NOS4A2 by Joe Hill

Info:
Collections:ARC, Your library, Signed Copy
Rating:*****

NOS4A2 by Joe Hill

Recently added byVioletthedwarf, Bytg8198, fatdulac, heaven_star, private library, humblewomble, jessigib, SLP2000

English (113)  French (1)  All languages (114)
Joe Hill is really good at writing disturbing, misogynist villains. I find them difficult to read, but very real. His world-building is excellent and his characters always seem like real people.

In NOS4R2 I didn't like the main character for much of the book. Mainly, I didn't like her because of that cringing feeling of recognition. I too, was angry, bitter and acting out in ways that only harmed myself. If I found her unlikeable, it's only because I find my past self fairly unlikeable too. But it was nice to read a book where the female character is both a raging fuck up and a heroine. You don't get that so often. ( )
  Violetthedwarf | Oct 23, 2014 |

Violetthedwarf | Oct 23, 2014 |
Boom! Now this is a novel.

The sort of thing you start reading and grin at. I'm going to say it and mean it respectfully, this is like 80s era Stephen King in style
(there are even subtle nods to his dad's work: Pennywise's Circus on a map and "my life for you!", though I could be reading too much into that last one). In some ways, though, it's better. It doesn't waste any time with over the top or lengthy descriptive passages that some people dislike in King and it rocks it's modernity and geek culture references on its sleeve. And it all works.

The characters are well fleshed out and arguably make the novel. Hill has mastered the art of that half a descriptive phrase of detail which give paragraphs worth of depth on a character, and then he builds them up from there. The dialogue clicks along nicely, too, it suits individual character voices and I never felt it "clunk" and throw me out of the world.

Charlie Manx and Christmasland are fantastic concepts, they're over the top but just fall short of the ridiculous. There's a balance between the fantastic and the real here and it can be chilling.

This book is satisfying, it looks big when you pick it up (I was getting some serious thumb cramps from holding it open on the train towards the end!), but it doesn't drag. It fleshes out the parts that need fleshing out and you put it down feeling you've had exactly the right amount of story. There's so many trilogies and ongoing things around at the moment that it's really nice to read something that does everything it needs to do in one decent sized book.

Read this book. Seriously, do it like your mother told you not to. ( )
  heaven_star | Oct 20, 2014 |
Boom! Now this is a novel.

Read this book. Seriously, do it like your mother told you not to. ( )
  heaven_star | Oct 20, 2014 |
One of my favorite things about this novel is how insightful Joe Hill is. He does an amazing job of pinpointing the exact things that are unsettling about Christmas outside of Christmas. His dialogue is specific and believable, and he does a wonderful job of crafting flawed but relatable protagonists in Lou and Vic.

Joe Hill also has no problem with poking fun of some of the tropes he uses within the structure of the story. One of the other characters refers to Manx as "using a Renfield." It's nice to see that the narration has a good sense of humor about itself, and is in on its own jokes within the horror genre.

Despite moments of levity, there are parts of this story that managed to be terrifying. Repeated threats of sexual violence and Manx and Bing's absolute conviction that they really are doing the right thing were truly upsetting. This is a must read for anyone who is interested in horror, and would be a good entry point into the genre for anyone looking to see what it's all about. ( )
  junerain | Oct 20, 2014 |
BLOODY DISGUSTING bloody-disgusting.com
[BEST & WORST '13] Top 10 Horror Novels of the Year!

8. NOS4A2, by Joe Hill
(April 30; William Morrow)

Whimsical to a fault, Joe Hill’s newest novel is jam-packed with enough imagination for an entire series. His child-warping, Christmas-loving villain, Charlie Manx, is one of the best end-level bosses in all of fiction, evil and memorable enough to receive a mention from none other than Stephen King (Hill’s father, who name-dropped Manx in Doctor Sleep). This guy Hill is a world-builder working at the top of his game.

Joe Hillprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Rodriguez, GabrielIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Faughnan, LindaCopyeditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Hardy, LibertyCopyeditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kerner, Jamie LynnDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mulgrew, KateNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Schuck, MaryCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sugden, MaureenCopyeditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Die Todten reiten schnell. (For the dead travel fast.)
-- "Lenore," Gottfried Bürger
To my mom - here's a mean machine for the story queen.
Nurse Thornton dropped into the long-term-care ward a little before eight with a hot bag of blood for Charlie Manx.
What's good stays good no matter how much of a beating it takes.
She breathed deeply of the scent of decaying fiction, disintegrating history, and forgotten verse, and she observed for the first time that a room full of books smelled like dessert:  a sweet snack made of figs, vanilla, glue, and cleverness.
But everyone also lives in the world inside their own head. An inscape, a world of thought. In a world made of thought--in an inscape--every idea is a fact. Emotions are as real as gravity. Dreams are as powerful as history.
Christmas was almost three months in the rearview mirror, and there was something awful about Christmas music when it was nearly summer. It was like a clown in the rain, with his makeup running.
She thought of mothering, which was really another word for being present and caring what happened to someone.

Don't slow down

Victoria McQueen has an uncanny knack for finding things: a misplaced bracelet, a missing photograph, answers to unanswerable questions. When she rides her bicycle over the rickety old covered bridge in the woods near her house, she always emerges in the places she needs to be. Vic doesn't tell anyone about her unusual ability, because she knows no one will believe her. She has trouble understanding it herself.

Charles Talent Manx has a gift of his own. He likes to take children for rides in his 1938 Rolls-Royce Wraith with the vanity plate NOS4A2. In the Wraith, he and his innocent guests can slip out of the everyday world and onto hidden roads that lead to an astonishing playground of amusements he calls Christmasland. Mile by mile, the journey across the highway of Charlie's twisted imagination transforms his precious passengers, leaving them as terrifying and unstoppable as their benefactor.

And then comes the day when Vic goes looking for trouble . . . and finds her way, inevitably, to Charlie.

That was a lifetime ago. Now, the only kid ever to escape Charlie's unmitigated evil is all grown up and desperate to forget.

But Charlie Manx hasn't stopped thinking about the exceptional Victoria McQueen. On the road again, he won't slow down until he's taken his revenge. He's after something very special—something Vic can never replace.

As a life-and-death battle of wills builds—her magic pitted against his—Vic McQueen prepares to destroy Charlie once and for all . . . or die trying. . . .

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0062200577, Hardcover)

NOS4A2 is a spine-tingling novel of supernatural suspense from master of horror Joe Hill, the New York Times bestselling author of Heart-Shaped Box and Horns.

Victoria McQueen has a secret gift for finding things: a misplaced bracelet, a missing photograph, answers to unanswerable questions. On her Raleigh Tuff Burner bike, she makes her way to a rickety covered bridge that, within moments, takes her wherever she needs to go, whether it’s across Massachusetts or across the country.

Charles Talent Manx has a way with children. He likes to take them for rides in his 1938 Rolls-Royce Wraith with the NOS4A2 vanity plate. With his old car, he can slip right out of the everyday world, and onto the hidden roads that transport them to an astonishing – and terrifying – playground of amusements he calls “Christmasland.”

Then, one day, Vic goes looking for trouble—and finds Manx. That was a lifetime ago. Now Vic, the only kid to ever escape Manx’s unmitigated evil, is all grown up and desperate to forget. But Charlie Manx never stopped thinking about Victoria McQueen. He’s on the road again and he’s picked up a new passenger: Vic’s own son.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:01:03 -0400)

Victoria McQueen has a secret gift for finding things: a misplaced bracelet, a missing photography, answers to unanswerable questions. On her Raleigh Tuff Burner bike, she makes her way to a rickety covered bridge that, within moments, takes her wherever she needs to go, whether it's across Massachusetts or across the country. Charles Talent Manx has a way with children. He likes to take them for rides in his 1938 Rolls-Royce Wraith with the NOS4A2 vanity plate. With his old car, he can slip right out of the everyday world, and onto the hidden roads that transport them to an astonishing--and terrifying--playground of amusements he calls "Christmasland." Then, one day, Vic goes looking for trouble--and finds Manx. That was a lifetime ago. Now Vic, the only kid to ever escape Manx's unmitigated evil, is all grown up and desperate to forget. But Charlie Manx never stopped thinking about Victoria McQueen. He's on the road again and he's picked up a new passenger: Vic's own son.… (more)

Joe Hill is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

13 wanted5 pay3 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,425,250 books! | Top bar: Always visible