The Seventh Victim by Mary Burton

The Seventh Victim (edition 2013)

by Mary Burton

Member:pagei
Title:The Seventh Victim
Authors:Mary Burton
Info:Zebra (2013), Mass Market Paperback, 416 pages

The Seventh Victim by Mary Burton

Recently added byprivate library, danigoose1, rock.chick, MikeBruscellSr, NancyLuebke, djts5420, KML1, TxYanky

Wow, this book grabbed me from the first and was so hard to put down. The characters drew me in and kept me guessing through most of the book. One of the best mysteries I've read for a while.Great job. ( )
1 vote NancyLuebke | Apr 17, 2014 |
good book ( )
  djts5420 | Jan 27, 2014 |
I saw the way this was going to end. ( )
  Jilly66 | Nov 22, 2013 |
Reviewed by: April
Book provided by: Negalley
Review originally posted at Romancing the Book

Pulse-pounding and intense, The Seventh Victim is an amazing ride from beginning to end!

With an excellent blend of romantic suspense and a dash of psychological twists, Mary Burton does a wonderful job of bringing an intensity and depth to this amazing story. Imagine being the only victim targeted by a serial killer who survives. Imagine the terror of living with this knowledge day after day after day. Imagine having your memories of the attack so deeply hidden that you have no idea if the next person you meet on the street was your attacker and is coming back to finish what he started. This is what Lara Church has lived with for the past seven years. She has been constantly on the run, settling nowhere and committing her life to her art: taking photographs of murder scenes. All of that changes, however, with the death of her Grandmother and she finds herself in Austin, Texas living in her Grandmother’s house and working a job as a photography teacher. When young women begin turning up murdered Lara knows that her time is ticking away and she must unearth her memories before more innocent women are killed – and before the killer comes to complete what he started seven years ago.

I really enjoyed Mary Burton’s writing style in The Seventh Victim. She does an excellent job of bringing the characters to life, allowing readers to connect to them and actually feel for and with them. Lara is a very stubborn and strong-minded person who insists that she can take care of herself. Texas Ranger, James Beck has other ideas, however, that do not fall into line with Lara’s ideas. When bodies begin turning up, Beck knows that Lara can help solve the case if she could only remember what happened that night long ago, and he will stop at nothing to get her to try everything possible to remember.

With constant action and twists and turns, The Seventh Victim was a very quick read for me that kept my attention from beginning to end. The slight romance between Lara and James was a nice added shadow to the story, while the intensity of finding the killer before it was too late was enough to keep me glued to the pages. I also loved the secondary characters that really lent an extra dimension to the story.

While I did have the killer figured out pretty early on in the story, there was an incredible twist that I completely did not see coming. I loved how the author did this, creating shock value as well as intrigue. I have read other books by Ms. Burton and truly enjoy her writing style, characterization and her ability to draw me into the story and the setting. She truly has a talent for romantic suspense and I highly recommend The Seventh Victim to anyone looking for a great read in that genre! ( )
1 vote RtB | Sep 23, 2013 |
This one had me fooled, a story where the seventh victim of a serial killer, who somehow survives, finds herself having to face some of her demons when women where she lives now start dying in the same ways she nearly died. I was reading it, enjoying myself and patting myself on the back for guessing from the clues who dunnit when the author pulled one out of the left field and made me gasp, it was a pleased gasp as an author surprised me and had me at the edge of the seat, cause it was once again open to interpretation as to if characters would survive. The romance didn't have a great buildup but overall it was a good read and I would recommend it. ( )
1 vote wyvernfriend | May 7, 2013 |
none
Prologue
Seattle
Seven years ago

The man crouched by the unconscious woman lying on the dewy grass by the highway and tilted her pale, still face toward the moon.

The one who got away - is the only one he wants. It's been seven years since the Seattle Strangler terrorized the city. His victims were all young, pretty, their lifeless bodies found wrapped in a white dress. But there was one who miraculously escaped death. . .

Lara Church has only hazy memories of her long-ago attack. What she does have is a home in Austin, a job, and a chance at a normal life at last. Then Texas Ranger James Beck arrives on her doorstep with shattering news: The Strangler is back. And this time, he's in Austin.

"Lara Church has only hazy memories of her long-ago attack. What she does have is a home in Austin, a job, and a chance at a normal life at last. Then Texas Ranger James Beck arrives on her doorstep with shattering news: The Strangler is back. And this time, he's in Austin"--P. [4] of cover.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,383,560 books! | Top bar: Always visible