Fairhaven by Ken Coffman

Info:Stairway Press (2011), Edition: First, Paperback, 320 pages
Collections:Net Galley, druidgirl

Fairhaven by Ken Coffman

No tags.

Don't let the boring title fool you (when I first saw it I thought it was about golf for some reason): Fairhaven is a fast-paced detective novel with a serial killer plot and a ragtag bunch of memorable characters. Jake Mosby is a retired detective who runs a used bookstore (or spends his days sitting in his used bookstore, hoping no customers will come in and bother him). Before he knows it he has not one but two employees (actually more by novel's end)--his grandson Nort, a smarter-than-he-looks slacker, and Talon, Nort's much-smarter-than-she-looks girlfriend. Together they will help catch Charlie Fairhaven, a serial killer who preys on the elderly residents of local retirement homes and his threatening to wipe out some of Jake's most loyal customers.

I was surprised by how much I enjoyed this book. Jake and the teenagers are genuinely funny and Charlie is a believable bad guy whom I couldn't wait to see face justice. My only criticism is that the third act really dragged on longer than it needed to. There's a point when it seems clear that Charlie is about to get caught, yet the novel goes on for over a hundred and fifty more pages, with subplots about police corruption and nearly a dozen unnecessary footnotes (footnotes in a novel are usually not necessary if the writing is strong, I think). It interfered with the momentum that the first half of the novel had built up so well.

Still, it's an enjoyable read and I'd be eager to read any other Jake Mosby stories by Coffman.

Disclaimer: I received a digital galley of this book free from the publisher from NetGalley.com. I was not obliged to write a favourable review, or even any review at all. The opinions expressed are strictly my own. ( )
  CozyBookJournal | Jan 17, 2013 |
This story begins in Skagit County, Washington state, where 66 year old Jake Mosby a retired police detective is informed of his father's death and his inheritance . Jake is stubborn, he does not want the money or house but he does keep the used book store. His daughter sends his grandson Nort to live with him. Eleanor Bradley a resident in the Peaceful Meadows Assisted Living Facility approaches Jake wanting him to investigate some deaths at the home. Thus ensues the investigation and the chase of Charlie Fairhaven.
This was fine story with likable and realistic characters. I would highly recommend this book. Thanks to Net Galley and Stairway Press. ( )
  druidgirl | Nov 14, 2012 |

Retired cop Jake Mosby wants a quiet, simple life selling old books in an inherited bookstore, but serial killer Charlie Fairhaven is running around Skagit County in the Pacific Northwest. There's a grandson no one wants, an old flame rekindled and endless complications. Ken Coffman is the master of unique characterizations and Fairhaven delivers a rich reading experience.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:38:53 -0400)

Ken Coffman is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,283,284 books! | Top bar: Always visible