Second Chances by T.A. Webb

Second Chances (edition 2012)

by T.A. Webb

Collections:Lovekad
Rating:**1/2

Second Chances by T.A. Webb

3.5 stars.

I didn't love it, but I didn't hate it either. I'm not quite sure why. I think it's because I found Antonio & Mark's relationship kind of odd in the beginning half of the book. It never really sat quite right with me. It felt like more than friendship and therefore had this infidelity thread woven into it even though he was supposedly so in love with Brian. Brian's death was very touching and did bring a few tears though. Overall, it was a good book, but I didn't seem to love it as much as everyone else. That always seems to happen to me with books that have such glowing reviews. Maybe I expect too much from them. Still, it was a sweet story and most people will continue to love it. ( )
  .riley. | Sep 21, 2013 |
This story, Mark's story needs to come with a warning. Something like "'Readers Beware' or 'Read With Caution': the following story will break your heart... aaaaand then put it back together like it's brand new".

One of my status updates best explained how I felt: "I think I love the MC. I want him to be my best friend".

Then events occur which broke my heart.... the writing was achingly beautiful and I can't imagine there could have been better words to facilitate the situation the characters were in. I could see the freaking room where it happened and hear the sounds within the room.

"This was the husband of my heart." - Oh gawd help me, that scene killed me...

The supporting characters were fun and intriguing while the plot was interesting. I'm so grateful that it ended as a little ray of sunshine.

I just have one question. When's the sequel coming out? ( )
1 vote SuzyCsBooks | Jul 1, 2013 |
This book had me up reading into the wee hours of the morning wiping tears from my eyes. This book hit all the right notes. It was sweet with out being sappy. It was poignant without being trite. It was simply amazing and especially so given that this is the author's first book. I read this book based upon rave reviews thinking it couldn't be that good but I would probably enjoy it. I was simply blown away by how much I enjoyed this book. ( )
  Shanna_McConnell | May 11, 2013 |
This was GREAT!
I loved it. The first person POV worked out beautifully and Mark, the protagonist felt so real and such a great guy, it made for a brilliant read.
It was not your usual m/m romance with boy meets boy, great misunderstanding followed by HEA. This was a real people love story. With great likable, unperfect characters. I loved it.
And it made me cry, honest to god cry. Not some measly moist eyes, nope. I cried. So much that I had to explain to my husband what's going on. I couldn't stop reading, because I wanted to know how this ended. Did I mention I loved it?

What a great read. I want more. As soon as possible.
Thanks to Monique for recommending the author. ( )
  Tam2603 | Apr 18, 2013 |
This book wrecked me with 4.5 stars!

The writing was wonderful and I loved the characters. Loved them. I was drawn into the story within the first few sentences and I was in love with Mark. All the other characters grew on my quickly and there was not one person that had page time that was filler. Each had a place in the story.

What keeps me from giving it the full five stars is simply my personal preference for story line.

The friends to lovers romance between Mark and Antonio is slow growing. Over the course of years. Antonio is straight, Mark is gay and they are best friends. Mark is attracted to Antonio but committed to Brian. Antonio is seen falling in love with Mark - even making a sort of move on him - while Brian is still in the picture. I don't care for this sort of story line. Anything that skates on the edge of adultery turns me off.

Also difficult for me is the fact that we have to live through Mark's loss of his beloved Brian. When you fall in love with a character that is killed off...it's tough. Had Brian's death already happened prior to the start of the story it would have been easier to handle. Personally I don't find pleasure in reading about the kind of real and present grief that happens in the immediate aftermath of a loved one's death. It happens in real life, it's part of living, but I don't want to escape to this sort of story when I read.

That being said - it really was a wonderfully tender story. Mark is a great character and seeing his relationship with Antonio overcome potholes and speed bumps made for compelling reading.

Shout out to excellent secondary characters Robby and Jason and Mark's dad.

I will seek out more by this author but be a bit more careful about content. ( )
  Tina_Ku | Apr 17, 2013 |
added by gsc55 | editHearts on Fire, Barb (Apr 15, 2013)

Mark Jennings is at a crossroads. His finance job in the Atlanta nonprofit scene stresses him out, his mother is dying, and his relationship with Brian Jacobs has crashed and burned. He needs a distraction, some way to relax, and a massage seems like just the thing. He never expected his massage therapist, Antonio Roberto, to become his best friend.

Despite their differences—Antonio is a divorced single father—the two men forge a firm friendship that weathers Mark’s reconciliation with Brian and Antonio’s questionable taste in women. Over the years, Antonio remains constant in his support, though others in Mark’s life come and go through a revolving door.

When a young boy runs away from the group home where he works, Mark finds another door opening. Through it all he holds on to the things his loved ones taught him—about family, about friends and lovers, about life and death. Most importantly, he realizes that sometimes the greatest gift of all is a second chance.[Dreamspinner]

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,113,973 books! | Top bar: Always visible