Frozen: A Thriller by Daniel Powell

Frozen: A Thriller (edition 2012)

by Daniel Powell

12None762,649 (3.56)None
Member:SandraDorton
Title:Frozen: A Thriller
Authors:Daniel Powell
Info:Distillations Press (2012), Paperback, 104 pages
Rating:*****

Frozen: A Thriller by Daniel Powell

I did not realize this was a short story when I submitted for the opportunity to review it. I prefer full size books. (This did not affect my rating) In fact ... I thought it was pretty good for a short story. I found the plot to be VERY interesting. I would definitely have enjoyed a full size book with this plot. Unfortunately, some things seemed too unrealistic for me accept and enjoy the story. I think there was some huge potential for this story, but I feel it fell short.

Note: This book was free and given to me with the expectation that I would review. The content of my review was in no way influenced by this understanding. The book speaks for itself and my review would have been worded just this way even if I'd gone out and bought it. ( )
  Plachno | Feb 6, 2013 |
Sheldon James was always late. When he and his family lived in Florida he was late and now, that they live in Colorado, nothing has changed. Speeding around a corner on a mountain road he comes up a Mercedes just sitting there. After some pretty fancy driving to avoid a total disaster, he climbs out and sees the owner of the Benz. Standing across the road watching him.
After screaming, ranging and yelling some more, Sheldon calms a bit and discovers he nearly took out his new neighbor’s car. Although it WAS in the middle of the road. A one-way road, no less. He goes home and tells his family all about it and then the problems begin. His wife wants to meet her, the kids wonder if she has kids (she doesn’t) and so goes one of the best thrillers I’ve read in quite a while.
It seems that Sheldon, while speeding in Florida had some issues that involve Vivian. She wants revenge and has spent over a year planning how to get it. She does a damn good job!
What a book! Don’t plan on putting it down until you’re finished because you won’t be able to. Well done, Mr. Powell, well done! ( )
  macygma | Jan 14, 2013 |
This is a novella and can be read in one sitting, which will happen when you get into it. It starts out a little slow but then all of a sudden, things come to a head when they invite their new neighbor to dinner and she tells about her daughter being hit by a car. From then on, it's full speed ahead and it will keep you turning the pages. It's a little far-fetched, but then, if you have a revenge-seeking person driving the plot, who knows what could happen.

I received this ebook in exchange for an honest review. ( )
  Betty.Karl | Jan 14, 2013 |
This story is about a loving, happy family whose secure lives are shattered when Vivian Bowles enters their lives. An awful secret carried by Sheldon, known to nobody but Vivian, is revealed – and Vivian has come here for revenge. Unfortunately, Sheldon’s wife and two children are part of Vivian’s plan.

This isn’t the most realistic book that I’ve ever read, but it was suspenseful, appropriately descriptive and drew me into the story. It’s a dark novel – if you’re looking for something heartwarming, this isn’t the book. I thought the conclusion was fine, but not as a segue to a sequel (where Sheldon’s wife is out to avenge Vivian), as I see the author has done.

There were a handful of typos, but not enough to detract from the book. I’m giving it four stars.

Please, if you give me a negative vote on my review, leave a comment and let me know why. I do try to write reviews that are helpful to those who read them who are considering purchasing the book and welcome the chance to improve them.

I received a complimentary copy of this book in exchange for agreeing to provide a fair and honest review. ( )
  tumbleweeds | Dec 29, 2012 |
A woman's hatred. A husband's guilt. A mother's anguish. Each of these emotions takes center stage in "Frozen: A Thriller." Mr. Powell is a fantastic storyteller and I couldn't put "Frozen" down. I read it from beginning to end in one sitting! ( )
  bagejew | Dec 26, 2012 |

Vivian Bowles has never been the same since losing her daughter to a hit-and-run accident. Her marriage died, her business crumbled, and she tumbled into a deep well of sorrow and despair. She sustained herself by channeling her grief into a singular mission: finding and punishing the person responsible for her daughter’s death. Her quest for answers has taken her from Florida to Colorado, where she plans to teach Sheldon and Terri James a hard lesson in personal loss. Things are about to get very cold in Colorado… Frozen, a 20,000-word novella, is a gripping examination of endurance and obsession in the face of harrowing personal tragedy.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:21:55 -0400)

Daniel Powell is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,471,583 books! | Top bar: Always visible