Going Clear: Scientology, Hollywood, and the…

Going Clear: Scientology, Hollywood, and the Prison of Belief (original 2013; edition 2013)

by Lawrence Wright

607None16,000 (4.13)1 / 45
Member:knittingmomof3
Title:Going Clear: Scientology, Hollywood, and the Prison of Belief
Authors:Lawrence Wright
Info:Knopf (2013), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 448 pages
Tags:Non-Fiction, Sociology, History, Religion

Going Clear: Scientology, Hollywood, and the Prison of Belief by Lawrence Wright (2013)

Bright-sided: How the Relentless Promotion of Positive Thinking Has Undermined America by Barbara Ehrenreich (aulsmith)
    aulsmith: Although Wright missed it completely, Scientology seems to be yet another in a long line of American religions/self-help groups influenced by the Positive Thinking Movement. If you want a wider vision of how these groups function, I highly recommend Ehrenreich.… (more)
    Manson: The Life and Times of Charles Manson by Jeff Guinn (akblanchard)
    akblanchard: Although he never joined the group, Manson dabbled in Scientology. It is interesting to draw parallels between Manson's treatment of his "Family" and life in the Scientology's Sea Org.
    Inside Scientology: The Story of America's Most Secretive Religion by Janet Reitman (sparemethecensor)
    sparemethecensor: Two similar journalistic exposes of Scientology, both of which take a surprisingly even-handed view of the group. I preferred Inside Scientology, although both are great primers on what is going on under David Miscavige's regime.

English (42)  German (1)  All languages (43)
Honestly, I never really heard of Scientology before Tom Cruise bit Mat Lauer's head off regarding the effectiveness and validity of psychiatry and antidepressants. Then, all of those rumors came out: the auditing process, how they treat children, how they treated defectors. Before I read Going Clear: Scientology, Hollywood, and the Prison of Belief, I thought the rumors were gross exaggerations. Sometimes, you need to embellish the truth to sell newspapers.

I am still in awe.

The title refers to the process a Scientologist must go through in order to move up the levels to reach their version of enlightenment. A lot of money is involved as the auditing process, required literature, and devices cost an astronomical amount. The subtitle are the three parts the book is divided into.

In Scientology, Wright writes about the history of Scientology. It shows ow Paul Haggis, a renowned screenwriter and former scientologist after 35 years, first got involved the religion. It is also a biography on L. Ron Hubbard, a former science fiction author and de-facto founder of Scientology. In Hollywood, Hubbard realizes the financial cash cows celebrities are and goes hunting. His death is also explored as a new leader in David Miscavige and cash cow in Tom Cruise.

In the Prison of Belief, the shortest chapter, goes full circle showing the aftermath of Haggis' leaving of Scientology, along with other defectors. An in-depth profile of Anne Archer's son, Tommy Davis, former head of the celebrity centre of Scientology in California.

I absolutely loved this book. I was worried that this book would be biased in some way and I didn't want to read something like that. I was quite surprised on how crisp, concise, and impartial Wright's voice was. He had the ability to explain the good along with the bad about Scientology. It was such an through profile on Scientology, I feel very much informed. I now have an opinion on Scientology. It isn't good but I can understand it. ( )

Y2Ash | Apr 16, 2014 |
A compelling version of the story of Scientology that focuses on several of the stars who have adopted the faith. Wright does one of the best jobs of explaining why people are drawn in and why they stay. ( )
  Vantine | Mar 14, 2014 |
This book, while it contained a lot of interesting information, was a bit of a slog to read. The story begins with Paul Haggis and his first encounter with Dianetics and it pretty much ends with his taking a hard look at the way Scientology is run today and deciding to walk away after nearly 35 years. Along the way a lot of other Hollywood types move in and out of Scientology which depends on its celebrity members for much of its income and for credibility. Wright also gives us a fairly detailed biography of L. Ron Hubbard and how he built a religion, his feuds with various governments, and his last days. There was a long section that at times felt like tabloid Hollywood gossip but then Wright would get interesting again. He does discuss why a number of people outside of Scientology have decided that for the everyday members it is a religion and compares it to the early days of other groups that have become more mainstream.

If this sounds at all interesting I would borrow a copy rather than buying one to see if the book really is for you.
  hailelib | Mar 13, 2014 |
That crunching sound you hear is Lawrence Wright bending over backward to be fair to Scientology. Every deceptive comparison with Mormonism and other religions is given a respectful hearing. Every ludicrous bit of church dogma is served up deadpan. This makes the book’s indictment that much more powerful.
added by lorax | editNew York Times, Michael Kinsley (Jan 17, 2013)

To my colleagues at The New Yorker
(Introduction) Scientology plays an outsize role in the cast of new religions that have arisen in the twentieth century and survived into the twenty-first.
London, Ontario, is a middling manufacturing town halfway between Toronto and Detroit, once known for its cigars and breweries.

A clear-sighted revelation, a deep penetration into the world of Scientology by the Pulitzer Prize-winning author of The Looming Tower, the now-classic study of al-Qaeda’s 9/11 attack. Based on more than two hundred personal interviews with current and former Scientologists—both famous and less well known—and years of archival research, Lawrence Wright uses his extraordinary investigative ability to uncover for us the inner workings of the Church of Scientology.

At the book’s center, two men whom Wright brings vividly to life, showing how they have made Scientology what it is today: The darkly brilliant science-fiction writer L. Ron Hubbard, whose restless, expansive mind invented a new religion. And his successor, David Miscavige—tough and driven, with the unenviable task of preserving the church after the death of Hubbard.

We learn about Scientology’s complicated cosmology and special language. We see the ways in which the church pursues celebrities, such as Tom Cruise and John Travolta, and how such stars are used to advance the church’s goals. And we meet the young idealists who have joined the Sea Org, the church’s clergy, signing up with a billion-year contract.

In Going Clear, Wright examines what fundamentally makes a religion a religion, and whether Scientology is, in fact, deserving of this constitutional protection. Employing all his exceptional journalistic skills of observation, understanding, and shaping a story into a compelling narrative, Lawrence Wright has given us an evenhanded yet keenly incisive book that reveals the very essence of what makes Scientology the institution it is.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:31:16 -0400)

"Based on more than two hundred personal interviews with both current and former Scientologists--both famous and less well known--and years of archival research, Lawrence Wright uses his extraordinary investigative skills to uncover for us the inner workings of the Church of Scientology: its origins in the imagination of science-fiction writer L. Ron Hubbard; its struggles to find acceptance as a legitimate (and legally acknowledged) religion; its vast, secret campaign to infiltrate the U.S. government; its vindictive treatment of critics; its phenomenal wealth; and its dramatic efforts to grow and prevail after the death of Hubbard"--From publisher description.… (more)

Current discussions

Going Clear -- SHR group read in 75 Books Challenge for 2014

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,494,414 books! | Top bar: Always visible