Bella Tuscany by Frances Mayes

Bella Tuscany (1999)

by Frances Mayes

Frances Mayes takes us back to Bramasole, her home in Tuscany, just as spring comes to Cortona. This time she is with her love Ed; and the home terraces have blossomed, ready for the next phase of planting and design. It is a story of seasons, not just spring, summer fall and winter, it is about the seasons of life: the changes the come expectedly and those that sneak up on us. Bella Tuscany is just the type of book I love to read when the itch to travel is scratched by my lack of funds. So I journey vividly to Italy, and dream about what it would be like to spend a whole summer in this place, or anywhere that I could afford a second home. Also it’s fun to try the recipes she includes, and add the beans and different plants to my garden. 4 stars. ( )
  PamelaBarrett | Jul 25, 2015 |
This book is an easy read. However, it made me hungry and craving fennel. It also sorta inspired me to work on our garden. It reads somewhat like a diary of a year in Tuscany with side trips including Sicily. Frances Mayes loves Italy, food , wine , trees and flowers and makes you love it all too. ( )
  Smits | Jun 6, 2014 |
Sequel to UNDER THE TUSCAN SUN; Frances Mayes has found happinessin love and location. A form of escape reading, but quite well-done and enjoyable. Highly recommended. Don't listen to the author reading her own work, though. ( )
  auntieknickers | Jun 8, 2013 |
This book wasn't as polished as "Under the Tuscan Sun". It didn't seem tidied up, but had a very real steak to it- right out of the journals and onto the page without cleansing the raw impressions and thoughts of the author to please mass readers. This made it a bit uneven but that did not detract from the whole for me- perhaps even added to it for this type of book. I found the author to be more of a real person. ( )
  aylin1 | Mar 31, 2013 |
Frances Mayes s'est enracinée en Toscane. EIle évoque ses liens avec la patrie de son coeur, les gens, les paysages, les monuments, les saveurs, les vins... et nous fait partager les joies et les peines de sa vie familiale. Bella Italia suggère un art de vivre nouveau dont nous partageons l'émerveillement l'espace d'un printemps, puis d'un été ensoleillé.
  PierreYvesMERCIER | Feb 19, 2012 |
For Edward
Stepping inside the fornoI'm suddenly surrounded by the warm aromas of just-baked bread.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 076790284X, Paperback)

Following up on her bestselling novel, Under the Tuscan Sun, Frances Mayes returns to her beloved villa in the small hill town of Cortona, Italy. Welcomed back like an old friend, she is soon puttering in the garden, and as Mayes devotees might expect, busy in the kitchen as well. As Mayes rediscovers her taste for la dolce vita, she embarks on a journey of cultural awakening and embraces a newfound romance with the Italian language and people. "I came to Italy expecting adventure," reads Mayes. "What I never anticipated is the absolute sweet joy of everyday life."

Mayes is as generous a cook as she is a writer, flavoring her story with tasty descriptions of local gustatory delights--many of which are included in a small recipe book. She also serves as narrator, and the beguiling simplicity of her voice makes listening as enjoyable as spending an afternoon with a well-traveled favorite aunt. (Running time: 9 hours, 6 cassettes) --George Laney

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:12:22 -0400)

Continuing Frances Mayes's account of her love affair with Italy. Fresh adventures and updates on the characters introduced in Under the Tuscan sun, and explores new theme in this wonderous corner of the world.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,859,037 books! | Top bar: Always visible