sort of way. It's got some cool ideas, a couple of characters I quite liked, and a decent ending. But overall, it feels like too little story stretched over too many pages. Plus, the bad guys are a little too cartoony, and generally much better in concept than in execution. And I never found the horror elements particularly scary. I often found myself thinking, "OK, that's a potentially creepy idea," but I never actually felt creeped out.

I'm beginning to think I like Joe Hill better as a writer of short stories and comics than of novels, even if I did quite enjoy Heart-Shaped Box. ( )
1 vote bragan | Oct 27, 2014 |
Joe Hill is really good at writing disturbing, misogynist villains. I find them difficult to read, but very real. His world-building is excellent and his characters always seem like real people.

In NOS4R2 I didn't like the main character for much of the book. Mainly, I didn't like her because of that cringing feeling of recognition. I too, was angry, bitter and acting out in ways that only harmed myself. If I found her unlikeable, it's only because I find my past self fairly unlikeable too. But it was nice to read a book where the female character is both a raging fuck up and a heroine. You don't get that so often. ( )
  Violetthedwarf | Oct 23, 2014 |
BLOODY DISGUSTING bloody-disgusting.com
[BEST & WORST '13] Top 10 Horror Novels of the Year!

8. NOS4A2, by Joe Hill
(April 30; William Morrow)

Whimsical to a fault, Joe Hill’s newest novel is jam-packed with enough imagination for an entire series. His child-warping, Christmas-loving villain, Charlie Manx, is one of the best end-level bosses in all of fiction, evil and memorable enough to receive a mention from none other than Stephen King (Hill’s father, who name-dropped Manx in Doctor Sleep). This guy Hill is a world-builder working at the top of his game.

Joe Hillprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Rodriguez, GabrielIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Faughnan, LindaCopyeditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Hardy, LibertyCopyeditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kerner, Jamie LynnDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mulgrew, KateNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Schuck, MaryCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sugden, MaureenCopyeditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Die Todten reiten schnell. (For the dead travel fast.)
-- "Lenore," Gottfried Bürger
To my mom - here's a mean machine for the story queen.
Nurse Thornton dropped into the long-term-care ward a little before eight with a hot bag of blood for Charlie Manx.
What's good stays good no matter how much of a beating it takes.
She breathed deeply of the scent of decaying fiction, disintegrating history, and forgotten verse, and she observed for the first time that a room full of books smelled like dessert:  a sweet snack made of figs, vanilla, glue, and cleverness.
But everyone also lives in the world inside their own head. An inscape, a world of thought. In a world made of thought--in an inscape--every idea is a fact. Emotions are as real as gravity. Dreams are as powerful as history.
Christmas was almost three months in the rearview mirror, and there was something awful about Christmas music when it was nearly summer. It was like a clown in the rain, with his makeup running.
She thought of mothering, which was really another word for being present and caring what happened to someone.

Don't slow down

Victoria McQueen has an uncanny knack for finding things: a misplaced bracelet, a missing photograph, answers to unanswerable questions. When she rides her bicycle over the rickety old covered bridge in the woods near her house, she always emerges in the places she needs to be. Vic doesn't tell anyone about her unusual ability, because she knows no one will believe her. She has trouble understanding it herself.

Charles Talent Manx has a gift of his own. He likes to take children for rides in his 1938 Rolls-Royce Wraith with the vanity plate NOS4A2. In the Wraith, he and his innocent guests can slip out of the everyday world and onto hidden roads that lead to an astonishing playground of amusements he calls Christmasland. Mile by mile, the journey across the highway of Charlie's twisted imagination transforms his precious passengers, leaving them as terrifying and unstoppable as their benefactor.

And then comes the day when Vic goes looking for trouble . . . and finds her way, inevitably, to Charlie.

That was a lifetime ago. Now, the only kid ever to escape Charlie's unmitigated evil is all grown up and desperate to forget.

But Charlie Manx hasn't stopped thinking about the exceptional Victoria McQueen. On the road again, he won't slow down until he's taken his revenge. He's after something very special—something Vic can never replace.

As a life-and-death battle of wills builds—her magic pitted against his—Vic McQueen prepares to destroy Charlie once and for all . . . or die trying. . . .

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0062200577, Hardcover)

NOS4A2 is a spine-tingling novel of supernatural suspense from master of horror Joe Hill, the New York Times bestselling author of Heart-Shaped Box and Horns.

Victoria McQueen has a secret gift for finding things: a misplaced bracelet, a missing photograph, answers to unanswerable questions. On her Raleigh Tuff Burner bike, she makes her way to a rickety covered bridge that, within moments, takes her wherever she needs to go, whether it’s across Massachusetts or across the country.

Charles Talent Manx has a way with children. He likes to take them for rides in his 1938 Rolls-Royce Wraith with the NOS4A2 vanity plate. With his old car, he can slip right out of the everyday world, and onto the hidden roads that transport them to an astonishing – and terrifying – playground of amusements he calls “Christmasland.”

Then, one day, Vic goes looking for trouble—and finds Manx. That was a lifetime ago. Now Vic, the only kid to ever escape Manx’s unmitigated evil, is all grown up and desperate to forget. But Charlie Manx never stopped thinking about Victoria McQueen. He’s on the road again and he’s picked up a new passenger: Vic’s own son.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:01:03 -0400)

Victoria McQueen has a secret gift for finding things: a misplaced bracelet, a missing photography, answers to unanswerable questions. On her Raleigh Tuff Burner bike, she makes her way to a rickety covered bridge that, within moments, takes her wherever she needs to go, whether it's across Massachusetts or across the country. Charles Talent Manx has a way with children. He likes to take them for rides in his 1938 Rolls-Royce Wraith with the NOS4A2 vanity plate. With his old car, he can slip right out of the everyday world, and onto the hidden roads that transport them to an astonishing--and terrifying--playground of amusements he calls "Christmasland." Then, one day, Vic goes looking for trouble--and finds Manx. That was a lifetime ago. Now Vic, the only kid to ever escape Manx's unmitigated evil, is all grown up and desperate to forget. But Charlie Manx never stopped thinking about Victoria McQueen. He's on the road again and he's picked up a new passenger: Vic's own son.… (more)

Joe Hill is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

13 wanted5 pay3 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,320,982 books! | Top bar: Always visible