NOS4A2 by Joe Hill

Info:William Morrow (2013), Hardcover, 704 pages
Collections:Your library, ARC, Signed Copy
Rating:*****

NOS4A2 by Joe Hill

English (102)  French (1)  All languages (103)
Even though I liked the story, I was a little disappointed with it. What I liked: new take on a vampire novel, strong female lead, a few twists. What I didn't like: drawn out/overdone dialogue (there were several scenes where I was thinking "get to the point already"), the book seemed a little longer than necessary, the narrator's voice for NOS4A2. ( )
  bohemiangirl35 | Sep 13, 2014 |
Ok so I am so glad I gave Joe Hill another chance. For some reason I didn't like his earlier books. Guess what? I'm going to reread them just because I liked this book so danged much. The boy has definately came into his own.

Creepy book that I couldn't put down. Vic was the perfect heroine. She has her flaws but I think that made her even stronger. Charles Manx creeped me out..Perfect, perfect, perfect!! ( )
  bookqueenshelby | Sep 9, 2014 |
Fantastic story worth 4-1/2 stars. Just one thing in the end bugged me and it had to do with scars after a medical procedure. For that particular procedure scarring would have been minimal and not in that location. I just can't believe that someone with some medical knowledge didn't read this and catch that glaring error prior to publication. ( )
  jules72653 | Aug 30, 2014 |
My review is gone, it was here... now it's not. ( )
  yougotamber | Aug 22, 2014 |
What a wonderful little gem of a horror this was! It makes me almost want to skip Christmas for fear of what the kids may unwrap under the tree. I was "hooked" right away by the imagery and the action of the story. This is the first Joe Hill story I have read, but I plan on reading more for sure.
Vic McQueen is an amazing girl/woman who can find lost objects with help from an old covered bridge. This bridge can go anywhere and is a path between what is lost and what is found. Charles Manx is a man who "saves" children from the horrors of life and offers them Christmasland. A place where happiness is key and cocoa will cure everything. With the chariot of an old Rolls-Royce Manx takes his chosen children and lulls them into a state of happiness. With help from rhyming Bing Partridge and his everlasting Gingerbread Gas, the children don't notice the price they pay for a lifetime of never growing old, free rides on the Ferris wheel or their humanity.
This book will keep you on the seat of your bike for a ride of a lifetime. Just don't forget to hold on! ( )
  selinalynn69 | Aug 19, 2014 |
BLOODY DISGUSTING bloody-disgusting.com
[BEST & WORST '13] Top 10 Horror Novels of the Year!

8. NOS4A2, by Joe Hill
(April 30; William Morrow)

Whimsical to a fault, Joe Hill’s newest novel is jam-packed with enough imagination for an entire series. His child-warping, Christmas-loving villain, Charlie Manx, is one of the best end-level bosses in all of fiction, evil and memorable enough to receive a mention from none other than Stephen King (Hill’s father, who name-dropped Manx in Doctor Sleep). This guy Hill is a world-builder working at the top of his game.

Joe Hillprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Rodriguez, GabrielIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Faughnan, LindaCopyeditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Hardy, LibertyCopyeditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kerner, Jamie LynnDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mulgrew, KateNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Schuck, MaryCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sugden, MaureenCopyeditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Die Todten reiten schnell. (For the dead travel fast.)
-- "Lenore," Gottfried Bürger
To my mom - here's a mean machine for the story queen.
Nurse Thornton dropped into the long-term-care ward a little before eight with a hot bag of blood for Charlie Manx.

Don't slow down

Victoria McQueen has an uncanny knack for finding things: a misplaced bracelet, a missing photograph, answers to unanswerable questions. When she rides her bicycle over the rickety old covered bridge in the woods near her house, she always emerges in the places she needs to be. Vic doesn't tell anyone about her unusual ability, because she knows no one will believe her. She has trouble understanding it herself.

Charles Talent Manx has a gift of his own. He likes to take children for rides in his 1938 Rolls-Royce Wraith with the vanity plate NOS4A2. In the Wraith, he and his innocent guests can slip out of the everyday world and onto hidden roads that lead to an astonishing playground of amusements he calls Christmasland. Mile by mile, the journey across the highway of Charlie's twisted imagination transforms his precious passengers, leaving them as terrifying and unstoppable as their benefactor.

And then comes the day when Vic goes looking for trouble . . . and finds her way, inevitably, to Charlie.

That was a lifetime ago. Now, the only kid ever to escape Charlie's unmitigated evil is all grown up and desperate to forget.

But Charlie Manx hasn't stopped thinking about the exceptional Victoria McQueen. On the road again, he won't slow down until he's taken his revenge. He's after something very special—something Vic can never replace.

As a life-and-death battle of wills builds—her magic pitted against his—Vic McQueen prepares to destroy Charlie once and for all . . . or die trying. . . .

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0062200577, Hardcover)

NOS4A2 is a spine-tingling novel of supernatural suspense from master of horror Joe Hill, the New York Times bestselling author of Heart-Shaped Box and Horns.

Victoria McQueen has a secret gift for finding things: a misplaced bracelet, a missing photograph, answers to unanswerable questions. On her Raleigh Tuff Burner bike, she makes her way to a rickety covered bridge that, within moments, takes her wherever she needs to go, whether it’s across Massachusetts or across the country.

Charles Talent Manx has a way with children. He likes to take them for rides in his 1938 Rolls-Royce Wraith with the NOS4A2 vanity plate. With his old car, he can slip right out of the everyday world, and onto the hidden roads that transport them to an astonishing – and terrifying – playground of amusements he calls “Christmasland.”

Then, one day, Vic goes looking for trouble—and finds Manx. That was a lifetime ago. Now Vic, the only kid to ever escape Manx’s unmitigated evil, is all grown up and desperate to forget. But Charlie Manx never stopped thinking about Victoria McQueen. He’s on the road again and he’s picked up a new passenger: Vic’s own son.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:01:03 -0400)

Victoria McQueen has a secret gift for finding things: a misplaced bracelet, a missing photography, answers to unanswerable questions. On her Raleigh Tuff Burner bike, she makes her way to a rickety covered bridge that, within moments, takes her wherever she needs to go, whether it's across Massachusetts or across the country. Charles Talent Manx has a way with children. He likes to take them for rides in his 1938 Rolls-Royce Wraith with the NOS4A2 vanity plate. With his old car, he can slip right out of the everyday world, and onto the hidden roads that transport them to an astonishing--and terrifying--playground of amusements he calls "Christmasland." Then, one day, Vic goes looking for trouble--and finds Manx. That was a lifetime ago. Now Vic, the only kid to ever escape Manx's unmitigated evil, is all grown up and desperate to forget. But Charlie Manx never stopped thinking about Victoria McQueen. He's on the road again and he's picked up a new passenger: Vic's own son.… (more)

Joe Hill is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

13 wanted5 pay3 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,715,481 books! | Top bar: Always visible