Aïda by Leontyne Price

Aïda (1990)

by Leontyne Price, Giuseppe Verdi (Composer)

Other authors: Diane Dillon (Illustrator), Leo Dillon (Illustrator)

209484,814 (4.05)4

Aida was not what I thought it was going to be. It was a story of a princess falling in love with her country's enemy. It had no useful lesson and showed jealously and anger. In my opinion, the book would be better for middle school students. I do have to say that the art is beautiful, the details are great and the character's features are well developed. The reason i chose this book was because the cover picture caught my eye. The text was long but told an interesting story about love. I did not expect for the princess and the warrior to die at the end, I was not expecting a sad ending. I feel like I did not take anything away from the story but it was well written and the pictures followed the story. ( )
  dmesquivel | Feb 18, 2019 |
This is a story about a princess from Ethiopia that is taken prisoner and made a slave. She falls in love with the leader of the Egyptian guards. All kinds of problems ensue.
  RachelHollingsworth | Feb 3, 2015 |
Aida was a beautiful African folktale about star crossed lovers whose love is thwarted by opposing empires. Their love is forbidden and is greatly denounced to the effect of one of the King's refusal to accept his daughter after hearing of desire to be with his enemy's son. I thought this story was a tragic tale because even though they greatly love each other as much as they loved their land, they could not be together because of their affiliations with their native land. ( )
  hlmusiclover | Nov 11, 2014 |
Aida is the story of an Ethiopian princess and Egyptian prince who fall in love against their country's will. In this story, true love overcomes betrayal and the fear of death.
This is a sophisticated and complicated story, and although it is a picture book, I think it is better suited for older children (middle school) in order for them to fully understand the story plot. ( )
  claireforhan | Apr 14, 2013 |

Leontyne Priceprimary authorall editionscalculated
Verdi, GiuseppeComposermain authorall editionsconfirmed
Dillon, DianeIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Dillon, LeoIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
children's book

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 015200405X, Hardcover)

There's no voice like that of opera singer Leontyne Price, and in this retelling of Aida, published in paperback for the first time, we discover that her writer's voice is equally moving. This tale of the Ethiopian princess-turned-slave, her soldier lover, and their inevitable tragedy is a favorite of Price, who reveals her feeling of sisterhood with the doomed Aida in the book's afterword. Price brings just enough distance to this story of love, jealousy, war, envy, and suicide to temper her passion. Telling the tale of Aida, one of the world's most famous--and tragic--operas, in appropriate language and tone is a task to which Price is more than equal.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:06:35 -0400)

Retells the story of Verdi's opera in which the love of the enslaved Ethiopian princess for an Egyptian general brings tragedy to all involved.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,496,514 books! | Top bar: Always visible