The Boy: A Novel by Lara Santoro

The Boy: A Novel (edition 2013)

by Lara Santoro

Member:erinhill01
Title:The Boy: A Novel
Authors:Lara Santoro
Info:Little, Brown and Company (2013), Hardcover, 192 pages
Rating:***
Tags:coming of age, drug abuse, romance

The Boy: A Novel by Lara Santoro

I picked this up while at my job (I work as a shelver at a library) and casually flipped through it. I ended up reading the whole thing in one shift on breaks and lunch. Fast read for sure. It was an interesting idea but I didn't like any of the characters. Anna was weak and her daughter was a straight up bitch. I thought "the boy" would play a bigger role. I was disappointed but overall the book was ok. ( )
  maddykissling | Jul 15, 2014 |
Reading this one was a little strange for me. The setting and subject matter are eerily similar to my own novel, Sabrina's Window, about a boy and a woman, set in Taos, New Mexico. Beyond that, however, the two story lines are very different.

I thoroughly enjoyed Lara Santoro's deeply felt and painfully realistic portrayal of her entire band of characters. ( )
  AlRiske | May 7, 2013 |
Did not finish.
  gmac10 | Apr 29, 2013 |
I got no idea how to rate this book and thus I’ll leave it without a rating for now.

Equally hard is it to review this one. This isn’t a book you will love but one that will make you think. You can’t just write a review gushing endlessly, instead you’ve got a story filled with honesty, although it’s the kind of honesty that not everyone wants to hear.

This isn’t a pretty story - there’ll be no rainbows and you might want to consider that before you pick it up. Instead you’ll get a story about a woman who stumbles her way through motherhood and her countless mistakes, not only concerning her child but her whole life.

The writing style was extremely different from anything I’ve read before and I’m sure that many people will have a problem with it. The story doesn’t flow quite as well but for me that mirrored the vents of the story itself. It wasn’t a smooth journey and the writing wasn’t either but for me it worked.

One thing is for sure, this book made me grateful for my life and my parents who certainly didn’t have it easy either. And that’s exactly why we need books like this – not because we have to see how badly others do but to remind ourselves how good our lives are. That sometimes one choice can ruin not only your own life, but also that of another innocent person. That with one small thoughtless choice, we might ruin lives.

One more thing that I want to make clear, this is no lovers tale, don't let the cover fool you and still it was very much worth reading.
  HereWithoutYou | Mar 31, 2013 |
I won this in a First Reads Giveaway.

I loved this book so much, every part of it. I was hooked in from the very first page and didn't couldn't put it down until after I had finished it; after I sat stunned for some time by the ending.

Even if you've read similar plots, I'd still suggest picking up this book. It's written so beautifully. It's practically poetic in starkly highlighting the deep, dark reality too many people experience, and too few admit. It's not a pleasant or happy story. It's a haunting tale about taking the wrong turn. I enjoyed reading book because it hits hard, and pulls no punches. The characters in this book are all realistic tragically flawed humans. They withdraw a reaction, and their story is emotionally impacting.

I'm going to read the author's other book, Mercy for sure and be on the look out for more books by her. I love her voice, and her style. ( )
  BrokeBookBank | Nov 25, 2012 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0316206237, Hardcover)

Once a free spirit who refused to be tied down, Anna is a forty-something single mother trying to put her life together after a bitter divorce. She crosses paths with a twenty-year-old neighbor who could not be more wrong for her---and her life suddenly has a new focus.

She is drawn to his youth, his easy grace, and his freedom from the constraints that rule her existence. Though she resists temptation in every way she can, Anna is soon engaged in a reckless and obsessive affair. The consequences are life changing.

Provocative, headlong, and utterly compelling, THE BOY is the story of a woman on the edge, torn between love and lust, desire and duty. Lara Santoro writes in fierce, unflinching prose about the dark side of passion, motherhood, and a woman's unthinkable rebellion.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:45:35 -0400)

A middle-aged, single mother going through an ugly divorce begins a torrid, irresponsible, and obsessive love affair with a twenty-year-old neighbor, resulting in life-changing consequences.

5 wanted2 pay2 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,433,357 books! | Top bar: Always visible