Sweetest Taboo: A novel by Eva Márquez

Sweetest Taboo: A novel (edition 2012)

by Eva Márquez

Member:JerseyGirlBookReview
Title:Sweetest Taboo: A novel
Authors:Eva Márquez
Info:CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform (2012), Paperback, 296 pages
Collections:Read, Your library

Sweetest Taboo: A novel by Eva Márquez

Review for Sweetest Taboo by Eva Marques

I was given this book to review thanks to the author Eva Marques and Young Adult Reads Group on Goodreads. So thank you!

Now this book is controversial considering it is about a romance between a young girl and her teacher. How do you I rate this book is what I am finding difficult. Yes the author is talented, her writing is good and I would probably read her next book. But the hard part is how do I publically say I found this book good or great when it to me sexual abuse?

So this is my problem, in reading this story the author is trying to show us readers that Isabel had some control in this relationship and that she did in fact love Tom (Mr.Steven’s) and it does appear she had some power in this relationship. But in saying that she was a minor and he was her teacher and even though their love was taboo I am not sure I can say it was sweet.

But as a reviewer I am going to say that I will give it a 3 star rating and it probably does deserve a 4 star but I cannot get past the underlying issues.

Eva Marques writing is good and I do look forward to reading your next book.

So thank you for giving me the opportunity to read the Sweetest Taboo.
  TanaT | Aug 7, 2013 |
SWEETEST TABOO by Eva Marguez is an interesting Mature Contemporary Young Adult romance. The first in the "Sweetest Taboo" series. An intense story with controversial issues and a forbidden love with tragic results. A teacher-student relationship. Told from 15 year old Isobel Cruz perspective. "Sweetest Taboo" is the story of young Isabel Cruz,a 15 year old and Tom Stevens,her swim coach. It is a thin line between love,hate and betrayal. An illicit,illegal love affair,lying,cheating,and misinforming story that is heart breaking,compelling and emotional. While,"Sweetest Taboo" is not for everyone,it is written from an objective view,the author does not try to push the student-teacher relationship down the reader's throat. She does take you from one extreme to the next in this compelling and emotional story of forbidden love. As for this reviewer, I have real issues with the student-teacher relationship,but have to say this was a roller coaster story. It is labeled as a mature contemporary Young Adult read,but I don't know that I would agree with that,but there you are. As I said,"Sweetest Taboo" is not for everyone,but if you enjoy reading controversial issues,teenage issues,and forbidden love,you will enjoy this story. Book 2 in the "Sweetest Taboo" series, "Tainted Love" is to release this month. Received for an honest review from he publisher.

RATING: 4

HEAT RATING: Hot(Due to nature of content)

REVIEWED BY: AprilR, My Book Addiction Reviews ( )
  MyBookAddiction | Mar 11, 2013 |
This is a story about a school girl crush that turns into a forbidden taboo love affair between a teenage girl and her swim coach / teacher.

When fifteen year old Isabel Cruz meets thirty-something teacher/swim coach Tom Stevens, she develops a crush and pursues the married father of two daughters. What starts out as mild flirting between student and teacher quickly develops into a relationship that blurs the norm and crosses the line into a forbidden love affair that would last until she turns eighteen years old. Sweetest Taboo recounts an illicit experience told from the point of view of a teenage girl caught in the throes of a forbidden and confusing relationship.

To say that Sweetest Taboo is edgy and controversial would be an understatement, but author Eva Marquez weaves an intriguing tale that is so intense and provocative, it draws the reader into Isabel's story and invokes the full gamut of emotions. This delicate subject matter has become all too common in today's society, but what I love about this story is that the author does not exactly romanticize the taboo relationship, but she does make sure to stress that although the relationship is illicit, it was also consensual. The author thoughtfully demonstrates that love can happen regardless of age or situation. I think that the letter to the reader at the beginning of the story helps the reader make an emotional connection to the story.

Isabel and Tom are realistic and complex characters who draw the reader into their love affair. I thought that Isabel was strong and mature for her age, but there were definitely times when the teenager in her was very evident. As for Tom, I have mixed feeling about him. While I don't doubt his feelings for Isabel were real and sincere, I would have preferred to think that as an adult, he would have utilized restraint and not acted upon his feelings or desire, and would have more respect and consideration for his wife and children. As their relationship progressed, Isabel matured and begun to question the relationship which brought her to make tough decisions in the end. This is what I liked most about the story, because Isabel learned lessons from the mistakes she made when engaging in this type of relationship, and she was able to visualize a future with bigger dreams and goals for herself.

Sweetest Taboo is not your typical romance story, but it is a powerful, compelling, and thoughtful story that is intriguing, requires an open mind, and will definitely invoke a wide range emotions. Not every book will leave you feeling warm and fuzzy, but this story will provide you with food for thought in regard to this sensitive subject matter. What you will come away with from this story is for you to decide, but I for one thought that it was well written with sensitivity and understanding. I admire the author's courage to write about this realistic and controversial subject matter.

Disclaimer: I received a copy of the book from the author in exchange for my honest review and participation in a virtual book tour event hosted by Pump Up Your Book! Virtual Book Publicity Tours.

http://jerseygirlbookreviews.blogspot.com/2012/11/sweetest-taboo-by-eva-marquez-... ( )
  JerseyGirlBookReview | Nov 14, 2012 |

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,247,538 books! | Top bar: Always visible