Griffin's Storm: Book Three by Darby Karchut

Griffin's Storm: Book Three (edition 2012)

by Darby Karchut

Member:arthistorychick
Title:Griffin's Storm: Book Three
Authors:Darby Karchut
Info:
Rating:*****

Griffin's Storm: Book Three by Darby Karchut

GRIFFIN'S STORM is book three in author Darby Karchut’s Griffin series – a series which continues to deliver on all fronts. Showcasing an original, engaging plot, relatable and intriguing characters and some darn good writing, this is a great series.

In this third book, we are once again flying high with Griffin and his mentor Basil as the two perform their jobs as guardian angels amidst recovering from his stint as a mortal, navigating Griffin’s love life with mortal girl, and neighbour, Katie and the threat posed by Griffin’s old mentor Nicopolis. Griffin is still awesome; tough, kind, funny and sweet. There’s a bit of trouble in paradise with Griffin and Katie in this book, and we actually don’t get to see a lot of Katie. This part of the series sees more of the angelic side of things, with Griffin and Basil on the run from Nicopolis who is worse than ever and targeting not just Griffin anymore, but all Earth and Fire Terrae Angeli. Sergei returns for protection detail, and his and Griffin’s relationship is as snarky as ever! I did enjoy seeing the growth in their not-quite friendship. Though still competitive they are slowly learning a grudging respect for each other and Sergei definitely lends a hand when Nicopolis comes calling. As do the new angels that are assigned to help protect Griffin.

There are some teary moments in this book, one unexpected at the beginning and a few slightly more expected ones resulting from some pretty kick-butt battles with Nicopolis and his recruited group of Wind and Water Terrae Angeli. So much interaction with Nicopolis has forced Griffin to kind of come to terms with how Nicopolis treated him – you can definitely see how Griffin is slowly healing old wounds, and the crazy moment at the ending will go a long way to helping him completely move forward from that time (I think anyway! And wow, hard to do no spoilers. Let’s just say I don’t think Nicopolis saw it coming).

GRIFFIN'S STORM by Darby Karchut sees a lot of changes and growth for Griffin and company, and some interesting new plot developments that I am anxiously waiting to see culminate in a book 4 (I hope so!). This book does a wonderful job in bringing events from books one and two together in a clash of the angels and the intense moments are very well done. Griffin and Basil face their hardest challenge yet in this one, and though they weather the storm, they don’t come out unscathed. This series has continuously entertained and enthralled me – you just can’t help but cheer for Griffin! ( )
  thekams | Mar 29, 2013 |
Finishing the last book makes me sad. I really enjoyed this series.

The plot of the book is awesome. Stepping into Griffin's shoes, I loved watching him go from a scared boy to a strong young man. Reading the growth of Griffin and watching him fulfill his destiny is great. Each chapter, Griffin grows stronger making mistakes along the way but becoming better. And when his past comes back to haunt him, Griffin is ready to face it.

The love interest really bugged me. I wanted these two to fall even more in love with each other be all so romantic. Instead, things pulled them apart and for me the felt stagnant. They didn't really go anywhere but didn't go back either. Still, the ending did make up for it a bit.

Overall, Griffin's Storm is a great ending. Griffin has been training this entire time to face what has haunt him so and he fight is with great perseverance and strength. I really admire Griffin's ability to stand up before it all. Griffin's Storm is mighty ending to an awesome series. ( )
  Bookswithbite | Mar 10, 2013 |
Griffin’s Storm by Darby Karchut
6 stars!! Yes, I mean 6 stars!!
Source: Author for a fair and honest review

It is absolutely no secret how much I love Darby Karchut’s Griffin series and while I was eagerly awaiting the third installment of the series I was in no way prepared for the awesomeness that is Griffin’s Storm. Fire! This book is excellent!

With Griffin’s Storm Karchut came ready to play and has delivered a read which has a totally different feel and flow than the other two installments. From the very beginning there is an air of tension: Griffin and Basil’s missions keep going sideways, Sukalli keeps making appearances, a newly-promoted Sergei is back in a protection capacity, and Katie is struggling with life as the girlfriend of a Terrae Angeli. Let’s take this one step at a time, shall we?

*It takes about four seconds to figure out Nicopolis is the reason Griffin and Basil’s missions keep going sideways. The rat bastard is playing for keeps and causing serious injury to both Griffin and Basil at every turn. As a result, the two angels are removed from active duty and asked to leave their home and go into hiding until Nicopolis can be tracked and neutralized.

*I can’t say I really warmed up to Sukalli in the earlier installments (did anyone?) but he sure does gain my affection in this novel. Not only is Sukalli an expert healer but he is also hot on the trail of Nicopolis and determined to see the rogue angel brought to justice or brought down. Sukalli is a beast who is more than prepared to do whatever is necessary to see the threat to his friends and colleagues shut down!

* I can’t say I really warmed up to Sergei in the previous installment (did anyone?) but he sure does gain my affection in this novel. Wait a minute, didn’t I just say that?  Well, it’s true, again! Sergei has been promoted to full guardian status and has been assigned to help protect Basil and Griffin, much to everyone’s displeasure. There is true evolution in Sergei’s character and I very much like how he and Griffin learn to not only like but truly trust one another. Even with the arrogance, Sergei turns out to be a true and loyal friend ready to serve and protect his fellow Terre Angeli. Oh, and he tries to drown Griffin but only once and it’s not on purpose 

*I am so over Katie and her drama!

While all of the above would have made for a fine novel, Karchut goes four kinds of crazy and introduces some fine new characters and amps up the action to full-throttle excellent. Making their first appearance in the Griffin series is Nan-ja and her young tiro, Vassar. Like Sergei, the girls have been assigned to both aid and protect Griffin and Basil while Nicopolis is still on the loose. In order to better prepare their tiros for the coming battle, Basil and Nan-ja trade tiros. I cannot tell a lie, I thought Basil was pretty hard-core until I met Nan-ja. I. Love. Her. As a fellow Earth/Fire, Vassar and Griffin have an immediate connection to one another that is both endearing and sweet. We have certainly not seen nor heard the last from these two lovely ladies but to tell you more at this point would just spoil the read for you.

As for the action, WOW! The final unfolding of events is both highly informative and action-packed. Nicopolis is absolutely, 100% bat-sh*t crazy and like a bad rash, his crazy has spread to other Terre Angeli. With his group of psychos and some “fun” new toys (wait till you read about this!) Nicopolis leads a mission meant to destroy Griffin and everything and everyone he holds dear. Here’s the problem with crazy, you’re CRAZY!!! For Nicopolis this means he has gone so far ‘round the bend he has actually become fanatical and completely blinded by his hatred and misguided beliefs. If he wasn’t so bloody awful one might actually feel sorry for him. I am not that one, however  Without giving anything away, I have to say the ending of this one was significantly satisfying!

The bottom line: I have never, ever added a sixth star to my reviews but feel it is completely warranted for Griffin’s Storm. This novel is a perfect combination of: characters, both old and new; strong character development; a large leap forward in the on-going plot line with room to add a fourth book (Dear Lord, I desperately pray there is going to be a fourth book. Amen); a very new and exciting feel to the read in terms of tone, tenor, and flow and; quite simply, superb writing! I have recommended this series to young and old alike twice before and I am whole-heartedly doing so yet again. ( )
  arthistorychick | Dec 3, 2012 |
It was great to catch up with Griffin and Basil again in this third book about the Terrae Angeli - the Earth Angels. They are the traditional guardian angels who watch closely over humans. In Karchut's mythology, they are also very like humans in that they have free will - the ability to choose to be good or evil. Griffin is back to being a Terrae Angeli in this one. There are some tensions with his girlfriend Katie. She was happy when he had been turned into a human. But she knew how unhappy he was. Now she is somewhat unhappy that he can't put her first. Calls to save humans in danger have to come before plans with her. This causes Griffin to be unhappy too.

And the villain of the piece - Nicopolis - is back. It wasn't bad enough that he cruelly abused Griffin when he was first made and cheated to make Griffin fail his test to be an Earth Angel thus causing him to be turned into a human, now he is determined to take revenge on Griffin. He feels that it is Griffin who has derailed his progress to becoming an upper level Earth Angel. He has found a magical device that increases his power over his elements and is intent on using it to kill Griffin. Worse yet, he has recruited other like-minded Terrae Angeli to go on some sort of crusade to restore the Terrae Angeli to his notion of purity.

Terrae Angeli are divided into two kinds - Wind and Waters and Earth and Fires. Nicopolis is convinced that Wind and Waters, which he is, are closest to being celestial angels and that Earth and Fires need to be destroyed. Naturally, Griffin's gifts are Earth and Fire.

This book is filled with adventure as Griffin and his Mentor Basil along with some companions including Griffin's nemesis Sergei and new characters Mentor Nan-ji and her Tiro Vassar run to an isolated cabin to get Nicopolis and his crew away from ordinary humans. There is a lot of danger as they battle for their lives. The book is also filled with humor as Sergei and Griffin tease and pick at each other. And, underlying it all, the book is filled with love - parent-child love, romantic love, and love of life.

I really like this series and recommend it for readers of all ages. The whole series - Griffin Rising, Griffin's Fire, and Griffin's Storm - would make wonderful Holiday gifts for the Middle Grade and Young Adult readers in your life. They have both adventure and romance. They have humor and heart. ( )
  kmartin802 | Nov 17, 2012 |

An old enemy returns. A new alliance is formed. And Griffin finds himself in the eye of the storm when an ancient racial hatred is set loose, jeopardizing the very existence of the Terrae Angeli.
Once again, the teen guardian angel is forced to battle his worst nightmare.
But this time, Griffin comes back swinging. With a vengeance.
After all, an eye for an eye...

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:32:28 -0400)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,362,965 books! | Top bar: Always visible