Holiday Buzz (A Coffeehouse Mystery) by Cleo…

Holiday Buzz (A Coffeehouse Mystery) (original 2012; edition 2012)

by Cleo Coyle (Author)

When she stumbles upon the dead body of a hardworking baker's assistant during the Great New York Cookie Swap, coffeehouse manager Clare Cosi and her boyfriend, NYPD detective Mike Quinn, spend their holiday poring over the clues to catch a killer.
Member:bookishwitch
Title:Holiday Buzz (A Coffeehouse Mystery)
Authors:Cleo Coyle (Author)
Info:Berkley (2012), Edition: A Coffeehouse Mystery, 384 pages
Collections:Your library, To read

Holiday Buzz by Cleo Coyle (2012)

Really enjoyed this sereis. It would be nice if Clare wasnt the one to always find the murderd but I supposed there wouldnt be much of a story then. I did think it was a bit to brought together with Lori and Clare but it is a cozy after all....Will read more by this author and in this series. Might even try a few receipes. ( )
  nraichlin | Jan 26, 2016 |
It is the holiday season and Clare Cosi has been busy not only running the Village Blend Coffee House but running the beverage service for various charity events. When she's not doing that she is enjoying her brief visits with NYPD Detective Mike Quinn who is working in Washington, DC. That's enough to keep her busy but she soon finds herself in the middle of a murder investigation when she stumbles over a bludgeoned body. This murder is personal since Clare knew the murder victim and she decides to investigate the murder. The more she digs the more she realizes that many people, including the murder victim, aren't what they seem to be. Can Clare solve the crime before she becomes the next victim?

"Holiday Buzz" is another nicely done book in Cleo Coyle's Coffee House cozy mystery series. I love the coffee house and New York setting and having the book set at Christmas time is an added bonus. Clare continues to grow on me as a character as does her relationship with her ex-husband Matteo and his mother Madame. Mike Quinn isn't in the book much but when he is he adds much to the book. I loved the cookie swap and was hungry the entire time I was reading the book (there are recipes in the back of the book. No murder is ever happy, including fictional ones, but this murder and a subsequent one left me feeling particularly sad - Coyle does add subtle bits of humor throughout the book to offset this. The mystery is well plotted with plenty of suspects and a few red herring's and I was truly surprised at who the killer turned out to be.

"Holiday Buzz" is another winner by Cleo Coyle. ( )
  drebbles | May 20, 2015 |
Coyles coffee house mysteries are always a nice "break in the action" book. This is much like the others I have ready by Coyle, which is a good thing, as I can always count on a fun, quick read, but on the other hand, the repetition can lead to boredom, and the very reason that I read one of these quick mysteries evaporates.
I guess what I am saying is, I enjoy the readability, the sharp, quit wit and humor, and the pseudo excitement of trying to figure out 'who-done-it", but this is the 3rd book I have read by Coyle, and to be honest, the thrill is nearly gone.
The stories, locations, characters, and plots are all a bit to similar to elicit the response I expect....so, just a 3 star this time. And it will probably be a while before I crave a story from the Coffee House. ( )
  pife43 | Jul 23, 2014 |
With Christmas right around the corner, Clare and her coffeehouse is providing the coffee service for the annual Cookie Swap. These are gala family events that allow NYC bakers to show off their talents and raise money for charity. But the festivities are short lived when Clare discovers the body of M, one of her seasonal workers and a baker for one of her close friends. Clare is sure the police are on the wrong track and is determined to find the real killer.

These books just keep getting better. I love the way the relationships in them keep developing. And the mystery is always pretty good. There was a lot going on in the book but it all worked together. Clare is one smart cookie and keeps the readers on their toes. ( )
  TheLibraryhag | Oct 31, 2013 |
I enjoyed this book, even though it's not the holiday season. The plot was a little more complicated than usual for cozy mysteries, which I liked. Clare, the protagonist, is still pretty nosy, but she seems to be gaining support among some in the NYPD. Still, the nosiness gets her into trouble on more than one occasion in this book, but she always comes out of the situations okay. Predictable? Sure. I still enjoy the coffee shop setting! Since I'm on a diet, though, I skipped the pages in the back with yummy recipes. ( )
  dukefan86 | May 29, 2013 |
A good conscience is a continual Christmas
--Benjamin Franklin
Prologue: She's coming. I see her....

LibraryThing Member Giveaway

Cleo Coyle's book Holiday Buzz was available from LibraryThing Member Giveaway.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 155,805,519 books! | Top bar: Always visible