Jim Butcher's The Dresden Files: Fool Moon…

Jim Butcher's The Dresden Files: Fool Moon Volume 2 HC (edition 2013)

by Jim Butcher

Member:ladycato
Title:Jim Butcher's The Dresden Files: Fool Moon Volume 2 HC
Authors:Jim Butcher
Info:Dynamite Entertainment (2013), Paperback, 120 pages
Rating:**1/2
Tags:read in 2013, graphic novel, netgalley, ebook, urban fantasy, dresden files

Jim Butcher's The Dresden Files: Fool Moon Volume 2 HC by Jim Butcher

This is the second volume in the Jim Butcher’s Dresden Files Fool Moon graphic novel story arc. It did a good job of wrapping up the story and was well written, but the artwork again left a lot to be desired.

This graphic novel picks up where the first volume left off and covers issues 5-8 of the Fool Moon story. Harry is trying to track down the werewolf that is murdering people with the help of the sexy Tera West and a group of teenage werewolves. Murphy continues to not trust him and is making life difficult for Harry. Harry gets beat up like crazy and manages to pull through in the Harry-like way he is famous for.

Again the biggest disappointment for this book is the illustration, it is just not up to par. Welcome to the Jungle and Storm Front had stunning illustration and Fool Moon’s illustration has kind of sucked. There is yet another illustrator for Goblin Ghoul, so I am hoping we will see some improvement there.

The story is well done and captures the complexity of all of the different werewolf groups well without ever getting confusing. The dialogue is well written and contains the campy humor that Dresden is know for. It was an enjoyable read and well done. This is the installment where we get to meet Georgia and Billy. Also Tera West features in here and helps Dresden out in tracking down the loup garou.

Overall a decent wrap up to this storyline. The artwork needs a lot of work though. Fans of the Dresden series and fans of urban fantasy graphic novels will enjoy this. I really really hope we get better artwork in Goblin Ghoul. However the writing is well done and captures the essence of Harry Dresden very well. ( )
  krau0098 | Oct 3, 2013 |
I received an electronic advance release copy of this graphic novel through NetGalley.

I read the full novel of this book in mid-2011, so it's been awhile. Butcher writes very intricate subplots that weave together into the main action. Even with a synopsis at the start of this illustrated version, it was very hard to jump in half-way. There are so many character to keep straight, and of course, they weren't portrayed the way I imagined them. That said, I think they did a good job of condensing the plot as they did. I won't get into specifics, as I don't want to spoil anyone.

The artwork is good but not spectacular. It was bothersome to see every female portrayed as a sexpot, but I suppose I should accept that as a given for the medium. I'm not sure how things will change in the full printed version, but it jolted me to see the computer-added graphics so bright against the darkness of the panel artwork. It made them too bold and distracted from the story.

I'm a fan of the Dresden Files novels, but this sneak peek of the graphic novel version doesn't interest me in buying or reading more of the illustrated series. I think I'll stick with my own imagination. ( )
  ladycato | Jan 12, 2013 |

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,618,973 books! | Top bar: Always visible